WTF JUST HAPPENED

That was a robbery imo. Close but Moose lost

That has been a problem for a long time in MMA, and has been a cause of multiple poor decisions. I can't fucking stand when the recency bias of a few punches or a takedown in the last minute overtake 4 minutes where the other fighter was controlling the action. I'm kinda pissed I missed this fight....a fan of both fighters but I was tired as hell and just recorded the Cavaliers game instead.

I'll have to catch it soon.

In this case it wasn't a "takedown", though. He took him down, took his back and tried to get the choke until the end of the round (he didn't get close admittedly). Before that, Shlemenko was winning, but he wasn't dominating. He dominated in round 3.

That has been a problem for a long time in MMA, and has been a cause of multiple poor decisions. I can't fucking stand when the recency bias of a few punches or a takedown in the last minute overtake 4 minutes where the other fighter was controlling the action. I'm kinda pissed I missed this fight....a fan of both fighters but I was tired as hell and just recorded the Cavaliers game instead.

I'll have to catch it soon.

That’s how Holloway/Bermudez round 2 was scored. R2 was closer than the 1st but still clear for Max IMO. He was still outclassing Bermudez in the feet the entire time but was taken down in the last 15-20 seconds but Dennis didn’t do anything with the position. Max tied him down and that was it until the bell went and the judges gave him the round. They completely ignored Max’s success on the feet for about 4:40 at least and have Dennis the round because he finally got him down in the last few seconds. Max should only have losses to Poirier and Conor. He arguably lost to Leonard Garcia of all people too, very close fight that many scored for Leonard. Judges are fucked. Scoring TD’s like they’re knockdowns or some shit.

Either way, moose looked awful against someone who’s probably a fringe top 30 mw.
He got caught by a big punch and had one eye for the entire fight. You could argue that winning at all under those circumstances is as impressive as a quick finish.

I don't buy that anyone would give storm round 2 clearly, or mousasi.

That was a close round and a toss up. Mousasi got outstruck in the first half of the round, but barely. And he got the takedown and controlled on the ground for most of the second half. If anything he edged that round but it could have been scored 10-10.

I'd say robbage, not the worst in recent history, still Shlemenko definitely deserved the win.

Close fight, I'd have R2 10-10 and call it a draw so they rematch in a few months.

I expect the rematch will still come, but yeah that would be good. It's not like Mousasi did nothing, a number of sub attempts, round 1 grappling dominance, and he had some nice elbows across Shlemenkos ear. Still I feel Shlemenko was robbed. They definitely need to give him a rematch after this.

You are using zero logic, man. When are people gonna stop with this "His face looked worse after the fight" nonsense.
It is only nonsense if the fight ended prematurely. If it is a decision then it's very logical that the more beat up person is the one who lost. That was how PRIDE fights were scored - the fight overall, not rounds.

If a fighter gets worked for 2 rounds but then chokes his opponent in the 3rd nobody can say that he didn't win. But if there's 2 close rounds that he barely loses and a 3rd where he completely dominates then by UFC rules he lost, while in PRIDE it would at least be a draw.

Well what does more beat up mean? It certainly doesn't mean a swollen eye from a single punch? Having the opponent's back for extended periods of time definitely has to count a lot. PRIDE rules could've been trouble for the Moose, no doubt. But again, we wouldn't say that because of his fucking eye. We would mostly say that because of all the strikes in the 3rd round that had nothing to do with the eye.

@Hotora86

Storm won that fight. Was close but he won 29-28.

They should rematch but Bellator probably keeps Storm away from Mousasi now so Gegard can win the MW title.

Probably best for now. Their rematch should be 5 rounds and for the strap.

Well what does more beat up mean? It certainly doesn't mean a swollen eye from a single punch? Having the opponent's back for extended periods of time definitely has to count a lot. PRIDE rules could've been trouble for the Moose, no doubt. But again, we wouldn't say that because of his fucking eye. We would mostly say that because of all the strikes in the 3rd round that had nothing to do with the eye.

@Hotora86
I never mentioned the eye. You are correct, Moose would lose in PRIDE due to the 3rd round where he got his ass handed to him.

Why wasn't the fight 5 rounds? I thought all main events were 5 or is that only in the UFC?

Thought Mousasi took the second when he took his back, but was a close fight. Wouldn't complain either way really

Wanted mousasi to win but that was a straight up robbery. mousasis eye was completely shut and he was getting tagged in the 3rd with very little offense I'm surprised they didn't stop the fight his eye was real shut but if anyone could have came back it was mousasi so I'm glad they let it continue just saying the drs do step in remember Curtis blades vs Ngannou Ngannou shut his whole eye and the drs were forced to stop it

First round was 10-10
Second was 10-9 Storm
Third was 10-8

Worst decision I've seen in ages.

much respect to Gegard. fighting with one eye and yet almost winning it.
giphy.gif

lol no almost about it he did win it

1 rd- 10-9 Mous
2 rd - 10-9 Mous
3 rd - 10-9 Shlemenko

Gegard won first two rounds. I don't even think it is that controversial, tbh.

maybe critics got pulled in by the biased af commentating of Jimmy Smith, who was ignoring anything Gegard did? lol

even Big John corrected him on social media, saying Gegard won the 2nd.

Back