Yakuza and Judgment series thread

Best Yakuza game

• Total voters

Wariowokecancel

You can cancel but you can’t wake
@Gold
Reaction score
If I hadn't been bored and watching Angry Joe I would have never found this gem.

What an excellent magnificent game series. Does everything right that Sleeping Dogs did plus doing right everything Mafia 3 did wrong plus a touch of Saints Row.

Story, fights, side missions, climate, WOW.

Not a truly open sandbox but close enough.

It's a fist fighting game series so no miniguns but I love that (btw Japan has two digit gun homicides, yes, as in 15 people killed by guns in a country of 80 million a year)

If you liked Sleeping Dogs, then this is what you will love (and yes I know the Yakuza game series is legend).

Like watching a classic Beat Takeshi movie with some off the wall JRPG madness.

Edit:

Okay, quick edits because my first post was deleted by my pocket.

The Yakuza is an awesome awesome series. It’s GTA for people who aren’t sociopaths.

A long long tale of honor and blood.

Big bad Kiryu is more macho than Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris combined.

220px-Kazuma_Kiryu_in_Yakuza_6.jpg

His best friend and best enemy is Mijama who is a Freddie Mercury who is straight and will beat your ass with a baseball bat and then drink whiskey all night with you.

images

Along the way you will be doing RC car races, driving taxis, doing dating games, fighting bears, riding snow scooters, running a cabaret , buying real estate and fighting real life Japanese wrestling legends as well as famous Japanese film stars.

If you want to get into the series, start with Yakuza Zero.

Then Yakuza Kiwami 1->5. Plenty of packs and bundles with epic remastered editions (I have 4-5 on PS3 but will buy Yakuza 3 PS4 for Xmas.

Chill out with Judgment next as a sorbet and finish withYakuza 6.

Don’t play Yakuza 6 until you go through the series. The game engines change during the series and Yakuza 6 and Judgment are the most advanced.

Judgment was the current Kamarucho installment and has a lawyer turned detective running around. It’s out and it’s awesome but not Yakuza Zero or 6 awesome. Some of it reminds me of GTA 3 difficulty stupid rubbish.

Then we got Yakuza 7 which was an rpg combat game...

https://dailygamingreport.co.uk/lat...new-story-and-gameplay-change-details-emerge/

Personally I like to Kiryu into people and not to a turn battle BS which is so stale JRPG. The combat here was pretty boring. The gameplay outside of combat was cool apart from the utterly atrocious dungeon levels which are a serious and bad grind. The story is not on the level of the other games but that’s like saying prime Fox wasn’t as hot as prime Jolie. I think going into dungeon territory was a serious mistake though, making it the worst entry in the series (let’s ignore the zombie game) but still a great game.

yakuza.jpg

But now we have Judgment 2 which already has my hairs prickling at being back in good old Kamurocho, a fictional part of Tokyo which actually looks so much like it that if you’ve played enough you can walk that part of town according to people who have visited.

Last edited:
Is this co op online or just single player?

I'm tempted to buy this, but i've played Yakuza before and not sure I want to pay full price. I think i'll wait for a sale.

Loved the older chapters of the series and I'm supposed to be getting the latest installment in the mail this week from gamefly

When was Yakuza ever Sleeping Dogs? I've only played 1-3 but unless it's drastically changed since then I'd never have compared the two other than Asians.

And it looks like the same tired-ass combat. Might rent or get it on sale.

Really fun game with alot of Japanese centric mini games but very niche. It's one of those you either love or hate it type of games. Cool story, interesting characters. Combat system is enjoyable if ignore the crappy collision detection and lack of polish that you see in AAA titles. It's a huge franchise in Japan.

I have only played Yakuza 1-4. I haven't touch 5 or 0, so I don't know how they play.

Definitely buying this down the line. Too busy currently with other things but this is one of the games Ive been looking forward too.

I'm tempted to buy this, but i've played Yakuza before and not sure I want to pay full price. I think i'll wait for a sale.

That's probably the smart move. It's a decent series, but I find it gets way too much love in reviews. It's really not all that remarkable. It's just a little different. When I hear shit like "One of the best open worlds you can experience!", I'm like "yeah, no."

The story is good, but the actual game play in nearly every aspect, always seems a little behind everything else. Tons to do, but nothing you really want to do for all that long.

That's probably the smart move. It's a decent series, but I find it gets way too much love in reviews. It's really not all that remarkable. It's just a little different. When I hear shit like "One of the best open worlds you can experience!", I'm like "yeah, no."

The story is good, but the actual game play in nearly every aspect, always seems a little behind everything else. Tons to do, but nothing you really want to do for all that long.

Well there aren't that many great open city games you can experience are there? There's GTA and Saints Row and that's pretty much it. Yakuza is up there.

Been playing it recently, it's a really great game. As a fan of old school games, this really feels old school Dreamcast style game. Plus the story is bad ass, while the side stories are goofy enough to have fun with. So it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's like Shenmue and River City Ransom had a baby.

When was Yakuza ever Sleeping Dogs? I've only played 1-3 but unless it's drastically changed since then I'd never have compared the two other than Asians.

And it looks like the same tired-ass combat. Might rent or get it on sale.

I'd say the comparison is fair with the story centered around an Asian crime drama with an emphasis on hand to hand combat. I haven't played it but a lot of people say 0 is the best Yakuza game yet. But, if you aren't feeling the series after playing 1-3 (3 is probably the least favorite game among fans) then a rent or big sale is a smart move.

I'd say the comparison is fair with the story centered around an Asian crime drama with an emphasis on hand to hand combat.

Asian crime drama, okay. The combat in Sleeping Dogs is leagues above Yakuza. Far less clunky. If anything I would say Yakuza is closer to Shenmue, at least to me.

Asian crime drama, okay. The combat in Sleeping Dogs is leagues above Yakuza. Far less clunky. If anything I would say Yakuza is closer to Shenmue, at least to me.

It is. Most consider it the spiritual successor to Shenmue. Lots of similarities, especially in how it's open world is designed, and the combat.

It is. Most consider it the spiritual successor to Shenmue. Lots of similarities, especially in how it's open world is designed, and the combat.

If only I could get a job as a forklift operator in Yakuza.

One of my favorite series ever. Missed 5 due to the huge PS3 file size, no europe retail. Been playing zero now and it's up there with the best in the series, right there with 3. You have a ton of fun stuff to do and a great story with a deep combat system (3 upgradable stances). I love that they tell Kazuma's & Goro's story from the beginning.

Just copped

I'll be back in 6 months after i've put in the 80 hours to complete the game with my review

I found the combat in Sleeping Dogs completely predictable. Rock Paper Scissors. I knew how to beat every single dude without taking a hit. I maxed out every style and won every single tournament in the game. I did love the game. Story in Y0 is better. Open world in SD is better if you prefer a huge empty space you need a car to get around in.

I've gotten to the point in Y0 where I can beat just about everybody but things can get a little scary at times. I didn't know how to use the weapons I've been buying until this weekend, thought they were some boost mechanism that you just equipped.

GTA compared to Y0 and SD is just rampant psychopath sandbox. Watch Dogs 1 and 2 is shitty GTA. Saints Row is extreme parody fun. Witcher 3 is sandbox awesomeness defined but Bloodborne fanboys can't appreciate it.

Back