wrestling mat work vs grappling

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
which do you think is harder more technical? not meaning ones better than the other but which to you was harder to pick up

wrestling has always felt much more intuitive for me, BJJ and Judo on the other hand I feel like a lost kid in a grocery store.

Wrestling kinda... makes "sense" to me and feels natural

Generally grappling, but wrestling gives a really good base for it. Partere and front head lock in particular, are very useful positions to be able to grapple from without getting yourself pinned. You can control many opponents from partere, folkstyle rules are nice because it can reward good riders. Freestyle is a little different, for it rewards exposure and rolls (gut wrench, usually). If you develop a good partere control, it opens up a lot of attacks for grapplers and is good to implement.

which do you think is harder more technical? not meaning ones better than the other but which to you was harder to pick up

All of it is grappling.

The question you are really asking is, which specific rule set has greater possibility space? Generally, this means the more 'open' a rule set is, but this is not always necessarily the case; specifically, in cases where there is a certain tactic or set of tactics opened up that are both relatively straitforeward and disproportionately effective. Ground fighting in MMA for instance; it is a more 'open' ruleset than grappling without strikes, but you do not necessarily need to have a highly aretic game developed to be able to sub people in order to finish them anymore, you 'just' need to be able to ride them and control limbs, and finish them with ground and pound.

wrestling has always felt much more intuitive for me, BJJ and Judo on the other hand I feel like a lost kid in a grocery store.

Wrestling kinda... makes "sense" to me and feels natural

yeah stuffs like half nelsons bar arms ect you can almost do naturally in bjj obviously theres more details to it but seems alot easier to pick up than the technical things of jiu jitsu especially for a beginner

All of it is grappling.

The question you are really asking is, which specific rule set has greater possibility space? Generally, this means the more 'open' a rule set is, but this is not always necessarily the case; specifically, in cases where there is a certain tactic or set of tactics opened up that are both relatively straitforeward and disproportionately effective. Ground fighting in MMA for instance; it is a more 'open' ruleset than grappling without strikes, but you do not necessarily need to have a highly aretic game developed to be able to sub people in order to finish them anymore, you 'just' need to be able to ride them and control limbs, and finish them with ground and pound.

well in mma from riding u can lock your hands so id think breakdowns would be easier right? but guys today arnt really pulling guard after a takedown they are trying to stand back up which is where wrestling shines with keeping guys down guys who just try to jump on the back usually lose nowadays due to guys being more technical

Back