YAY Weapons forum: so, who carries knives?

Reyes touched on a point I wanted to bring up. In the equivalent of sensless gun violence, senselss knife violence takes a relatively small amount of skill. This is because in either case, you're likely to be fighting against an unarmed opponent. I can't remember who but someone on the forum said that they were once confronted by a knife weilding assailant and they took thier knife out to defend themself and the assialant backed down when he realized he could get hurt if he kept at it.

To be truly good with a knife takes a comparable amount of effort and training to becoming good with a gun. And in either case, there's nothing like real live experience to really let you know what you're capable of. Lots of sport shooters, for example, would fall to bits on a battlefield.

Anyways, moral of the story from the Cowboy's point of view:
Don't hurt people unless you have to. Respect the effort necessary to develop any sort of skill.

PT447 said:
your thinking in the box my friend. most gun related deaths are by handguns, on the streets, in homes, #### like that... up close and personal with a handgun! no 100 yard ####, nothing. i pull a gun, shove it in your direction and pull the trigger. no skill!

I still maintain my view that this is because it's easier to conceal and transport a weapon that's 9" long than it is to do the same with one 30" long. It's convienience that causes people to choose handguns, not killing efficiency. People that own handguns for self defense tend to have them easily accessible. That person may keep his pistol in his nightstand while keeping rifles in a safe. I know several people that do this. A pistol is not chosen becasue it's easier to kill with. A rifle is much easier to hit what you're aiming at and can have an easier time of delivering a larger round at a higher velocity than a handgun. Hell, from close range it's hard to beat a shotgun for killing. You can cause unbelieveable trauma from close range (the same range handguns are liable to be used). So this should really be the weapon of choice for the situations you seem to be concerned with (up close and personal). Obviously this isn't the case. So, one more time so there's no confusion: Handguns cause more deaths due to convienience of transport, concealability, and accessibility, not due to ease of use and killing ability.

PT447 said:
oh, i also don't think i said "guns are for #######" but if anything, your more than proving my ever-present notion that military people tend to be a little to religious about their weapons and their place in the world!

I never claimed you said guns are for #######. You did state that you felt knives are more honorable than guns. That's what I responded to, because when it comes to survival I don't believe in fighting fair and "honorable". Notions like that will get people killed. Don't take my words and twist them to make me out to be a bad person either. I fully believe in conducting yourself with honor, treating people with respect, even someone who was trying to kill you moments before but has now surrendered. That separates us from the terrorists we're fighting. We feed and clothes prisoners, and we provide help to the people of the nations we occupy. They cut the heads off of noncombatants and set off bombs indiscriminantely killing their own people.
In a street situation where my life is at stake, I would try to get away, but if it comes to my or my family's safety or the assailant, I would do whatever is neccessary to protect myself and them.
I fully belive in fair fights in the case of boxing, mma, and other combat sports. That's because they're sports.
That's my rant. Take it for what it's worth.

As far as military people being "religious" about our weapons. Considering that my weapon may save my life or that of my Marines one day, it definitely elevates their importance and the importance of marksmanship. It makes you appreciate how much time really has to be put in to the use of them in order to be effective. I also realize that taking guns from honest people just makes a bunch of honest people without guns and a bunch of bad guys with guns. Not a good situation, but that's really a different topic.

PT447 said:
dude, marksmanship is one thing, but you will never show any proof that picking up a pistol and shooting it at someone reqires more than 0% skill and effort!

Anymore than swinging a knife at someone takes more than 0% skill? Picking up a knife and swinging or thrusting it doesn't take any more skill than picking up a handgun, clicking it off safe, racking a round if neccessary and then pulling the trigger in the direction of your target. Neither situation takes a much skill, but neither guarantees damage.
I can prove that shooting a pistol requires more than 0% skill and effort. All it takes is to go to a range and shoot from 5 yds away. That's only about 3-4 steps away, and it is very difficult for the untrained person to hit the target much less center mass or in the face. Back up to 15 yds or 25 yds, and it becomes exponentially harder. Try it. I'm sure there is a pistol range somewhere near you where you can rent a pistol and do some shooting to see what it's like. Do that and you may rethink your position.

