Wrestling Didn't Keep Up With Its Fans

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There are a lot of theories as to why the pro wrestling industry is all but dead compared to the days of the territories when you could find wrestling cards taking place on any given night all over the country, and drawing thousands of fans to each one.

The industry didn't keep up with the expectations of the fans. Case in point: Take a well known offensive maneuever everyone has seen like "Hogan's big boot to the face." If they were trying their best to make it realistic, isn't it reasonable to think that Hogan's opponents would scout him before their match by watching tapes of his earlier matches? So when they see him using that boot to the face in match after match, who is going to be so dumb as to walk right into it? They''re going to grab the ropes, or sidestep it, or grab his leg and take him down. If wrestling wonders why it failed to stay popular, maybe they should ask themselves questions like that one.

Here's another. Why do wrestlers on the mat stay motionless while their opponent climbs the ropes and then dives off the top rope onto them? Are they paralyzed? if they were, their opponent would pin them right then, without taking the risk of climbing up, diving off and giving the guy time to roll out of the way. This isn't exactly rocket science. If you think your opponent is so hurt that the can't even roll out of the way of a dive off the top rope, you'd pin him immediately!

Wrestling fans grew in their sophistication but the industry didn't grow with them!

It's a work.

Brother.

I believe what you're referring to is ring psychology. The greats could tread a fine line between making it feel real(within reasonable suspension of disbelief) and having it be entertaining.

You fucking losers aren't sophisticated, you cheer for dudes who dress up like Disney princesses. Fuck outta here with this dumb shit

You fucking losers aren't sophisticated, you cheer for dudes who dress up like Disney princesses. Fuck outta here with this dumb shit

You seem very threatened by the mere mention of pro wrestling. Your inappropriately hostile response and clinging to curse words like a crutch upon which your very life seems to depend give away what you were hoping to hide.

If you truly feel that way do yourself a favor and use the time you spend in the pro wrestling forum for something productive instead.

You seem very threatened by the mere mention of pro wrestling. Your inappropriately hostile response and clinging to curse words like a crutch upon which your very life seems to depend give away what you were hoping to hide.

If you truly feel that way do yourself a favor and use the time you spend in the pro wrestling forum for something productive instead.

Wresting Nerds: We are too smart now!!

Also Wrestling nerds:
DNYMCBtUEAAWIwx.jpg

Attitude era needs to return for wrestling to be revived.

Wresting Nerds: We are too smart now!!

I don't know if they're smarter know; I doubt it. I think anyone who watches WWE now is probably less intelligent than people who , say, watched ECW 20 years ago. i watched ECW 20 years ago. Now I like listening to interviews with the guys who wrestled in ECW 20 years ago to hear the stories about what it was like. It's fun.

Did you absolutely have to post a picture of a transvestite? What does that have to do with this discussion? Isn't there some kind of rule about not posting obscene pictures in this forum? Even if there isn't, how about exercising just a little bit of self control out of consideration for the rest of the people here?

I don't know if they're smarter know; I doubt it. I think anyone who watches WWE now is probably less intelligent than people who , say, watched ECW 20 years ago. i watched ECW 20 years ago. Now I like listening to interviews with the guys who wrestled in ECW 20 years ago to hear the stories about what it was like. It's fun.

Did you absolutely have to post a picture of a transvestite? What does that have to do with this discussion? Isn't there some kind of rule about not posting obscene pictures in this forum? Even if there isn't, how about exercising just a little bit of self control out of consideration for the rest of the people here?

That chick with a dick is considered the best wrestler in the world right now, that's why rasslin is dead.

Attitude era needs to return for wrestling to be revived.

Kevin Nash proposed an interesting idea along those lines. They could still have their Monday night show on the USA network and give it a new name. Then on the WWE network on Fridays at midnight have a show named RAW and aim the product at adults by allowing more violence, more half naked women, and some foul language.

That way they don't offend the advertisers of the Monday night show on USA but they would also have a product that isn;t geared towards children. I've tried watching the current Monday Night RAW and I can't sit through more than about half an hour of it. And that's not every week either. I watch a little of it just once or twice a month. Sometimes a couple months go by without watching any of it at all. back in the late 90s I looked forward to it all week long and when it aired I watched all two hours and ten minutes of it religiously. That was when Stone Cold was the biggest star in the company and The Rock and Mick Foley were also extremely popular.

As good as it was, I preferred ECW. That was just on another level. The only 2 things they didn't have that wished they did were Stone Cold and Mick Foley even though they were both in ECW for a little while. Foley actually was there or about 2 years. His anti-hardcore promos in his feud with Dreamer were classic!

Kevin Nash proposed an interesting idea along those lines. They could still have their Monday night show on the USA network and give it a new name. Then on the WWE network on Fridays at midnight have a show named RAW and aim the product at adults by allowing more violence, more half naked women, and some foul language.

