Wrestling Didn't Keep Up With Its Fans

Hate to break it to you guys, but the Attitude Era is never coming back. WWE is a publically traded company. There's never going to be another WWE product that isn't watered-down and politically correct.
That still doesn't mean they had to burry ring psychology, selling, finishers, the tag team division, and belts, though.

Deezy in here bleeding like a bitch on the rag lmfao.

Unfortunately what killed wrestling in my opinion is a lack of competition for WWE. Once Vince's version of the business was all that was left a lot of lifelong fans including myself found other outlets like MMA to waste our time on. In fact, I was at a friend's house recently who's got the network and I tried watching some of the product with he and his family and I just thought it was awful. I don't think the writing or the talent has ever been worse and I can't say I was impressed with anyone's on-mic work either.

It's crazy, but back around '97 when the Monday Night Wars were in full swing I would have never thought I wouldn't even be watching wrestling anymore three or four years later.

I believe what you're referring to is ring psychology. The greats could tread a fine line between making it feel real(within reasonable suspension of disbelief) and having it be entertaining.

No, I'm referring to believability. It's a work but shouldn't obviously look like one.

No, I'm referring to believability. It's a work but shouldn't obviously look like one.
Beleivability is a component of effective ring psychology. Ring psychology is telling a story in a match, that allows the audience to suspend their disbelief and become emotionally invested in the outcome. You can't do that if what you're doing in the ring, makes no sense.

Beleivability is a component of effective ring psychology. Ring psychology is telling a story in a match, that allows the audience to suspend their disbelief and become emotionally invested in the outcome. You can't do that if what you're doing in the ring, makes no sense.

Telling a story is a bad way to describe it.. If you wrote down the "story" of a match" and read it to someone they'd be bored because unlike a novel or a movie, there is no plot of any real substance. Example: "Two guys had a match. One guy pinned the other after 20 minutes of one hell of a hard fought match" Wow, what a story. The things that make it exciting are the things they do to try to win. That's true of any combat sport. Seeing two guys try to beat the hell out of each other is entertaining but it's not really a story. Seeing a guy take a ton of punishment and still win is exciting but it's not a story - not in wrestling or boxing for that matter.

A story requires a plot. In wrestling, the plot, if you want to call it that is always the same - The objective is to win. You win by outwrestling your adversary or in a no rules match you win just by kicking his ass. But the moves they do so that it looks like one hell of a hard fought match should be believable.

Last edited:
Unfortunately what killed wrestling in my opinion is a lack of competition for WWE. Once Vince's version of the business was all that was left a lot of lifelong fans including myself found other outlets like MMA to waste our time on. In fact, I was at a friend's house recently who's got the network and I tried watching some of the product with he and his family and I just thought it was awful. I don't think the writing or the talent has ever been worse and I can't say I was impressed with anyone's on-mic work either.

It's crazy, but back around '97 when the Monday Night Wars were in full swing I would have never thought I wouldn't even be watching wrestling anymore three or four years later.

I second that.

Vince should've kept WCW alive and ran it like a separate company. Swapping wrestlers from each organization. "Jumping ship" would've stayed red hot and the fans go nuts for that type of thing.

You could do a big yearly event between the two companies, almost like an NWA style thing but with two companies instead of many small territories. Heck, Vince could've done a summer event and a winter event between WWF and WCW.

There were too many big name wrestlers under one roof.

I second that.

Vince should've kept WCW alive and ran it like a separate company. Swapping wrestlers from each organization. "Jumping ship" would've stayed red hot and the fans go nuts for that type of thing.

You could do a big yearly event between the two companies, almost like an NWA style thing but with two companies instead of many small territories. Heck, Vince could've done a summer event and a winter event between WWF and WCW.

Fucker can't even make a brand split consistent, let alone run two orgs - failed twice, He pathologically cherry picks for Raw. I'm just waiting for AJ&Nak to be moved and SD gets Heath Slater and R Truth.

I second that.

Vince did the biggest fuck up with the wcw invasion. What a fucking tard! End it all on survival series? made no sense. They could have ran that angle for along time.

Hate to break it to you guys, but the Attitude Era is never coming back. WWE is a publically traded company. There's never going to be another WWE product that isn't watered-down and politically correct.
That still doesn't mean they had to burry ring psychology, selling, finishers, the tag team division, and belts, though.

Yep. You don't have to be "edgy" to tell a good story. I just watched a match between an older Cowboy Bill Watts vs Sting. If Watts won he got 5 minutes in the ring with Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert. Watts threatened to take off his belt and whip Eddie like his daddy should have. He won and proceeded to tear up Gilbert until he was jumped by the Free Birds. It was just good heels putting over a face and the crowd was super Hot for it. If you bottled up all the pops from the WWE crowds today, it would take 6 months to get what Mid South did in that 12 minutes.

Vince did the biggest fuck up with the wcw invasion. What a fucking tard! End it all on survival series? made no sense. They could have ran that angle for along time.

Perhaps, but the fans saw through it. Once Vince owned it all, the feud became artificial. The angle could've been handled better, but it was always going to be some cheap imitation of the real brand war we witnessed.

Also, they were working with a limited roster. If all of the big WCW guys had come over, it's a different story, but it's hard to get excited over a WCW invasion, with the B team representing WCW.

Um dude, wresting is doing fine.

I think you’re just shitting on WWE.

Indies are making a huge comeback.

WWE doesn’t have competition but that’s the same with UFC.

This is a boom period for wrestling, hasn’t been seen since the Monday Night Wars.
Agreed!

Not sure how pro wrestling/WWE are “dead” when WrestleManias are selling 60-80K seats every year.

Only complaint I have about pro wrestling is that are way too many PPVs. One can only keep up with so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back