Wrestlers who should have been world champion

Rick Rude was WCW world champ in the early 1990s, but should have had bigger runs, agreed

To me, a guy like Piper who never had the belt makes me hold him in higher esteem. I see Piper as being so damn good, he never needed the belt. Kind of Like Dusty(I know he had the belt) but he didn't NEED it. Dusty was as over as you could possibly be in the late 70s early 80s whether he had the belt or not. Dibiase, Perfect, etc. All fricking fantastic and never needed the belt.

Scott Hall is a guy who also never needed the belt, but shouldn't have been given it either. Not because of his personal issues, but due to the fact that he could work big man style or smaller guy, and always looked great. You don't want your HW champ putting over small guys in general, which Hall was typically willing to do.

Great point. If you think of it that way, you can come up with guys who never needed the belt. What about guys who needed the belt?

Razor_Ramon_bio.jpg
Damn beat me to it. It amazes me that he never held the title. Great personality and more importantly excellent worker. Had a great balance of building his own character while putting others over.

Maybe not world title level wrestler, but Shane Douglas never seemed to reach his full potential. Although I think that was due to pissing off a lot if people in the business.

A face beating a belt or the belt is the classic wrestling story. Only WWE had a face champion dynamic and it didn’t win the world using it.

Last edited:
A face beating a bee for the belt is the classic wrestling story. Only WWE had a face champion dynamic and it didn’t win the world using it.
You mind translating this once you sober up?

Bee= heel.

Don’t Lakersfan me, I drink beer at 8pm, not 8am.

Answer: None of the wrestlers any of you listed.

There was a reason why they were not selected by the promotion to be in a trusted spot.

You can't deny backstage politics played a role in some of these wrestlers that are definitely deserving of a world title run.

Last edited:
Answer: None of the wrestlers any of you listed.

There was a reason why they were not selected by the promotion to be in a trusted spot.

But some of those decisions were poor. You can’t deny that.

It would have been great to see guys like Brad Armstrong or Arn Anderson get a run with the NWA belt.

Alot of the wrestlers named don't belong in the "should have been world champion". Jake Roberts is the prime example

- He claims that he should've gotten a run with Hogan in late 86 early 87. This was when Roberts had just gotten into the WWE and he was making a name for himself but Hogan was Vince's golden goose. They had a few matches in December of 86 and then in their first Snake Pit segment, Roberts DDTs Hogan and splits his head open legitimately. Sorry, you split open the top guy's head and you're less than a year into your tenure with a new company, good luck. I'm sure Hogan, as was the case back in the day, saw it as a guy trying to hurt Hogan legitimately to take his spot so Hogan never allowed Roberts close to the title while Hogan was with the company. Never a fan of Hogan's backstage antics but if the same had happened to Flair while he was the NWA champ, rest assured Flair wouldn't have worked nor put him over either.

- Then he had his chance when he came back again in '96 and was not the same Jake physically. The WWE was really pushing him but he just wasn't as over as they thought he would be and he was gone within 13 months.

A guy like Scott Hall was never going to be the WWE or WCW world champion because he never wanted nor desired to be the champ. He didn't want the responsibility and has admitted that much.

Lastly, most of the guys we commonly list are guys from the 80s and early 90s but we have to take into consideration that this was from a time when the title really meant something and it wasn't passed around like a toy. It wasn't until the hotshotting and last minute booking for ratings of the Attitude Era did we see World Title change hands numerous times a year. Things simply didn't work that way

Jake Roberts
Scott Hall - A sober Hall could have been top face in 1999 WCW and kept them alive but still way behind WWF
Arn Anderson
Ted DiBiase
Jenna Morasca

I’ve said it before but I think the original Goldust run in WWF, circa mid 90s, would have been an excellent heel champ.

i always see owen mentioned and i dont get it. maybe its because of the way he died that he gets elevated higher than he might have in the eyes of people. i never viewed him as a top talent or anything special. i certainly never looked at him as more than a fringe intercontinental champion. i thought he belonged more as a curtain jerker than a main event guy. i think his last name also helped him. and maybe i am wrong, but there is nothing wwf ever did that gave me the impression they felt any other way than the way i did.

Agree 100%

Bo Dallas.. IC.

I know this is about world champs, but the misuse of that character was obscene.

The reason so many come from the Hogan era is that the company still acted as a territory when it was the nationwide title. The NWA title changed all the time because they had so many worthy talents, and by that point the WWF had even more yet still was stuck in a rut. This is why the company does the heel loses the title to the babyface story almost every year now, it is just better.

Take the Silverdome. Andre decides to betray Hogan and demands a title shot. The cross and shirt scene all plays out as normal. Now a month before or so on SNME Hogan is approached by Andre who apologizes and says the Heenan thing is a mistake. They do a tag match and Andre punches Hogan going for a tag. Hogan gets hurt and is stretchered out. Since he'll be out for 30 days the top two contenders wrestle and the Giant takes the title. His giant hands hold the belt while being driven to the ring.

I SHOULDA BEEN CHAMP IN 97 FUCKIN BISCHOFF HOGAN FLAIR SONS O BITCHES HELD ME BACK I SHOULDA GOTTEN A FUCKIN PUSH IN 97 A WORLD TITLE RUN INSTEAD THEY GAVE IT TO ME THREE YEARS LATE FLAIR DROOPY EYED CROOKED YELLOW TEETH BACKSTABBIN SON OF A BITCH HOGAN YA FUCKIN CUNT GIMME A FUCKIN MIC HES FAT ILL MAKE HIM BLEED

Holla if you hear him

I SHOULDA BEEN CHAMP IN 97 FUCKIN BISCHOFF HOGAN FLAIR SONS O BITCHES HELD ME BACK I SHOULDA GOTTEN A FUCKIN PUSH IN 97 A WORLD TITLE RUN INSTEAD THEY GAVE IT TO ME THREE YEARS LATE FLAIR DROOPY EYED CROOKED YELLOW TEETH BACKSTABBIN SON OF A BITCH HOGAN YA FUCKIN CUNT GIMME A FUCKIN MIC HES FAT ILL MAKE HIM BLEED

My screen name is in honor of you FYI...

Nikita Koloff, curious to see if anyone agrees with me on that one

Back