WSJ: Silicon Valley Struggles to Add Conservatives to Its Ranks

I don't believe these people have any desire to 'cultivate ideological diversity'. They're just realizing their best brightest employees don't even consider applying because it's such a backward hostile environment & H1B java zombies only get you so far. They're opting for the gig/startup economy over sitting in a corner with duct-tape over their mouth.

It's similar to watching the best brightest students shift towards accelerated distance education, increasingly skeptical of American resident universities which have acquired an image of mediocrity/stagnation/a place where blue-haired fat chicks go to die.

That's 'class conflict'/'culture war' in a bottle though. When the underlings infiltrate any type of institution that institution simply hemorrhages its value. They can't truly win, only devalue.

They need to hire the best possible candidates. Don't give into the affirmative action bullshit.

Hard to hire "conservatives" when they are busy calling everyone who disagrees with them a libtard.

I’m inclined to agree, but these companies still have traditional roles in accounting, marketing and analytics that can be filled by conservatives.

I figure most of them would be outsourcing that, aside from analytics perhaps. Then again, creative use of 'big data' isn't something I associate with conservative thinkers either.

Who raised all these pussies? It's quite obvious the nerfing of childhood has some serious implications

I figure most of them would be outsourcing that, aside from analytics perhaps. Then again, creative use of 'big data' isn't something I associate with conservative thinkers either.

The companies I’ve worked for kept it in house (well, we do outsource marketing but also keep some in house for cross app promotion, internal promotionss, etc). Most large companies, afaik, do too. I think product/project management lends itself more to conservative thinking.

Engineering does seem to skew more liberal and somewhat libertarian, but I’m not sure if that’s actually true or if conservative engineers go out of their way not to disclose their ideaology. Probably a column a/column b thing.

When I was working (health care), I was too busy working to discuss politics. Plus, I knew better than to discuss politics or religion at work (or anywhere). Why aren't people working at work rather than discussing non-work related issues.

I replied to this already but thought I’d give a little more insight. This kind of stuff shouldn’t be discussed at work (my experience is that even higher-ups can do it which causes problems downstream but I’ll ignore that for now). But there’s a big “work hard/play hard” culture at a lot of these companies, and it’s during happy hours after work when it comes out.

Not to mention social media. The smart thing to do is stay off it, imo. But I also don’t think retweeting Trump on your spare time should affect your employment (no matter how much I don’t like him).

The companies I’ve worked for kept it in house (well, we do outsource marketing but also keep some in house for cross app promotion, internal promotionss, etc). Most large companies, afaik, do too. I think product/project management lends itself more to conservative thinking.

Engineering does seem to skew more liberal and somewhat libertarian, but I’m not sure if that’s actually true or if conservative engineers go out of their way not to disclose their ideaology. Probably a column a/column b thing.

Yeah, I guess the silicon valley companies are significantly bigger than what I'm used to.
Over here the bleeding edge tech companies tend to stay at the small team stage, focusing on their core abilities, and form strategic alliances or get bought out by larger concerns (while still retaining a large degree of independence).

"Diversity chief."

Shit ,what a fucking con job that job is. Imagine that companies actually pay a "Diversity chief."

Yeah, I guess the silicon valley companies are significantly bigger than what I'm used to.
Over here the bleeding edge tech companies tend to stay at the small team stage, focusing on their core abilities, and form strategic alliances or get bought out by larger concerns (while still retaining a large degree of independence).

I think they have more of the right idea, to a point. As you grow, it becomes a liability to rely on other companies (they can go out of business, mess up do to bad practices, etc.) so you either a) get acquired yourself, b) build those departments out or c) acquire/acqui-hire someone who does that task.

Where are you at, btw?

I think they have more of the right idea, to a point. As you grow, it becomes a liability to rely on other companies (they can go out of business, mess up do to bad practices, etc.) so you either a) get acquired yourself, b) build those departments out or c) acquire/acqui-hire someone who does that task.

Where are you at, btw?

Australia.

