wrestling pins for mma

Nope, I’m from Ohio lol. I went to the same College as coach Javier, a few years after him. And I also know coach Tribet who coached at Osceola and was teammates in college with and coached by a couple of Osceola high school alum. I seriously looked at potentially coaching in central Florida or North Georgia before moving back to Ohio. I try to keep track though.

I’m a big fan of coach Javier Maldonado, and the fact the fact he’s been able to establish a varsity college wrestling program in the state of Florida, given the political stuff and red tape involved is amazing.

Yeah, it seemed as though every college in FL wants to have as little to do with collegiate wrestling as possible.

Although you def made the right decision, I wish you would have decided to come to FL. There are some great guys around, but they are spread thin. Good thing though, in the off season, the better HS programs let kids form other schools come train.

seu has a team too? i thought the only college was ucf that had a wrestling team im not familiar with orlando besides kissimmee area as i use to be a prince for disney back in 2013-14
Southeastern started a varsity NAIA program a couple years ago. That’s probably looking to move up to DII for wrestling in the next few years. If you go into their asking to do mat wrestling and think you will be “too good” for them because it isn’t DI.. you’re going to get ridden like a dog and not keep anyone down

Yeah, it seemed as though every college in FL wants to have as little to do with collegiate wrestling as possible.

Although you def made the right decision, I wish you would have decided to come to FL. There are some great guys around, but they are spread thin. Good thing though, in the off season, the better HS programs let kids form other schools come train.
I know for a fact from someone who was in the room, that in the mid 90s there was a strong movement to start DI wrestling at Florida State, Self funded, all paperwork ready to go.. Bobby Bowden walked into the room, said something along the lines of “Gentlemen, I love recruiting wrestlers, they’re some of my best lineman and defensive players. But as long as I’m the head coach at Florida State we aren’t spending no money on a wrestling program” and walked out.. meeting was ended right then

And my biggest frustration with the South and wrestling isn’t that it’s not as good “overall” as the north. My issue is that I don’t see it getting better as long as the same 5 Schools “acquire” all of the high level kids even if they aren’t from that area. Its why the southern states even with their improvements have no depth beyond their top top level studs. I mainly moved because I wanted to go back home for a little bit more so than any coaching thing primarily. A lot will depend on if I get a permanent teaching job at a place I want to stay at long term

Southeastern started a varsity NAIA program a couple years ago. That’s probably looking to move up to DII for wrestling in the next few years. If you go into their asking to do mat wrestling and think you will be “too good” for them because it isn’t DI.. you’re going to get ridden like a dog and not keep anyone down
again i never said im too good before i was just asking about the level of guys they were to know what to somewhat expect going in

id think florida would have awesome wrestling given they are amazing at all sports

again i never said im too good before i was just asking about the level of guys they were to know what to somewhat expect going in

id think florida would have awesome wrestling given they are amazing at all sports
Everything goes into football and wrestling is not culturally embedded the way it is in the Rust Belt. For all that dumbass wrestling dads claiming adding the two piece won’t help participation.. in Florida multiple, no a lot of teams have gotten kids to try it out because they don’t have to wear the singlet

i hate how hard it is trying to get into it after high school or college i have friends who tell me they r the only adult alot of times when they go to a club cause its mostly kids or hs students are they usually very welcoming to people or do they see you as getting in the way

i hate how hard it is trying to get into it after high school or college i have friends who tell me they r the only adult alot of times when they go to a club cause its mostly kids or hs students are they usually very welcoming to people or do they see you as getting in the way
It depends but usually most club coaches are pretty cool. What has annoyed coaches I know is Bjj people who come in and instead of just practicing and listening constantly argue that “it won’t work” in Bjj/mma and/or question it in the non learning way

It depends but usually most club coaches are pretty cool. What has annoyed coaches I know is Bjj people who come in and instead of just practicing and listening constantly argue that “it won’t work” in Bjj/mma and/or question it in the non learning way
yeah id never do that i hope they have some good over under greco stuff too thats something that very very hard to find at any mma gym tbh greco isnt that big in usa sadly i guess due to folkstyle

yeah id never do that i hope they have some good over under greco stuff too thats something that very very hard to find at any mma gym tbh greco isnt that big in usa sadly i guess due to folkstyle
It’s due to a lot of reasons but Florida is actually a good state for Greco

Back