WTF happened to Sportscenter?

I wish I was making this stuff up. I remember one where a blind kid got to meet his(his dad's) favorite thoroughbred and the kid had to act like it was the best day of his life because he got to hear the sound of the horse running on the track. Meanwhile, his father was in utopia while he gets to enjoy the sounds and SIGHTS of his favorite Kentucky Derby horse. The dad was literally more giddy than a 12 year old girl meeting the Backstreet Boys in 1999. I mean, what kind of kid would want to meet a horse out of all the choices given the access and resources that ESPN have?
I would have grown up to become a gay stripper just to spite him.

I wish I was making this stuff up. I remember one where a blind kid got to meet his(his dad's) favorite thoroughbred and the kid had to act like it was the best day of his life because he got to hear the sound of the horse running on the track. Meanwhile, his father was in utopia while he gets to enjoy the sounds and SIGHTS of his favorite Kentucky Derby horse. The dad was literally more giddy than a 12 year old girl meeting the Backstreet Boys in 1999. I mean, what kind of kid would want to meet a horse out of all the choices given the access and resources that ESPN have?

Need to see pic of degenerate gambler dad. Sounds like meme material.

Nowadays it's just all eye candy anyway. They pretty much demoted or got rid of their longstanding TV personalities and replaced them with annoying blondes. At that point, nobody is even really listening to what they're saying.

i liked berman in the late 80's and early 90's. now i loathe him. my skin crawls every time he says The RAAAAAAIIIIIIDDDDEEEERRRRSSSS! he says it like that every time.

Patrick and Olbermann were also great back in the day. Patrick also became obnoxious to me though in the last 10 years. I think they just became to self involved.

i remember when NFL primetime was the only nightly recap of Sunday NFL games with Annoying ass Berman and TJ. Thank god for NFL Network

lol yeah I remember when I was in HS Sportscenter was required viewing for me in the morning. Now... I can't even remember the last time I made it a point to sit down and watch it
Dude, it's fucking Creepy i was just cleaning the kitchen and needed some background noise and turned on Sporscenter. I was thinking "Wow this show is so fucking terrible now, i used run to the tv and watch as a kid" and here this therad is.

their real decline was cemented when ABC bought them as a tax shelter/write off.
pfft, turn out the lights.

Ok, I cut the cord a couple of years ago, so I'm definitely out of the loop.

My only exposure to Sportscenter these days is at the gym or when I go a Sports Bar.

But when I do watch it, all I see is these assholes sitting around, arguing about dumb shit. They also do endless interviews with "experts".

What the fuck happened to highlights?

The only highlights that are shown are when some clowns are trying to dissect a play with their lame analysis. Also, the hosts and anchors these days are god awful.

It's completely unwatchable.

Anyone else's thoughts? Sportscenter used to be my required morning routine for a long, long time. From what little I've seen recently, it looks like I'm not missing anything by cutting cable.

First off, ESPN sucks now, but are you talking about Sportscenter or ESPN? Because Sportscenter still has plenty of highlights. The problems is their anchors are unwatchable. Corny remark after unneeded yelling for some point that doesn't make sense. It's just horrible... but they do have highlights.

The rest of the channel is a bunch of talk.

lmao @ cutting the cord. Sounds poor. But yeah, sportscenter sucks.
I can ace stream anything I want on my HTPC. I only watch south Park on cable. cable is a waste of time and money

Last edited:
i think they were a victim of their own success. at some point the anchors became more concerned about making themselves the stars than the athletes they are covering. there was a time (i know, hard to believe) where chris berman was really good. but his schtick got old. but the other espn personalities followed suit. and now they are just all horrible. i havent been able to watch it in years. basically the entire network is unwatchable at this point except for the 30 for 30's and the games themselves.

I gave up on ESPN and their bullshit politics 15 years ago. Fuck them. I only watch actual live sports.

I can't hear you over the speed of my gigabit Google fiber

I also have gigabit fiber. For about 60 dollars a month. Fucking Comcast used charge me like 120 dollars for 50mb. I'm so glad I moved out of California.

Oh, I got my first electricity bill. 41 dollars. Lmao. I used to pay 100 to 250 for a house half the size. Fuck you PG&E.

they decided years ago (thanks chris berman) that the hosts are the stars, not the athletes

Oh man... I have a deep love for Berman. I was watching in the 80's and 90's and Berman's nicknames were hilarious and fun. Yes, he's a little outdated now, but he's been there since 79' I think.

I listen the Dan Patrick's podcast daily these days and I love his old Sportcenter stories. Like this one, when Berman stayed late to host with Dan on his first episode.

He said it meant a lot to him

i loved berman in the 90's bert "be home" blylevn is still my favorite nickname. but he is absurd now and has been for 20 years. I literally cant watch anything with him on. he sounds like a fuckin g fool. "the raiiiidddeeeerrrssss!" asshole, you don't have to say it like that every time. whoop,whoop.bop! fuck off.

Add all the sjw and feel good bullshit to the list of reasons already mentioned itt.

I would have 20 minutes to eat and get ready for school. Turn on SC, it's ads. 5 minutes later it's on, but no highlights. Story about a kid with cancer. 10 minutes go by, and we are back to commercials. 5 minutes go by and I have to leave.

That is why I quit watching.

I would have 20 minutes to eat and get ready for school. Turn on SC, it's ads. 5 minutes later it's on, but no highlights. Story about a kid with cancer. 10 minutes go by, and we are back to commercials. 5 minutes go by and I have to leave.

That is why I quit watching.
Cancer is basically the biggest media marketing tool at this point. It's so tired gross and absurd.

ESPN has become Oprah for today's modern man. Fuck old and new Sports Center. CNN Sports Tonight with Nick Charles and Fred Hickman was the best. 30 min of the best highlights with on point narration. Fuck Timmy's fav down syndrome dog when he was a kid.

Back