XD or XDM?

jericksen5

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Anyone own both? Trying to decide on one or the other. Is it worth the extra money for the XDM? Why or why not?

Depends on what you want it to do. XD for carry, XDM for competition unless you're a tub who can conceal both or live in an open carry state.

XDm 3.8 for CCW off that's why you want one. Standard if just for the range or the home. The m has a match grade barrel.

I had both at one point, now I just have the M. They are both great guns. 99 percent of the people are not good enough shots to take advantage of a match grade barrel, myself included. One good thing about the M coming out is that the standard xd are cheap used now as most people wanted to "upgrade."

XDM has interchangeable backstraps. XD doesn't.

Someone else already mentioned the match barrel.

The trigger on an XDM has a shorter reset than the XD.

XD's don't have the front slide serrations the XDM's do. Some people really like the front slide serations. I don't.

On the Xd you have to dry fire it to remove the slide when taking it apart. On the XDM you do not have to pull the trigger.

For comparing the XD 9mm SC has a max capactity of 16rds. The 3.8 XDM Compact has a max capacity of 19 witht eh mag extensions on. Both hold 13rds with the standard flush mag.

I have the XD 45 with a 5 inch barrel. it was $450.00 at academy. paid an extra $75.00 for a good trigger job. I doubt the XDM is going to shoot much better. I say buy the XD, and get a trigger job. If you find you can shoot better than the gun, have a competant gunsmith install a real match barrel. That is what most of the competitive shooters are doing in my area.

If after that you still want more accuracy, build a custom 1911, those things are still tops for accuracy once a full blown wad of cash is throwed at them.

for me the idea behind the XD was how good can I get it for cheap as possible. If you can score a used one with a good trigger job already done, all the better!

I have a XDM and like it alot but my favorite 9mm is my Sig Sauer P226 (Navy model).

if price isnt an option get the m but a used xd is really the way to go

i has XD 9
It shoots awesome but I suck at shooting. I shot XDM. It shoots awesome but I sucked. If you can get good deals, get whatever you can

Back