Wrist locks in BJJ rolling

They can’t tap you with wrist locks because you’re worried about your ability to play guitar?

Wait what?

Playing guitar is important to this guy's life?

Stop training in the Gi right now. Train no gi for life.

If you stick with grappling your fingers will thank me in 20 years.

Wait what?

Playing guitar is important to this guy's life?

Stop training in the Gi right now. Train no gi for life.

If you stick with grappling your fingers will thank me in 20 years.
This has left me genuinely concerned lol

For real I love wrist locks. A good wrist lock to me is the "essence" of joint locks: attacking the smallest most vulnerable target with your whole body. I roll and look for wrist locks as much as anything else. I also look for them standing, even in comp too. They really change how people grapple against you. I've come close to landing kote gaeshi in tournaments a few times but have yet to fully seal the deal :(

Wrist locks always catch me off guard, and I tap to them with a fucking quickness.

I don't think they're dirty at all, but as others have said, by their nature they are more "dangerous" than a lot of other subs. My wrists are already pretty damaged, so I don't take any chances.

The wrist lock I hate most is when they pin my arm and wrist under the weight of their whole body. There's a super heavy weight brown belt at my gym who does it, and I kind of hate him for it. He tries to control it, but it's hard to tap in time when you have 130kgs coming down on your wrist.

Wrist locks always catch me off guard, and I tap to them with a fucking quickness.

I don't think they're dirty at all, but as others have said, by their nature they are more "dangerous" than a lot of other subs. My wrists are already pretty damaged, so I don't take any chances.

The wrist lock I hate most is when they pin my arm and wrist under the weight of their whole body. There's a super heavy weight brown belt at my gym who does it, and I kind of hate him for it. He tries to control it, but it's hard to tap in time when you have 130kgs coming down on your wrist.
Go verbal.

Go verbal.

Yeah, I do. I tap verbally and physically... But even then, its just one of those subs where the time between pain and damage is so damn close. I wish there was a way to wrist lock without the element of surprise... But it is what it is, I guess.

Both gyms I've trained at have wrist lockers. They tend to be crafty old upper belts, always looking to employ their treachery on youngsters unsuspecting of it. I should really get better at using them - they really keep you off-guard and make you second guess!

I remember having this problem before when I try to block with my hands the guard pass. My friend got the body wristlock on me one time during exactly that fashion. I know now to block with my forearms, not my hands, better yet, create a strong frame first before the passer even gets that close.

I just started to do more wristlocks. Most of the time I just grab them and hold the position until my opponent figures it out. I try not to put pressure on it. I use them mostly because I am lazy and they are easy......

I hate them with a passion

...because I lost a pro match to one and my wrist still isn't 100% a year later

I hate them with a passion

...because I lost a pro match to one and my wrist still isn't 100% a year later
I had my wrist reconstructed (from judo) and I fear the wrist lock. I still like to do them. Its been 8 years since my surgery. I don't think it will ever be right again.....

Go verbal.
So many upper belts I know dislike verbal tapping. I don't get it. On heel hooks and wrist locks I almost always verbal tap even if I don't think I need to. But I've had other upper belts be like "Nah man. Fuck that. I'm not verbal tapping unless it's really bad." Dude who cares if other people hear that you've tapped. Verbal tap also doesn't mean you have to scream like a wuss. You can just calmly say "tap."

So many upper belts I know dislike verbal tapping. I don't get it. On heel hooks and wrist locks I almost always verbal tap even if I don't think I need to. But I've had other upper belts be like "Nah man. Fuck that. I'm not verbal tapping unless it's really bad." Dude who cares if other people hear that you've tapped. Verbal tap also doesn't mean you have to scream like a wuss. You can just calmly say "tap."
Well, I admit I'm a tad over the top with my verbal tapping, but I don't care as long I don't get injured. I usually say "para!para!"(stop) or "pegou!pegou!"(gotcha)

If I can't physically tap I'll scream like a bitch if it saves my knees. I verbal tap all the time, it's often safer when you're using both hands to try and defend a lock.

If I can't physically tap I'll scream like a bitch if it saves my knees. I verbal tap all the time, it's often safer when you're using both hands to try and defend a lock.
Yep! Keep those hands in place and just verbal. That's what I do too.

Well, I admit I'm a tad over the top with my verbal tapping, but I don't care as long I don't get injured. I usually say "para!para!"(stop) or "pegou!pegou!"(gotcha)
Lol that's awesome

Honorable mention for "Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

100% - I have no issue verbally tapping and quite loudly at that. In general, when I tap it's repeated and forceful. Better than getting hurt.

I train with a ton of lower belts, though, who will always do the half-hearted single tap, and in the rare cases they verbally tap, they kind of mumble it. It's kind of infuriating to know that they are pretty much guaranteed to get hurt down the line.

I never understood why wrist locks are viewed as rude. I don't think they work against good opponents anyway. People in my academy try them but they only work against white belts or accidentally due to position once in a blue moon

I never understood why wrist locks are viewed as rude. I don't think they work against good opponents anyway. People in my academy try them but they only work against white belts or accidentally due to position once in a blue moon

You should ask Claudio Calasans about that.

Back