YAY Weapons forum: so, who carries knives?

P

PT447

i love knives, much more than stupid guns. what kinda skill does it take to shoot someone? really? i find it much more worthy of praise if someone wins a knife fight than who pulled out their "gat" first and "popped" the dude!

what do you guys carry, and who has collections? (new and OLD knives & swords)

I like kitchen knives. I think my Kershaw shun classic hollow ground santoku is the best cullinary investment I've ever made. but I don't normally carry it on my person.

The only poket knife I carry from time to time is a single locking blade (Half serrated half straight) curved surgical stainless steel knife. It's really not perfect (the thumb nob to flick it open is less than stellar, and would be better off as a hole instead of a knob), but it was the only knife I could find with the shape I wanted and the point can be sharpened to a needle like level for removing splinters and such. serves as a fantastic multitasker, but I don't carry it for self defense purposes, and probably wouldn't think to pull it in a streetfight.

but if somebody attacked me in my kitchen, I'd fuck their shit up with my santoku.

when i'm going to the city i have this short combat straight knife, with a rubber grip, that goes on a shoulder sheath. its cool, it goes around my neck and clips on my belt like suspenders. wear a hoody, nobody will ever know. other than that i got a whole bunch of pocket types. also, i got a lot of my grandfather's old knives when he died. i have a few swords mounted on my wall, a japanese one (not a kitana) staright from Japan. i also have two mid-east style knife/sword dealy-o's... like the one's they used to behend people. my aunt got them for me when she was alive, she traveled allo over the world. also i have a WWII bayonette.

You have a nice collection pt447 lol Has anybody ever used there knife?

The only knife I carry around is used to cut my Biltong.

benj2006 said:
I use my santoku all the time. I cut apart sub primals with it, I cut vegies, fish, chicken breasts... Good shit. I have, however, never cut my finger with it though, and that fucker is so sharp that I'm certain if I do I'm going to find bone when it happens. Took a nasty chunk out of my finger with my wusthoff chef's knife though.

Edit - I'm sorry, I'm not really getting into the spirit of the new forum am I. I'll shut up now. Just seems like if you're in a fight, fumbling around in your pocket for a knife isn't the best thing to be doing. and if you're not in a fight, pulling a knife is a sure way to get criminal charges filed against you for brandishing a deadly weapon. Better to grab a barstool or beer bottle or something I'd think.

I carry a pocket knife some kind of Gerber not sure the model number but it is more to pick at my finger nails with than to stab someone lol
I think carrying a knife for self defense is a wee-bit stupid as most people will shoot you rather than pull a knife.

Oh boy...this forum is going to turn into Guns N' Ammo: Redneckville.

benj2006 said:
luckily and thankfully i've never had to. not only do i not want to hurt or even kill anyone, i wouldn't want to have to deal with all the shit afterwards. i mean, even if someone is comming after me, if i stabbed them and they died... i gaurantee i'd be fucked in the end, through legal bills and whatever. most of the time when someone gets routy, and even if they have a knife of their own, if the person they are after, trying to rob or just bullying, pulls a knife, they almost always back off.

Vilo Magee said:
I carry a pocket knife some kind of Gerber not sure the model number but it is more to pick at my finger nails with than to stab someone lol
I think carrying a knife for self defense is a wee-bit stupid as most people will shoot you rather than pull a knife.
hey, if someone pulls a gun on me, i ain't gunna go for my knife... but most altercations are with drunken idiots... you pull a knife, them and their buddies back away, all good, you go back to the bar, they go away!!! if someone pulls a gun on my, i'll be fumbling for my wallet!!!

Oh boy...this forum is going to turn into Guns N' Ammo: Redneckville

That's kind of the purpose smart-guy.

Anywho, I carry whatever is the Air Force regulation knife. I forget what the shit they're called.

But PT, I have to disagree with you on something. It takes a great deal of skill to accurately and purposefully use a fire-arm. I've seen a lot of people handle one for the first time and end up burning the shit out of their hands or dislocating joints because of lack of skill. Then of course there's the "accidental killing" ratio. Where you have people who meant to fire a warning shot, or hit someone in the leg, and they ended up blowing their brains out. It takes a lot of skill and patience to hit a moving target, with a bullet that will be moving, in a split-second, where you meant to hit it.

