WTF is going on with our Navy???

giphy.gif

That's really embarrassing. What a bunch of dumbshits. Or maybe it was an attack by rogue nation not taking credit for it and USA not admitting it was an attack.

If I had to guess, I'd assume it is a mixture between increasing crowdedness (= more close falls) and arrogance / stubbornness on the Navy side ("they need to give way").

If the navy was so tough/strong and awesome as you say, then they would be on land shooting at terrorists in actual combat like real warriors, not using their video game skills to press a button and launch a rocket..
They do, it's called the Navy SEALs

If I had to guess, I'd assume it is a mixture between increasing crowdedness (= more close falls) and arrogance / stubbornness on the Navy side ("they need to give way").

Im guessing fear of calling the CO, lack of assertiveness by the DWO due to command climate issues, over relience on technology leading to poor seamanship and good old Navy arrogance.

Probably not the best way Harry Vafias wants to get into the news.

I'll tell you why this isn happening: the US, like many other nations, doesn't train their "sailors" to be seamen, and he's even people's have no idea what they a are doing and come could never survive on the bridge of a commercial vessel, where they will actually need to do something real sailing. This isn't a COLREGS issue but a poor seamanship issue.

Luckily for you, China also has shitty seamen, so the eventual war between you two will be hilarious at sea.

How can they be a fighting force, if all they do is push a button? Why is Popeye a Sailor and not a Marine or Army spec ops(actual badasses)

Please stop talking about popeye the cartoon. So because you do not quite grasp or understand what the concept of a naval force/component is let's compare how many of the individuals in each branch deal with classified information and have attained a security clearance. I know this might fly right over your head though.

Please stop talking about popeye the cartoon. So because you do not quite grasp or understand what the concept of a naval force/component is let's compare how many of the individuals in each branch deal with classified information and have attained a security clearance. I know this might fly right over your head though.

You failed to answer my question. How is it a fighting force if all they do is push a button? Secondly I never mentioned the numbers of people who handle classified information, as that is not combat and not part of my question.

I bet these crashes are dick measuring contests.

Naval Ship: I am navy, move!

Tanker: I'm the bigger ship, you move!

I bet these crashes are dick measuring contests.

Naval Ship: I am navy, move!

Tanker: I'm the bigger ship, you move!

Basically this
Navy is probably right in most cases but do you really expect a Liberian ship to be experts? This one is apparently a fuck up by the ood or the captain, haven't been focusing on that or the of the story honestly. I am looking for names of the missing. Have lost two shipmates already, don't want a third

The Straits of Malacca are very crowed with tanker ships. During the day they are not hard to see. Two collisions happening in such a short span of time in the same part of the world... is it too early to wonder if the Chinese are behind some nefarious plot to weaken our Navy? Having a crappy tanker "accidentally" t-bone a Frigate or Destroyer is one way to take our ships out of action without any culpability. Sorry for the tinfoil but this is starting to seem intentional. Too many sailors being lost at sea recently.

208HuCw.jpg
It's the navy vessels job to get out of the way of those tankers. The tankers are bigger and heavier than the navy vessels. The require more space and time to maneuver.

It's the navy vessels job to get out of the way of those tankers. The tankers are bigger and heavier than the navy vessels. The require more space and time to maneuver.

Size alone does not guarantee you right of way.

I'll be studying this case as well.

Size alone does not guarantee you right of way.

I'll be studying this case as well.
I think people could learn from the tactics learned in my motorcycle defensive driving course. If doesn't matter when you're squished if you were right or wrong. It only matters that you were squished.

But in all seriousness how the hell does the navy have the tough guy reputation when they don't go on land and fight? Then you got shit like Popeye the Sailor reinforcing that image.

How can they be a fighting force, if all they do is push a button? Why is Popeye a Sailor and not a Marine or Army spec ops(actual badasses)
I don't claim any special authority on assessing the fighting prowess or military utility of the Navy as opposed to any of the other military branches but "Look at Popeye FFS" doesn't strike me as the most persuasive argument.

G.I. Joe is one bad motherfucker though, so there's that.

I don't claim any special authority on assessing the fighting prowess or military utility of the Navy as opposed to any of the other military branches but "Look at Popeye FFS" doesn't strike me as the most persuasive argument.

G.I. Joe is one bad motherfucker though, so there's that.

LOL I know, but I couldn't think of any other Navy fictional characters other then Donald Duck, and he was nearly worthless.

I think people could learn from the tactics learned in my motorcycle defensive driving course. If doesn't matter when you're squished if you were right or wrong. It only matters that you were squished.

We call it "law of gross tonnage".

But it's not an actual law, and it has led to situations where vessels assume they have the right of way because of their size.

I saw something online regarding the latest incident possibly being a mechanical failure of some sort. They claimed that their ship lost steering control for some period of time. It's still weird to me that the other ship would fail to take action if they noticed a ship coming straight for them, even if the other ship should be the one changing heading. Maybe it was too close for a change, but I don't know.

There are international laws governing right of way, but none of them override the rule which states "don't crash into other ships". I read up on it last time this happened. Ships are supposed to give way to those approaching on their starboard side, which put the US Fitzgerald at fault in the previous incident, but this time round it was the tanker that was supposed to move.

I wouldn't be surprised if the commercial ships were chugging along blind. They run on absolutely minimal crew these days. If the destroyer was suffering mechanical failures, I'm pretty sure a competent crew would have radioed the tanker to tell them they're unable to move.

Back