Wrestling and boxing vs thai and bjj help me choose please?

assDefect20

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Noob here, want to train for self defense. Read that these pairs go well together. Which one should I choose? I am 6'7 and 225, and even though I have long limbs, couldnt really call myself lanky. My upper body is stronger than lower. I would guess that my reach would be a bigger plus in thai, and smaller minus in bjj.I have gone on practice sessions in all, and my estimation of my talent/competitiveness is this (could be an illusion):wrestling,boxing,bjj,thai,which is strange. Also,wherever I look, wrestling and boxing seem to be cheaper,and on my thai practice session "coach" tried to teach me kickboxing kick.

Also,its likely that I wont have time in first 6 months to train both,so in general what should I start first,grappling or striking?

Thanks in advance.

Dude you're already a 6'7 alpha. Why the fuck do you need to learn how to fight. The pecking order is already established.

There are sub-forums just for these questions... why not wrestling and muay thai? or boxing and bjj?

Thanks for the compliment, but my life experience taught me harshly that I cant ever rest on my laurels.I have never gotten into a fight,but you never know, it only takes one drunk idiot to start something, and I want to have something that I can rely on to escape without injuries.

Sumo will make you unbeatable. At 6'7 you can just slap fools back and push them off the curb

I dont know,I guess boxing punches are paired well with pressure of wrestling takedowns, and maybe thai clinch can be used to get down to bjj.

Noob here, want to train for self defense. Read that these pairs go well together. Which one should I choose? I am 6'7 and 225, and even though I have long limbs, couldnt really call myself lanky. My upper body is stronger than lower. I would guess that my reach would be a bigger plus in thai, and smaller minus in bjj.I have gone on practice sessions in all, and my estimation of my talent/competitiveness is this (could be an illusion):wrestling,boxing,bjj,thai,which is strange. Also,wherever I look, wrestling and boxing seem to be cheaper,and on my thai practice session "coach" tried to teach me kickboxing kick.

Also,its likely that I wont have time in first 6 months to train both,so in general what should I start first,grappling or striking?

Thanks in advance.

For you I do Greco, and MT. Being tall, you want to focus on upper body clinching, and your knees be devastating.

Thanks in advance.
When I was a younger man, I preferred Jujitsu. It's simply more fun, and you don't have to go into work with a black eye the next day. There are some schools where you can do a combination of both. If you could do both Thai and Jujitsu, that would be optimal.

I recommend the Sig Sauer P229 or equivalent for self defense.

All 4 of those styles are solid. Pick the ones you enjoy the most.

Wrestling and boxing would be the best for defending yourself on the street. However, if you're competing in MMA you need to learn to at least defend Muay Thai and BJJ attacks. But against untrained people, being able to knock them out with clean punches and control where the fight takes place is key. Wrestling is also key in modern MMA. However in old school style-vs-style matches, BJJ was the best because they could tap anybody.

The average height of posters on this forum is 6’6”.

Hilarious.

When I was a younger man, I preferred Jujitsu. It's simply more fun, and you don't have to go into work with a black eye the next day. There are some schools where you can do a combination of both. If you could do both Thai and Jujitsu, that would be optimal.

Agreed. At 6’7” (if this is even serious), you’re always going to have enough advantage standing to compensate for any skill you lack. Nobody will be able to reach you. But you will want to at least learn the basics about what to do on the ground. Then, focus on standup. You don’t want to be taking guys down to the ground in the street and trying to submit them. But you do want to know what you should be doing if you end up on the ground.

Thanks in advance.

Wrestling and boxing. Bjj is a decent amount about fighting off your back which is very dangerous IRL. Wrestling is all about not being on the bottom, also focus on takedowns and defence is extremely useful.

Muay Thai is inferior to boxing imo. It takes much longer to become skilled in it, most of your opponents will just wing haymakers IRL also making boxing training more applicable in defence.

I

Dude you're already a 6'7 alpha. Why the fuck do you need to learn how to fight. The pecking order is already established.

Below average Sherdogger really, bit of a beta question, bet he only bangs 7's at best

Last edited:
Wrestling and Boxing. Wrestling will make you tough and Boxing will make you extremely sharp while instilling good fundamentals into you that will help you pick up other arts with much more ease. Stay opened minded, it's the best way to take in all art forms. Also do your own research, we can only give basic answers to complex questions.

Back