I wonder if that's true for Silicon Valley or if conservatives are simply repressed there. Because in my experience, people in STEM are more commonly on the right than the left. The left dominates the social sciences.
I mean, not bible belt style conservatives but somewhat libertarian type right wingers(usually loners or socially awkward, the kind that you find playing video games, 90% white/asian male) or capitalist types(preppy guys in business suits that want tax cuts to become even richer).
While the social sciences people in my college were the hippies with purple hair that wanted affirmative action and trans bathrooms.

In fact, a good example is that guy that got fired from google.

I've seen some stats presented to me and based off that it seems that even STEM fields have a higher liberal population too.

Not as dramatic as the social science fields but still a left-leaning demographic.

Conservatives are generally too racist, sexist, homophobic and lacking critical thought or an open mind. It's no surprise they aren't in abundance in the most forward thinking technological companies.

Tech Nerd: "Here's the latest virtual reality spec, try it."
Conservative: "But will it turn me gay?"
Tech Nerd: "Erm i don't think so".
Conservative: "But i read on Breitbart!"

I tried sitting reverse when crunching one time, good thing it wasn't my biff.
We call it the reverse kangaroo. Looks like a kangaroo jumping from side on.

I wonder if that's true for Silicon Valley or if conservatives are simply repressed there. Because in my experience, people in STEM are more commonly on the right than the left. The left dominates the social sciences.
I mean, not bible belt style conservatives but somewhat libertarian type right wingers(usually loners or socially awkward, the kind that you find playing video games, 90% white/asian male) or capitalist types(preppy guys in business suits that want tax cuts to become even richer).
While the social sciences people in my college were the hippies with purple hair that wanted affirmative action and trans bathrooms.

In fact, a good example is that guy that got fired from google.
Those socially awkward libertarian types seem to be getting pushed out by foreigners. These days having any kind of success means more than technical skills. Business acumen, people skills, and leadership skills play a huge role. Kind of hard to show those being an angry misanthrope. These are guys who get liberal arts educations, but rather than going through college they are educated using internet message boards.

Those preppy guys you mentioned are likely a-political. They certainly don't have any interest is something as trivial as identity politics. Their care about politics does not go beyond their income statement.

The meme of liberals only getting liberal arts degrees is simply that. A meme. They still have a dominant presence in STEM.

Those socially awkward libertarian types seem to be getting pushed out by foreigners. These days having any kind of success means more than technical skills. Business acumen, people skills, and leadership skills play a huge role. Kind of hard to show those being an angry misanthrope. These are guys who get liberal arts educations, but rather than going through college they are educated using internet message boards.

Those preppy guys you mentioned are likely a-political. They certainly don't have any interest is something as trivial as identity politics. Their care about politics does not go beyond their income statement.

The meme of liberals only getting liberal arts degrees is simply that. A meme. They still have a dominant presence in STEM.
Not really for programmers, and I guess they're being pushed out by foreigners because they're cheaper.
On the other hand, I think this kind of people is more likely to get a job at defense or Wall Street rather than silicon valley.
I think it's also important to play liberal in silicon valley, I doubt Mark Zuckerberg cares about identity politics or trans bathrooms but he knows it may help him make money.

Conservatives are generally too racist, sexist, homophobic and lacking critical thought or an open mind. It's no surprise they aren't in abundance in the most forward thinking technological companies.

Tech Nerd: "Here's the latest virtual reality spec, try it."
Conservative: "But will it turn me gay?"
Tech Nerd: "Erm i don't think so".
Conservative: "But i read on Breitbart!"
Another retard presents itself. The irony when liberals/democrats are the new party of bigotry and racism. Who knew you could be both a conservative and also a decent person? You're the one with the closed mind and too fucking retarded to realize it.

Not really for programmers, and I guess they're being pushed out by foreigners because they're cheaper.
On the other hand, I think this kind of people is more likely to get a job at defense or Wall Street rather than silicon valley.
I think it's also important to play liberal in silicon valley, I doubt Mark Zuckerberg cares about identity politics or trans bathrooms but he knows it may help him make money.
Funny you mention defense. I worked for a defense contractor in the bay area for a decade so that is what I base my opinion on. For highly specialized disciplines you'd get the eccentric awkward nerd types. For your run of the mill engineers they would generally be the more sociable types.

Back