WWE Could Go Out of Business in 2019?

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Teh UFC is dying.

Teh Boxing is dying.

Now, WWE Is dying.

Just watched this video randomly. And what the guy is saying seems reasonable.

Personally, I haven't really watched about Rasslin' since about 2001. I used to tune in every now and again to watch the guys who could work the mic well. Nowadays, I only watch clips in yt for a chuckle.

Aside from the reasons mentioned in the video, I think any type of business that depends on a weekly TV show seems to be in trouble. The landscape is changing. People are cancelling their cable TV for Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. Everything is an app/subscription model nowadays. The funny thing is MMA has a brighter existence than Rasslin' now compared to 10 years ago.

I wonder how Rasslin' will thrive in case WWE falls. Cody Rhodes claims there will be another PW Boom, just not in the way you might think.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
WWE has a subscription based Network called WWE network which a huge portion of their revenue comes from.

Dana White just said on the 217 post fight press conference that UFC is on track to have there biggest financial year ever.

Like you DW I also started to lose interest in 2001 before quitting in 2002, and assumed that the business was sure to fail. The thing is since WCW folded in 2001, they have an immensely popular product (professional wrestling) and dick competition.

In stark contrast in 2001 the company couldn't get squat dollars for television (despite millions more viewers). Wrestling companies often paid for tv classically, even ECW had to pat for local late night tv spots. USA pays WWE 200 million for their product, which is really an advertisement for their live shows and their network. Right now they have half as many subscribers paying (1.5 million or so) as they do weekly viewers.

Teh UFC is dying.

Teh Boxing is dying.

Now, WWE Is dying.

Personally, I haven't really watched about Rasslin' since about 2001. I used to tune in every now and again to watch the guys who could work the mic well. Nowadays, I only watch clips in yt for a chuckle.

Aside from the reasons mentioned in the video, I think any type of business that depends on a weekly TV show seems to be in trouble. The landscape is changing. People are cancelling their cable TV for Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. Everything is an app/subscription model nowadays. The funny thing is MMA has a brighter existence than Rasslin' now compared to 10 years ago.

I wonder how Rasslin' will thrive in case WWE falls. Cody Rhodes claims there will be another PW Boom, just not in the way you might think.

Now that I listened to the video I basically laughed hysterically. None of the things he listed killed WCW, he thinks basic coincidences are karmic happenings. Wrestlemania is so long because there is so much to get on the show, it gives the fans value (almost all of whom are ultra fans who traveled for the event) for their dollars. Most of the indies that Cody says are booming run big shows leading up to Mania in the same city to cash in on the event often competing with WWE fan events. Those shows are thrilled to get 500 of WWE's 70,000 fans in town.

He blames the three hour Raw for ratings drops and uses a chart that shows ratings trends from 1996. He blames injuries but the boom period of the Attitude Era had many more injuries. About the only real issue is the push of Reigns over everyone else but that could be stopped anytime if the company was on the line.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is no with a lot more o

If anyone wants to lay some money on the WWE dying, I'll take that bet

I dont know what Cody Rhodes said but there is a wrestling boom happening
The indies are blowing up thanks to the power of the internet

if anything they're gonna get bigger

Even with attendance figures falling and ratings at near all time low levels, they're still cashing in on the tv rights contract. Big Money Dave has said the only way for WWE to ever legit go out of business would be if the tv rights became worthless and that's never going to happen.

RollSonnenRoll is 100% correct.

I would love it if it did die somehow. Fuck Vince for fucking PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING to death with his steroid-shrunken old man wanger.

nah. Worst case scenario is that they downsize and run smaller shows and less events with a smaller roster.

Teh UFC is dying.

Teh Boxing is dying.

Now, WWE Is dying.

giphy.gif

not watched yet but will

Even with attendance figures falling and ratings at near all time low levels, they're still cashing in on the tv rights contract. Big Money Dave has said the only way for WWE to ever legit go out of business would be if the tv rights became worthless and that's never going to happen.

That's kind of the point of the first video I posted. If the TV networks don't want to renew the TV deal, WWE goes under. There could be zero TV networks that would want to grant a WWE deal in 2019 considering how fast things move in the TV/streaming industry.

Back