Wrestling shots in gi

Magic Swag

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
What sorts of entries do you all use in gi? People seem all too eager to grab material and stiff arm. Should be stalling call almost immediately but I digress ...

If they try to stiff arm, I grab their lapel same side and flare my elbow for a duck under to either shoot or move to the back

ePiZWTE.png

I always go for a high-collar grip. It allows for good ankle pick entries and sweep-single-legs.

Shooting in the gi is pretty hard if you're just trying to use generic wrestling setups. As noted, it's pretty easy to stiff arm people away and prevent the shot, and achieving any kind of separation is just really hard with the cloth. As such, you really need to use the gi to setup the shot and don't expect to get the same kind of penetration you would in wrestling. Collar drags to single legs work really well, as do ankle picks since you don't have to get in on the hips as much. Firemans work better in the gi in my opinion, because you can create so much pull to enter. A lot of times the grip you'll want is one collar grip and to lock down the sleeve on the other side so that when you go to shoot uke won't be able to block your entry. Get the sleeve grip locked down as priority #1, and then get your collar grip and attack.

Learn to love knee/ankle picks. I can hit these even with only one lapel grip. A full penetration step can be stuffed easier in the gi, but a crisp set up can still get you the takedown.

I have been using the ankle pick for a while (most underrated sweep as well) but lately i have been using it in combination with the snap down. I use a high collar cross grip and use the remaining hand low on the lapel. When they don't fight the snap down take the back. When they fight the snap down pick the ankle or single leg.

Back