Wrist submision is not legal in UFC or mma?

If he hadn't torqued the shit out of his arm it looks like Aoki was gonna try it.
pOnrmcq.gif

Refs would probably flag them for grabbing the gloves if they tried anyway.

They are in fact legal! They are much harder to pull off in No Gi than in Gi, which means harder in MMA. Plus wrist locks often require a two on one . Meaning you have to use both of your hands to pin one of his. In MMA this leaves the guy getting wrist locked with one hand to punch you . So there it is , it usually requires a two one one . - Lotus Club Purple Belt

every submission of the arm/hand is 2 on 1.

Only idiots and Aikido nutriders think wrist locks are illegal in MMA.

Wouldn't the wrist/hand wrap make it much harder to pull off a wrist lock

Trust me, if toe-holds were legal, Vitor would be undefeated.

You're fighting against the glove plus the taping on their hands often goes down to the wrist. That's a lot of support to try and fight through to get the Sub.

Try to pull off a wristlock when you and your opponent both have wraps and gloves on

I kept meaning to ask but ever got round to it, small joint movements such as bending the wrist or fingers aren't allowed in MMA, how come toe holds such as the one a Dillon Danis used are allowed?

Didn't Pettis wristy Benson or was that considered arm bar?

You’re right, but wrist locks are effective when they come by surprise. And the wrist breaks easily so the one wrist locking needs to be responsible.
Wow hombre you're like 3 years in the past, much respect. Sure, I don't disagree, my point was that if you're fighting someone who is actively fighting you then I doubt you're going to get any wrist work in, especially if there are gloves involved which tape the wrists.

I suppose in a weird scenario IRL it could work if you slapped that shit on against someone not expecting it, 'surprise wrist lock' as you say, but I think if you can get it to work you probably shouldn't be fighting that person as they're most likely a) drunk or b) someone who you're supremely better than.

Don't get me wrong if a drunk dude is fucking with you and they cross the line you fuckin break that wrist, hombre, I just don't see it working on someone of equal or better skill than you who is also competent, and as a general rule I prefer to train and drill techniques that will work against trained killers.

Back