WSJ: Silicon Valley Struggles to Add Conservatives to Its Ranks

Funny how these tech companies exist today and make money hand over fist because of the capitalist society we have... Not to mention run up the price if real estate out there without shame.... Yet denounce and vilify a political point of view and party that whole heartedly supports the type of corporate greed they practice.

Those whiney fucks will be the first to reap the benefits of a Trump tax cut, but have way too much face to save within their circle of "woke" politicos to admit it.

You’re right. But TBF I was also just arguing with my father the other day about how I don’t need a tax cut. I don’t need an increase but I don’t need a cut either.

Agreed about rising rent prices. There’s a lot of mental gymnastics that go along with the tech boom in the Bay Area.

Do you piss all over the urinals and walls? Then go home and stroke your guns because you need them to feel alpha!?
You sound tough. A Roy Moore kinda guy.

we have found the ingrate in this thread. thank you for pointing yourself out.

Always loved me some Monica. Would wife.

courteney-cox-friends-celebrity-kitchen-sexy-2.jpg

When I was working (health care), I was too busy working to discuss politics. Plus, I knew better than to discuss politics or religion at work (or anywhere). Why aren't people working at work rather than discussing non-work related issues.

I don't get it either. How does politics really come into play at work?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/silicon-valley-struggles-to-add-conservatives-to-its-ranks-1512136801

I agree, actually. I worked as a software developer in Silicon Valley for about 5 years. I tend to be a liberal-libertarian (maybe a constitutionalist?), so my views on the second amendment for instance don’t go over well, and I had managers/GMs who would be vocal about conservatives/republicans being “evil” or other such terms. One of them even used the companies Twitter account to share his personal views (without ramification). I knew other people who were libertarians who felt the same.

Any of you in tech in the Bay Area? What’s been your experience?

Cutting edge tech development isn't really suited to conservative or reactionary mindsets. "Disruptive innovation" is the goal. That's not just the case in the US, although your politics are more polarised than most. Libertarianism/Classical Liberalism is pretty common though.

I live in NYC and work for an e-commerce company.

I'm the only one in the office with conservative sympathies [not necessarily saying that I'm a conservative but I don't demonize them] and almost everyone in the office is incredibly liberal.

Doesn't really bother me.

Political views are largely shaped by personality dispositions and personal experiences.

Young and highly educated people that live in cities are more likely to be liberal and that's the kind of labor force that makes up Silicon Valley's workforce.

I'm the only one in the office with conservative sympathies [not necessarily saying that I'm a conservative but I don't demonize them] and almost everyone in the office is incredibly liberal.
This is true almost everywhere in America. Cuckservatives on their last leg. Lol!

When I was working (health care), I was too busy working to discuss politics. Plus, I knew better than to discuss politics or religion at work (or anywhere). Why aren't people working at work rather than discussing non-work related issues.
I never discussed politics at work, except when that communist was spreading his bullshit, but my superiors shared my anti-commie position.

Young and highly educated people that live in cities are more likely to be liberal and that's the kind of labor force that makes up Silicon Valley's workforce.
I wonder if that's true for Silicon Valley or if conservatives are simply repressed there. Because in my experience, people in STEM are more commonly on the right than the left. The left dominates the social sciences.
I mean, not bible belt style conservatives but somewhat libertarian type right wingers(usually loners or socially awkward, the kind that you find playing video games, 90% white/asian male) or capitalist types(preppy guys in business suits that want tax cuts to become even richer).
While the social sciences people in my college were the hippies with purple hair that wanted affirmative action and trans bathrooms.

In fact, a good example is that guy that got fired from google.

Depends on how you are classifying the conservative / liberal design. Silicon Valley for a while had the aura of developing social change, but in today's world, they are completely profit motivated. Developing apps / software / tech that can skyrocket on the market quickly and sell easily.

On the individual views of SV employees / C levels / Executives -- they tend to lean further left on social issues, wealth distribution (nebulous), open markets, immigration etc. But they also tend to lean right on labor unions and regulation of the tech industry.

However I do not know of any company or employee who doesn't jump on the opportunity to find every loop hole and keep as much revenue as they can.

I think they mostly fall under the "do as I say not as I do" leftism

If your coworkers were anti-firearm or super militant pro-choice, I get that. Those are issues of principle where there really isn't a clear right or wrong.

But on most issues that are liberal vs. conservative in America, it's a matter of ignorance versus pragmatism. On those issues, I have no sympathy.

Horeshit. You knew full well when posting that it would consist of mainly the derp brigade going "hurrrr durrrr...trump! Hurrrr durrrr conservetards!"

....did you not read the OP? He's clearly implying his position for conservatives and against elitist liberals.

Also, I'm impressed that not only could you think up "conservetard," which I have literally never seen posted here once (unlike libtard, cuck, and snowflake), but that you could also manage to misspell your made-up term.

conservAtive === conservatard

I once bust into the staff room hollering about someone shitting and not flushing, and finished the rant with "ffs, there wasn't even any tp, someones got a dirty ass!". Those were the good old days before hr.
Use one stall then clean up in the other. Act like you’ve been here before

Silicon valley is all about H1 Visas and offshoring, something that right wing "ideology" (prob not GOP reality since they would never spite big money) is against, so every exec with equity is going to hate right wing politics. Also, silicon valley products target dumbass kids who believe in identity politics, so they have to be against.

While I don't think there's anything noteworthy about a company working to expand the range of ideas it takes into consideration...it does make for some interesting questions:

1) If you're against identity politics, does that include when identity politics work to try and include your identity?

2) If you think that there's a legitimate argument that your identity is not being fairly represented...does that mean that you agree when someone else says that their identity isn't being fairly represented?

Cutting edge tech development isn't really suited to conservative or reactionary mindsets. "Disruptive innovation" is the goal. That's not just the case in the US, although your politics are more polarised than most. Libertarianism/Classical Liberalism is pretty common though.

I’m inclined to agree, but these companies still have traditional roles in accounting, marketing and analytics that can be filled by conservatives.

If your political views are getting in the way of your job prospects then that seems to be more of a personal problem considering unless you're working in politics it likely has nothing to do with your job.

Anyway a lot of companies are going towards the STFU about politics in the workplace route because all it does is cause tension and adds nothing to the bottom line. Could you imagine how fucked your business would be if it looked like the WR?

Back