That way they don't offend the advertisers of the Monday night show on USA but they would also have a product that isn;t geared towards children. I've tried watching the current Monday Night RAW and I can't sit through more than about half an hour of it. And that's not every week either. I watch a little of it just once or twice a month. Sometimes a couple months go by without watching any of it at all. back in the late 90s I looked forward to it all week long and when it aired I watched all two hours and ten minutes of it religiously. That was when Stone Cold was the biggest star in the company and The Rock and Mick Foley were also extremely popular.

As good as it was, I preferred ECW. That was just on another level. The only 2 things they didn't have that wished they did were Stone Cold and Mick Foley even though they were both in ECW for a little while. Foley actually was there or about 2 years. His anti-hardcore promos in his feud with Dreamer were classic!
Yea, WWE may lose sponsors though if their product gets too edgy.

That chick with a dick is considered the best wrestler in the world right now, that's why rasslin is dead.

Damn. That's depressing. Something I really liked 20 years ago has fallen that far. Well, thanks for the information, I guess. BTW, what is his/her name? Does it wrestle men or women?

Did you ever watch pro wrestling and if so what promotion and what time frame, more or less? I watched NWA in the 80s when they had guys like Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, The Road Warriors, Terry Funk, Arn Anderson and Barry Wyndham. I watched ECW in the 90s. I liked Raven, Shane Douglas, Rob Van Dam, New Jack, Tommy Dreamer, The Sandman and Taz.

Damn. That's depressing. Something I really liked 20 years ago has fallen that far. Well, thanks for the information, I guess. BTW, what is his/her name? Does it wrestle men or women?

Did you ever watch pro wrestling and if so what promotion and what time frame, more or less? I watched NWA in the 80s when they had guys like Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, The Road Warriors, Terry Funk, Arn Anderson and Barry Wyndham. I watched ECW in the 90s. I liked Raven, Shane Douglas, Rob Van Dam, New Jack, Tommy Dreamer, The Sandman and Taz.

I've been watching since Bret/Perfect 1991, shit is sad now

I've been watching since Bret/Perfect 1991, shit is sad now

I never saw Bret wrestle Hennig but I bet it was a great match. I saw Bret wrestle HBK in their 60 minute match. That was cool. Maybe my favorite Bret Hart match ever. I loved Bret Hart's feud with Stone Cold Steve Austin..That picture of him bleeding while Bret has the Sharpshooter on him just before Austin "passed out" is an iconic picture. That's pretty much where the fans started accepting Austin as a good guy.

What ruined wresting are these indie darlings who don’t know a drop about ring psychology.

They just hit 40 superkicks, German suplexes thru tables and all these other big spot moves. Then you have these 150 pound indie dorks kicking out and not selling any big spot move.

It waters down the entire sport and imo led to where we are today.

You don’t kick out of 20 finishers at some indie house shoe in front of 42 people in some VFW hall. That shit should be saved for WrestleMania main events. Not two 160 pound nerds working indie shows.

Another thing that ruined wrestling is that all these wrestlers gimmicks and characters suck.

Back when the boys had to improve their own character is when they came off as believable. Now writers write for all the wrestlers. Once again watering down the creative aspect of the show

There are a lot of theories as to why the pro wrestling industry is all but dead compared to the days of the territories when you could find wrestling cards taking place on any given night all over the country, and drawing thousands of fans to each one.

The industry didn't keep up with the expectations of the fans. Case in point: Take a well known offensive maneuever everyone has seen like "Hogan's big boot to the face." If they were trying their best to make it realistic, isn't it reasonable to think that Hogan's opponents would scout him before their match by watching tapes of his earlier matches? So when they see him using that boot to the face in match after match, who is going to be so dumb as to walk right into it? They''re going to grab the ropes, or sidestep it, or grab his leg and take him down. If wrestling wonders why it failed to stay popular, maybe they should ask themselves questions like that one.

Here's another. Why do wrestlers on the mat stay motionless while their opponent climbs the ropes and then dives off the top rope onto them? Are they paralyzed? if they were, their opponent would pin them right then, without taking the risk of climbing up, diving off and giving the guy time to roll out of the way. This isn't exactly rocket science. If you think your opponent is so hurt that the can't even roll out of the way of a dive off the top rope, you'd pin him immediately!

Wrestling fans grew in their sophistication but the industry didn't grow with them!

Um dude, wresting is doing fine.

I think you’re just shitting on WWE.

Indies are making a huge comeback.

WWE doesn’t have competition but that’s the same with UFC.

This is a boom period for wrestling, hasn’t been seen since the Monday Night Wars.

I bet you fap to the that dragon riding peroxide blonde on Game of Shit.

Back