Wrestlers who should have been world champion

Death

Impressive. Most impressive.
@Black
Reaction score
Who do you guys think should have been pushed more to become world champion?

For me, I’ll say Jake Roberts. What say you?

Piper, Roberts are definitely high on the list.
DiBiase, Rude and Henig should have gotten WWF runs.

Common responses: Piper, Hall, Jake, Owen, Hennig, etc. What seem to not take into consideration is pre-Attitude Era, the world belt seldom changed hands. By today's standards, all those guys would have had multiple runs.

The Ravishing One. Rick Rude
His work in WCW was great

I think if Hennig hadnt gotten hurt in late 91 -92 he would have been in the mix.

Also Razor Ramon. He was so over.

skysports-ted-dibiase-wwe_4211537.jpg

Piper.

Let’s be honest he helped build Hulk Hogan.

He was the best heel in the business at the time. At least imo. His heat was so over during the mid 80s i can’t think of a heel more hated. He was even the bad guy on the WWF cartoon.

Some people might disagree with having Hogan lose the strap to him during that time but I think otherwise. They might say Hulkmania was at its height so why take the belt from him?

At some point during inbetween WM1-2, perhaps summer of 1985 they should’ve had piper win the title but In a dirty heel way. I think it would’ve been a bigger pay off if he fought Hogan at WM 2 where Hogan wins and gets his title back. That would’ve been a much better match and a much bigger deal than Hogan/Bundy in the steel cage.

A more recent one is Wade Barrett. When the Nexus was going, that was an opportune time to do it, it was someone new, it would have given everything a shot in the arm, and they needed to right the ship after the "I get DDT'd on concrete, and then I come back to win" fiasco from SummerSlam.

Piper.

Let’s be honest he helped build Hulk Hogan.

He was the best heel in the business at the time. At least imo. His heat was so over during the mid 80s i can’t think of a heel more hated. He was even the bad guy on the WWF cartoon.

Some people might disagree with having Hogan lose the strap to him during that time but I think otherwise. They might say Hulkmania was at its height so why take the belt from him?

At some point during inbetween WM1-2, perhaps summer of 1985 they should’ve had piper win the title but In a dirty heel way. I think it would’ve been a bigger pay off if he fought Hogan at WM 2 where Hogan wins and gets his title back. That would’ve been a much better match and a much bigger deal than Hogan/Bundy in the steel cage.

Yeah, should have had a legitimate heel run with belt, then dropped it back to Hogan at Mania. From what I've heard Hogan say about it(huge grain of salt with anything Hogan says), he didn't drop the belt to Piper because Piper refused to do jobs, i.e. you couldn't trust him to drop it back when the time was right.

Also, while we're on that time period...why was Andre never given a proper run with it? I know he had it that one time for like 2 seconds, but he should have had an actual run with it at some point.

Yeah, should have had a legitimate heel run with belt, then dropped it back to Hogan at Mania. From what I've heard Hogan say about it(huge grain of salt with anything Hogan says), he didn't drop the belt to Piper because Piper refused to do jobs, i.e. you couldn't trust him to drop it back when the time was right.

Also, while we're on that time period...why was Andre never given a proper run with it? I know he had it that one time for like 2 seconds, but he should have had an actual run with it at some point.

Andre was bigger than the belt. He never needed it, you're not gonna give him extra gravitas with it being for the title.

Piper above all.

Hall in WCW.

DiB & Jake & Orndorff & JYD & Bulldog/Regal (stupid, the UK would have been much bigger for the WWE).

Modern era - Cesaro (best worker along AJ).

Let's see if Big Nak gets the belt.

Oh lets just retroactively give anyone a title run because it sure does make modern wrestling so good when they hotshot the belt every 5 minutes
None of these people should've got runs with the belt, especially not Jake
Not Andre
Not Piper
Not Hennig
Not Davey
But especially not Jake

Dibiase getting to keep the belt at The Main Event and losing it to Macho Man at Wrestlemania IV wouldve been better than the tournament but other than that the WWF title was booked perfectly
Yea lets have Hogan lose it every 3 weeks to some random heel that will make things so awesome
It will destroy his invincibility, ruin him as a mainstream star and completely kill the greatest storyline in pro wrestling history and rob us all of the amazing spectacle that was Wrestlemania III
Did you people even watch back then or are you a buncha fuckin dumb ass kids who just wanna ruin shit with your idiocy
Oh you fuckin assholes got my blood boiling

Oh lets just retroactively give anyone a title run because it sure does make modern wrestling so good when they hotshot the belt every 5 minutes
Not Andre
Not Piper
Not Hennig
Not Davey
But especially not Jake

Dibiase getting to keep the belt at The Main Event and losing it to Macho Man at Wrestlemania IV wouldve been better than the tournament but other than that the WWF title was booked perfectly
Yea lets have Hogan lose it every 3 weeks to some random heel that will make things so awesome
It will destroy his invincibility, ruin him as a mainstream star and completely kill the greatest storyline in pro wrestling history and rob us all of the amazing spectacle that was Wrestlemania III
Did you people even watch back then or are you a buncha fuckin dumb ass kids who just wanna ruin shit with your idiocy

I like this. If we want to claim someone needed the belt, Lets say when it would have worked.

Not Andre
Not Piper
Not Hennig
Not Davey
But especially not Jake

Iron Sheik had the belt but not Roddy, the man who made Hogan.

I like this. If we want to claim someone needed the belt, Lets say when it would have worked.

Jake Roberts, Andre, Earthquake or Dibiase (just one) should have taken a dirty pinfall win over Hogan before his Hollywood hiatus.

Rude should have beaten the Warrior for the belt only to lose it shortly thereafter, maybe a summer slam-survivor series run, or even summer slam to rumble. They bet on the wrong horse in that feud, even with the career ending injuries, Rude was better for longer. That would have spared us Sergeant Slaughter with the belt in 91, he was an inferior talent by that point.

Also, between 1991 and 1995, Hennig should have had a run. Flair should have passed perfect the belt, leading to a Hart/perfect program with the title on the line. Either that, or have Perfect take the title from Bret and transition to Diesel on pay per view. There was room for him to get established at the top of the card, and there were a lot worse guys getting pushed around that time.

Back