Wrist submision is not legal in UFC or mma?

norsuu

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
lots of martial arts uses wrist submisions in their class and trainings...

they form part of a real fight..but i have never seen this in a mma fight..in any organzation...Are it banned?

this is one one the steven seagal's favorite techniques..:cool:

i know fingers and toes are banned but since ankle locks are legal wrist locks make sense to me. Maybe there not practical in mma?

Jacare would dominate

That pop is scary

Wrist is not considered a small joint, so wrist locks are legal. But not easy to get in MMA.

This question gets asked all the time.

Wrist locks are not illegal. It's a complex joint but not a small one. They are just not very common techniques in high level submission grappling competition as far as I know.

It's really just the upper body analog to a footlock.

Wrist is not considered a small joint, so wrist locks are legal. But not easy to get in MMA.

This question gets asked all the time.

I think that refers to fingers, knuckles, toes etc

The reason I think you don't see wrist locks is that they're pretty tough to pull off and the gloves make matters worse

Turns out you're both right.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/so-wrist-locks-not-allowed-509648/

8. Small joint manipulation. Fingers and Toes are small joints. Wrists, Ankles, Knees, Shoulders and Elbows are all large joints.

Off the top of my head I can only speak for ammy-MMA. They can be used to control, but not submit. In other words, you can use them as part of a throw or to control grip, but you cannot attack the writs directly with a submission.

They are in fact legal! They are much harder to pull off in No Gi than in Gi, which means harder in MMA. Plus wrist locks often require a two on one . Meaning you have to use both of your hands to pin one of his. In MMA this leaves the guy getting wrist locked with one hand to punch you . So there it is , it usually requires a two one one . - Lotus Club Purple Belt

Gloves make wrist manipulation a lot harder, and on top of that, wrist shit is already hard to do against experienced opponents. I roll pretty frequently no-gi and no gloves and I can't remember the last time someone caught me with any kind of wrist lock, and I'm not even that good. Now imagine that at the highest level.

Dave Hermann's "omoplata" submission in Bellator was actually a wrist lock. You can see the video if you search the fight.

Gloves make wrist manipulation a lot harder, and on top of that, wrist shit is already hard to do against experienced opponents. I roll pretty frequently no-gi and no gloves and I can't remember the last time someone caught me with any kind of wrist lock, and I'm not even that good. Now imagine that at the highest level.

You’re right, but wrist locks are effective when they come by surprise. And the wrist breaks easily so the one wrist locking needs to be responsible.

Jacare would dominate

That pop is scary

That's why you have to do knuckle pushups + makiwara training + chi-ishi training. Karate may be weak on a lot of things, but that wrist lock would never work on a true Karate black belt. Their wrists are way too strong.

lots of martial arts uses wrist submisions in their class and trainings...

they form part of a real fight..but i have never seen this in a mma fight..in any organzation...Are it banned?

this is one one the steven seagal's favorite techniques..:cool:
It is legal in mma, it’s so inaffective it never gets used

ok.. i wanna sound dumb and be the devils advocate but...why can they stamp on toes but bot pull them? Or punch the nose but not pull it??
Ok i know but...it's kinda funny

Its a conspiracy to keep aikido from dominating

Back