DARK PHOENIX (First Critics Reviews; Tracking for $50 Million Opening Weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she’s god awful in GoT also. Just the same slightly annoyed smirk on her face in every scene. It’s like she’s incapable of showing any other emotion than just “meh.”
shes the worst actress on that whole show, and her work on the Xmen is no better. She can't carry this movie.

I think she’s god awful in GoT also. Just the same slightly annoyed smirk on her face in every scene. It’s like she’s incapable of showing any other emotion than just “meh.”

In GOT I think she's fine. Mainly because her role doesn't require much if any talent at all.

Update: January 9, 2018

DEADPOOL Director Tim Miller Developing KITTY PRYDE Movie for Fox

Sources have confirmed to Collider that Tim Miller of Deadpool fame is hard at work developing a solo movie for the famous phasing member of the X-Men, Kitty Pryde, to potentially direct.

Best known by the codename Shadowcat, Pryde is a mutant with the ability to “phase” or become intangible, which basically allows her (and anything she’s touching) to pass through solid objects, disrupt electromagnetic fields, and even levitate.

Miller’s setting the project up at 20th Century Fox, the current home of Marvel’s X-Men, X-Force, Wolverine, The New Mutants, and the aforementioned Deadpool titles, but the much-publicized potential buyout by Disney will almost certainly complicate things.

To be clear, a Kitty Pryde movie is very much in development at Fox by Miller at the moment, but even without the expected merger valued at $52.4 billion, a movie that’s in development doesn’t necessarily end up going into production. Just look at the list of “announced” projects for super-producers like Steven Spielberg or Ridley Scott–who just added a possible Disney project of his own–to get an idea of how many pictures are in development versus how many come to pass.

Factor in that Miller himself is currently producing a Sonic the Hedgehog movie for Paramount and will be directing the new Terminator film for the studio for a 2019 release, and then add in the fact that the regulatory review of the Disney/Fox merger should take anywhere from 12 to 18 months (if it is approved at all) and things get a bit more complicated.

Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat hast appeared in feature films before. Cameo appearances from Sumela Kay in X-Men and Katie Stuart in X2 acted as Easter eggs/teasers for the character. Fans will remember Ellen Page‘s portrayal–most notably in the sequence opposite Vinnie Jones‘ Juggernaut–in X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Feel free to speculate on who should play Pryde and get your fan-casting suggestions in now because this project is a long way away from the casting process.

Exclusive: 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Developing Solo ‘Kitty Pryde’ Movie at Fox

Interesting. I never really considered shadowkat more than a supporting character, or sidekick at best. But I'll give it a chance.

Interesting. I never really considered shadowkat more than a supporting character, or sidekick at best. But I'll give it a chance.

My first thought as well: Shadowcat's OK, but she's not a strong enough character to carry a whole movie.

Only way this works is if they bring in Wolverine and do a version of the classic Ogun story arc.

Kitty was a leader of the X-Men for a while. But to all but the hardcore she is a side character. I'd be surprised if this survives the merge.

If it was her as the lead with Lockheed as 'sidekick' and maybe a team up/budding romance with Colussus it could work imo, but she definitely needs some help

My first thought as well: Shadowcat's OK, but she's not a strong enough character to carry a whole movie.

Only way this works is if they bring in Wolverine and do a version of the classic Ogun story arc.

Imo the character is irrelevant, it's gonna be the actor that determines whether they can carry the movie.

I think I'm done with xmen.

lol not even joking right before I clicked on this thread I thought to myself. I'm done with this series. I'll wait till this hits bluray unless my wife nags me about going to go see it then maybe I will just for a night out.

<KingstonFrown>
Who....wha.....why?
Shadowcat solo movie? Of all the characters. ..why?
Thank god, Disney bought Marvel.

Imo the character is irrelevant, it's gonna be the actor that determines whether they can carry the movie.

Actor and script. She can be the greatest actor we've ever seen if the story\movie is shit it wont matter.

If it was her as the lead with Lockheed as 'sidekick' and maybe a team up/budding romance with Colussus it could work imo, but she definitely needs some help
For me Lockheed belongs with Illyana, but I doubt NEW MUTANTS has the right tone for the poor little guy.

Kitty Pryde works as a lead character, despite her awful name. I'd love to see Ellen Page revisit the character under better circumstances. Throw in a little NYX flavor.

For me Lockheed belongs with Illyana, but I doubt NEW MUTANTS has the right tone for the poor little guy.

Kitty Pryde works as a lead character, despite her awful name. I'd love to see Ellen Page revisit the character under better circumstances. Throw in a little NYX flavor.
Ellen Page is awful.
Keep that little boy the hell away.

I think he made an appearance in the trailer as a stuffed animal.

edit: oops, no, promo photo as a puppet

Update: December 7, 2017

First Look at the Cast Together in the Official NEW MUTANTS Promo Image

BBljSCh.jpg

From left to right: Blu Hunt as Mirage, Charlie Heaton as Cannonball, Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane, Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik, and Henry Zaga as Sunspot

Show your work.

I think a Joss Whedon Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat movie would work.

Show your work.
beetlejuice-retro-review.jpg

Kitty's thematic principle mirrors the central theme of the X-MEN. Ostracized, she starts off alone and untouched; there's also the flipside of this theme, in which we can explore how much of that loneliness is self-inflicted. Audiences sympathize quickly with solitude and loneliness, especially in the middle of populated areas.

She's very much like Rogue, except her power is more easily depicted. Her powers are also a reasonable counter against any threat. We might find it hard to see a woman battle toe-to-toe with a man, and CGI flames never look realistic -- but we totally buy a girl who could phase her way out of most problems. Not to mention we could showcase her powers being used against her, such as preventing her from phasing back in by occupying her space with another person, maybe someone she cares about. The extreme of this is being permanently incorporeal, which opens up the possibility of ghost story tropes. Kitty's power it simultaneously soft and feminine and has the capacity to do serious damage if applied well, or as an extension of emotion (this is Storm's trope: weather mirroring her feelings).

A young girl appeals to both sexes, in that girls (and some boys) can identify with her, and most boys (and some girls) will want to see her do well/rescue her. Kitty is vulnerable, smart, and most of all plucky. Being younger she is beset by more problems, including a lack of respect -- which translates to more opportunities to show off her true mettle. <-- This is where most characters live and die: being forced through a crucible.

With the other X-Women, they're not quite as vulnerable. Most of them have final boss powers, and they are established clearly and at the beginning. Kitty's powers can be teased out, thus her efficaciousness can build and build with surprising magnitude.

I like the idea of Ellen Page due to the Ratner notoreity, where the tough part of being a mutant is a symbol of the tough part of being in proximity of Ratner, as a woman, lesbian or not. A Page story could be crafted as a re-acquisition of power and dignity, that we will not be diminished by callous forces of a non-sympathetic society.

006590cbdb0f5eeff0daa74e6a12d6b3--beetlejuice-quotes-beetlejuice-movie.jpg

X-men_pryde_of_the_x-men_cover.jpg

I have this bad boy on VHS. Count me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back