X-Guard Sweep Suggestions?

Today I hit a nice entry from closed guard I read in marcelo's book. Use both of your legs to isolate one of his legs then stretch it out, then quickly, before he can push his leg back in, pull your legs back into a half butterfly, hook and lift his leg, and slide into single leg x/x guard.

I got marcelo's x guard book that has like 50 variations on x guard sweeps and I think I basically tried all of them, but after a while I found the technical stand up works the best and is the easiest.

This book on Amazon is over $100, is it cheaper somewhere else?

Im not 100% sure if I do this as an x guard defense or just when being stretched out in top half guard.

I take the leg that has been stretched up to their head and tuck it behind their head so that my knee is on the mat, their head is in the crook of my leg and my calf under their head, similar to a chairsit position. Most of my weight is driven forward and sometimes I’m able to bring my trapped leg forward so that I have something similar to a top mounted triangle but with their leg also trapped in there.

It provides me good balance, is crushing to the person on bottom and if strikes were incorporated would be very powerful, however, in pure grappling it is a position that is kind of a dead end. Anyone seen anything x guard defense related at all similar to what I’m talking about? Or submissions from there?

Just watch what Marcelo does. He has the best X-Guard.
I like to switch the side my head is on and grab the belt (gi) to take the back but that doesn't work so well in nogi.

Im not 100% sure if I do this as an x guard defense or just when being stretched out in top half guard.

I take the leg that has been stretched up to their head and tuck it behind their head so that my knee is on the mat, their head is in the crook of my leg and my calf under their head, similar to a chairsit position. Most of my weight is driven forward and sometimes I’m able to bring my trapped leg forward so that I have something similar to a top mounted triangle but with their leg also trapped in there.

It provides me good balance, is crushing to the person on bottom and if strikes were incorporated would be very powerful, however, in pure grappling it is a position that is kind of a dead end. Anyone seen anything x guard defense related at all similar to what I’m talking about? Or submissions from there?

There's a similar x guard defese where you would put your knee onto their chest and then pry the feet and backstep. Only problem is that higher level x-guard players, certainly Marcelo himself, will keep clamping control over your ankle and knee such that your heel is off the ground. But, generally IMO, all the best x guard defenses involve strong counterweight either directly onto your opponent or into the dead space beside your opponent.

Last edited:
Just watch what Marcelo does. He has the best X-Guard.
I like to switch the side my head is on and grab the belt (gi) to take the back but that doesn't work so well in nogi.

i love that, too. can also do a roll over sweep to leg drag from that position, which i find people give more often than the back.

The defense to your defense is to find a way to have the knee on your shoulder like if you're in deep half guard. If it stays on your chest it's like a neutral position and a scramble. But if you still have a x guard position with your legs and the guy is on his knee near your head you can just push the legs in the air and get on top. If you have control of the sleeve you can roll back and end up on top.

The defense to your defense is to find a way to have the knee on your shoulder like if you're in deep half guard. If it stays on your chest it's like a neutral position and a scramble. But if you still have a x guard position with your legs and the guy is on his knee near your head you can just push the legs in the air and get on top. If you have control of the sleeve you can roll back and end up on top.

After training this morning I don’t think I do it from x guard. But I do essentially give them deep half but with the option to almost cradle them with my legs.

Back