Anyone who has ever done any sharp-shooting will tell you.

lol Spray and pray. Shit now we're gonna have another jargon-term around here like Lay n' pray, and clinch n' pray, already the weapons forum has one.

King Kabuki said:

Considering the title of this subforum placed under the umbrella of "Standup Technique", I actually expected it to be about stick fighting, katanas, sais, etc.

But hey, if that's the purpose...

lol Spray and Pray works great in counterstrike. Never seems to work on the A-team.

I myself have never fired a gun but I can tell you from watching my best friend's policeman father teaching him how to fire a pistol that it's not easy at all. He was firing at a bottle on the ground about 15 yards away. After half a clip, he put a ton of divots in the grass and broke the cinder block and the bottle was unharmed. His father, a policeman and former army grunt set up the bottle on another cinder block and went back 15 yards again. He quickdrawed his pistol from the hip and fired three shots while bringing the gun up to a straight arm. One shot hit about 2 yards in front of the block, the second hit the bottle and the third hit the ground about 5 yards behind the block...

No skill? pffft.

Considering the title of this subforum placed under the umbrella of "Standup Technique", I actually expected it to be about stick fighting, katanas, sais, etc.

Pretty much any weapons discussion is welcome. But if you're more interested in stick-fighting, katanas, sais, and the like, then by all means start threads about them as opposed to criticising threads that already exist.

BTW knife-fighting has as rich a history as anything else. It's present in some form in almost all cultures. From the balisong to the wakizashi or kodachi, to the throwing knives Native Americans are accustomed to. In Kali knife-fighting is one of the premiere aspects of the Art.

King Kabuki said:

Anywho, I carry whatever is the Air Force regulation knife. I forget what the shit they're called.

But PT, I have to disagree with you on something. It takes a great deal of skill to accurately and purposefully use a fire-arm. I've seen a lot of people handle one for the first time and end up burning the shit out of their hands or dislocating joints because of lack of skill. Then of course there's the "accidental killing" ratio. Where you have people who meant to fire a warning shot, or hit someone in the leg, and they ended up blowing their brains out. It takes a lot of skill and patience to hit a moving target, with a bullet that will be moving, in a split-second, where you meant to hit it.

Anyone who has ever done any sharp-shooting will tell you.
i'm not talking about being a sniper or something. what i'm saying is that the advent of the firearm totally demolished all concepts of honorable compat. it no longer pitted skill vs. skill but the prowess of the generals in strategically placing cannons and snipers...

oviously guns didn't cause all this alone, but i just feel that knives are more personal. if i shoot you before you shoot me, what did i prove? but if we fought in knife-armed combat, or armed with swords, then usually the more skillfull warrior deserved to win.

i know i'm overgeneralizing, but you get my point. i also feel that knives, and especially swords, can be great works of art and craftsmanship. i know guns can too, but there is something just beautiful about a masterfully crafted kitana, or a beatifully sculpted hilt or grip of a knife...

anyway, to each their own... everyone has their preferences!!!

man, i think this new forums is gunna be cool!!!

IndyCovaHart said:

knife combat is most certainly part of stand-up fighting technique. most knife fights aren't in the guard!

knife combat is most certainly part of stand-up fighting technique. most knife fights aren't in the guard!

lol When I brought up the idea in-detail for this forum Administration asked me where I wanted it. I said "Stand-up technique, since I can't think of any grappling weapons that are specifically used on the ground." One of the Administrators replies "How about a rake?"

What's hilarious is I couldn't think of anything to debunk the credibility of a rake being a grappling weapon to be used on the ground. In the most literal senses.

Anyhow, I respect your opinion. I just think that over-use and irresponsibility of guns has discredited their inherent need for skill. It seems a lot of morons can indeed find them easily used to over-compensate for lack of skill, making it a bit of a catch-22.

Maybe some comedian was right in saying they should recall all the guns available to the general public and instead everyone gets handed out muskets. THEN it'd be a game of skill.

Camillus Becker cu7 (?) and a smaller stilletto style made by Walther or someone similar.Don't carry although I used to when younger..use them to teach knife defence and knife use/handling skills.If you can use/utilise a knife its easier to defend against one too.Always good fun when get out knife pells or start cutting up stuff....

Back