DARK PHOENIX (First Critics Reviews; Tracking for $50 Million Opening Weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: April 22, 2017

Next X-MEN Movie Title is X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX with Nov. 2, 2018 Release Date

X-Men-Dark-Phoenix-042217-Dragonlord.jpg

20th Century Fox has given official release dates to three upcoming X-Men movies. New Mutants will open on April 13, 2018. Deadpool 2 will follow on June 1, 2018. The next core X-Men movie, now confirmed to be X-Men: Dark Phoenix, will open on Nov. 2, 2018.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix will be an adaptation of "The Dark Phoenix Saga," generally regarded as the greatest X-Men story ever told. X-Men: The Last Stand previously adapted the story, but fans were generally not satisfied with the results. The X-Men movies' time travel shenanigans have provided Fox with a rare second chance to do the story justice.

Sophie Turner will return as Jean Grey, the host for the Phoenix Force and central figure of the saga. Tye Sheridan and Alexandra Shipp are expected to return as Cyclops and Storm, respectively. The older members of the prequel trilogy cast had their contracts expire after X-Men: Apocalypse, so their involvement remains up in the air.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is also expected to begin film in Montreal in May, leading to some speculation that the film will connect directly to New Mutants.

New Mutants is being co-written and directed by Josh Boone. The film is inspired by the very first X-Men spinoff series, The New Mutants, which followed a new class of teenage mutants attending Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. The film is expected to begin shooting in early May, with production taking place in Montreal and Boston.

Deadpool 2 is the sequel to 2016's underdog, R-rated hit. Ryan Reynolds will return as Wade Wilson, the merc with a mouth. He'll be working with new director David Leitch. While supporting cast members from the first Deadpool movie are expected to return, Deadpool 2 will also give Wade some new playmates. Atlanta breakout Zazie Beetz will play Domino, a mutant mercenary with the gift of good luck thanks her mutant powers. Josh Brolin will play Cable, the time-travelling mutant soldier/mercenary who gets stuck playing the straight man to Deadpool's zaniness.

20th Century Fox Announces Official Release Dates for Deadpool 2, X-Men: Dark Phoenix and New Mutants

I don't know I got mixed feelings for the all Dark Phoenix saga.

You know what I want I want to see that Hellfire Club in this involved.

Also "New Mutants" is that the one with the Werewolf X-Men (woman?) I will like to see that too.. but I'm biased with werewolves. :D

Don't fuck this up.

It is literally impossible, at this stage, for Singer to do this arc justice. Singer has done a Sherman's March through X-men movies, leaving a scorched earth for any reboot potential. I have to believe it was intentional, too.

It is literally impossible, at this stage, for Singer to do this arc justice. Singer has done a Sherman's March through X-men movies, leaving a scorched earth for any reboot potential. I have to believe it was intentional, too.
I don't know about that. The problem with these movies seems to be you either get a good director who isn't a fan of the comics and plays fast and loose with the continuity, or a "huge fan of the material" who thinks enthusiasm is a substitute for craft.

When are we going to get a Spielberg level guy directing a comic book film?

Apocalypse should've been all done with CGI like the Hulk in Avengers.

He should've been huge and had a fight scene where wolverine was all over his with the claws.

You ain't kiddin! They nailed the look of Thanos and there is no excuse for them not doing the same with Apocalypse.

Is Singer directing the Dark Phoenix one too??

I don't know about that. The problem with these movies seems to be you either get a good director who isn't a fan of the comics and plays fast and loose with the continuity, or a "huge fan of the material" who thinks enthusiasm is a substitute for craft.

When are we going to get a Spielberg level guy directing a comic book film?
Dark Phoenix is a slow burn that develops into a sci-fantasy action adventure. They have already mishandled so much of the source material that they can't tell this story correctly. Too many characters, and emotion tied to a backstory that none of the movies have captured. And the casting sucks outside of a few characters. It is literally impossible. Spielberg would need 3 hours minimum.

Dark Phoenix is a slow burn that develops into a sci-fantasy action adventure. They have already mishandled so much of the source material that they can't tell this story correctly. Too many characters, and emotion tied to a backstory that none of the movies have captured. And the casting sucks outside of a few characters. It is literally impossible. Spielberg would need 3 hours minimum.

Doing this right was never possible for the cinema, not realistically.

They could have tried making something to do it justice over several films, and catering specifically for the big screen as opposed to trying to be faithful to the original material, but they didn't, and won't. What I we're almost certainly going to get is a pale shadow of the original story.

Add one more vote to the "Apocalypse was shit" pile.

Which is odd when you consider that I actually liked all of Singers X movies, even if X2 was by far the superior film.

With Apocalypse I realized that when these kind of movies get so big, you essentially have the climactic battle be the heroes throwing special effects at each other, which is never particularly exciting. Not when that's the main focus of the clash. The Marvel movies have done a pretty good job of there being something else involved instead of simply throwing laser beams or cars at each other. A sort of climactic MacGuffin.

I feel like the X movies are better when the climaxes are a bit more grounded. Logan is another great example.

Last edited:
This already sounds like a shit premise. I don't want to see X-Men 3 all over again, with Jean struggling to control her darker side.

If they don't find a way to work intergalactic travel, the Shi'ar Empire and the M'Kraan Cyrstal into this, there's no point in telling the story all over again.

And ditch the pseudo-X-Men uniforms they showed at the end of the last one. Just use the Jim Lee costumes and be done with it. Marvel has already shown you can successfully translate costumes faithfully to the big screen.

Doing this right was never possible for the cinema, not realistically.

They could have tried making something to do it justice over several films, and catering specifically for the big screen as opposed to trying to be faithful to the original material, but they didn't, and won't. What I we're almost certainly going to get is a pale shadow of the original story.
The tragedy is that this could have been made in a trilogy of stand alone, but connected, movies that culminated in Dark Phoenix. Alas, Singer hasn't even read the comics and He must have a ton of dirt on Fox execs.

Yeah, put a drunk coke whore like Sophie Turner who sucks at an American accent in the main event spot of the next X Men film. This is a shit idea. She must give good head

Eh, I didn't hate the Apocalypse movie as much as a lot of people seemed to, but I don't want any more Singer or Lawrence in these movies. and Phoenix Saga should be a trilogy, not a single movie.

And as popular as the 90's cartoon/comics X-men were, I don't understand why we can't get a trilogy with that team.

Slow burn is an understatement. The whole Phoenix to Dark Phoenix saga unfolded over three years.

Yeah, put a drunk coke whore like Sophie Turner who sucks at an American accent in the main event spot of the next X Men film. This is a shit idea. She must give good head
You had me at coke whore.

I just hate how since Jennifer Lawrence has become really popular, they started focusing on Mystique as a main character. Her role and impact was perfect in the original trilogy.

Give the rights back to Marvel already!!

I love me some JLaw, and I couldn't agree more with this post.

Eh, I didn't hate the Apocalypse movie as much as a lot of people seemed to, but I don't want any more Singer or Lawrence in these movies. and Phoenix Saga should be a trilogy, not a single movie.

And as popular as the 90's cartoon/comics X-men were, I don't understand why we can't get a trilogy with that team.
And now I will have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back