Wrestling base for BJJ

JohnBoy

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, John here

Had a question for everyone from an older fellow (39yrs)/beginner.

Over the last 2 month and this month I've been really busy with my geezer schedule and have only been able to make my wrestling classes.

Question.
When my schedule settles out and I get back on the mats for BJJ, will the wrestling classes/privates I've taken keep me in the game when I go back rolling with the white belts? Mainly No-gi

Can anyone recommend 10 wrestling moves/techniques that would translate to BJJ, besides singles, doubles and arm drags? I'm seeing my wrestling coach this weekend for a private and would like to focus on moves that counter BJJ no-gi.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my thread.

Regards

Hey guys, John here

Over the last 2 month and this month I've been really busy with my geezer schedule and have only been able to make my wrestling classes.

Question.
When my schedule settles out and I get back on the mats for BJJ, will the wrestling classes/privates I've taken keep me in the game when I go back rolling with the white belts? Mainly No-gi

Can anyone recommend 10 wrestling moves/techniques that would translate to BJJ, besides singles, doubles and arm drags? I'm seeing my wrestling coach this weekend for a private and would like to focus on moves that counter BJJ no-gi.

Regards
I like cradles in no gi. Off of passes, for passing, etc. there’s a guy on here who’s always talking about leg Turks, I wish I could understand the concept more, but it could be cool to incorporate. Lots of folk style stuff translates I’d imagine

Thanks.

I'll ask him about cradles and leg turk's.

So, if you are talking from a self defense prospective wrestling is an amazing base to have. That said, the real weakness is a few things the rules have baked into wrestlers that are super bad.

The first I see in jiujistsu gyms is belly downing as soon as you start getting swept or taken down. I get it that stops your opponent from getting points in wrestling, but it is literally the worst thing you can do in a fight and an mma/bjj fighters wet dream. Just never do that. A good rule of thumb is to always keep that 100 degree arc of vision centered on your opponent. If you can take that away from them than even better.

The second is I usually can take advantage of wrestlers overextending in the half guard. Thats a much deeper topic though.

Yes, your wrestling classes will be of benefit.

I’d talk to your coach about leg riding. Gordon showed how effective this can be versus Gaudio last weekend.

In your advanced, elderly age (I turned 39 last Friday) I’d ask about body locks and trips. Tying up with guys and then falling on them is a whole lot easier than dropping your hips down onto those shattered excuse for knees as you pray to Zeus for the strength to explode off that penetrating leg one last time before retiring the powdered remains of what was once considered “cartilage” to the halls of grappling Valhalla where they watch highlights of your high school football prowess in Sony digital surround sound.

death or glory, friend.

Hey guys, John here

Question.

Regards
Does your wrestling coach has some involvement or familiarity with BJJ too? If so the best thing may be just asking him to help you develop a basic game plan on the feet for nogi he thinks will suit you based on what he's seen of you at the wrestling classes.

Otherwise, the first thing I'd suggest is how to use a Collar Tie to set up single legs and how to defend or counter a Collar Tie. Almost everyone will grab your head on the feet doing nogi even if they've no idea what they're doing. Some basic hand fighting skills and a clear picture of what you're actually trying to do will be a massive leg up at white belt.

A huge amount of sweeps and escapes result in some variation of coming up off the mat into a single leg position even if that's not what you actually started doing. Here are two gi videos showing lots of examples to illustrate the type of thing you'll find yourself doing over and over in both gi and nogi.

Any help he can give you to get good at coming up with and fighting to finish single legs in that way will pay huge dividends on the feet and in so many guards or ways out of bad positions you'll learn later on.

Back