PT447 said:
how come people can't read threads? i said that other than "marksmenship" and other skilled endevours, the use of a handgun at its most basic (and interestingly, most used) level, is a totally unskilled act!

I read very well. Maybe you should take a closer look at what I read. I strongly urge you to find a pistol range where you can rent a gun and shoot. Try from a close range, 5-7 yds and see just how you do. Maybe it will change your mind, maybe it won't, but it is worth a try, and what do you have to lose except a few bucks. Might even have some fun too.

CowboyPete said:
Reyes touched on a point I wanted to bring up. In the equivalent of sensless gun violence, senselss knife violence takes a relatively small amount of skill. This is because in either case, you're likely to be fighting against an unarmed opponent. I can't remember who but someone on the forum said that they were once confronted by a knife weilding assailant and they took thier knife out to defend themself and the assialant backed down when he realized he could get hurt if he kept at it.

To be truly good with a knife takes a comparable amount of effort and training to becoming good with a gun. And in either case, there's nothing like real live experience to really let you know what you're capable of. Lots of sport shooters, for example, would fall to bits on a battlefield.

Anyways, moral of the story from the Cowboy's point of view:
Don't hurt people unless you have to. Respect the effort necessary to develop any sort of skill.

I completely agree Cowboy. You can't compare skilled use of anything to unskilled use. Apples and oranges. I also agree with your moral. Hurting people unneccessarily is bad.

Reyesnuthugr said:
Most crazies, from what I've seen, like knives :D (I've never seen a "crazy" that has something against them)

I still like knives

Well, co'mon now. You mentioned that most gun violence is from handguns. Why? Because they are the concealable/portable version of a gun. Whereas most edged violence comes from which type of blade? Axe? Sword? Or the more concealable/portable version of a blade ? Hmmmmm..

& while we're on the topic of skill--
How much skill does it take to stab someone? (hint: kids are better at slashing+stabbing than shooting)

I think the detesting of handguns thing is a media-driven phobia
but it's also understandable from those with limited contact of such
i didn't say it take's skill to stab someone... but it does take skill to fight someone who's skilled in knife fighting. this was my original comarisson... fighting against skilled knife fighters as opposed to having a gun stuck in your face and the trigger pulled! at least with the knife fight, you (if your trained or just good) have the chance to win in that situation.

stewy37 said:
I still maintain my view that this is because it's easier to conceal and transport a weapon that's 9" long than it is to do the same with one 30" long. It's convienience that causes people to choose handguns, not killing efficiency. People that own handguns for self defense tend to have them easily accessible. That person may keep his pistol in his nightstand while keeping rifles in a safe. I know several people that do this. A pistol is not chosen becasue it's easier to kill with. A rifle is much easier to hit what you're aiming at and can have an easier time of delivering a larger round at a higher velocity than a handgun. Hell, from close range it's hard to beat a shotgun for killing. You can cause unbelieveable trauma from close range (the same range handguns are liable to be used). So this should really be the weapon of choice for the situations you seem to be concerned with (up close and personal). Obviously this isn't the case. So, one more time so there's no confusion: Handguns cause more deaths due to convienience of transport, concealability, and accessibility, not due to ease of use and killing ability.

I never claimed you said guns are for #######. You did state that you felt knives are more honorable than guns. That's what I responded to, because when it comes to survival I don't believe in fighting fair and "honorable". Notions like that will get people killed. Don't take my words and twist them to make me out to be a bad person either. I fully believe in conducting yourself with honor, treating people with respect, even someone who was trying to kill you moments before but has now surrendered. That separates us from the terrorists we're fighting. We feed and clothes prisoners, and we provide help to the people of the nations we occupy. They cut the heads off of noncombatants and set off bombs indiscriminantely killing their own people.
In a street situation where my life is at stake, I would try to get away, but if it comes to my or my family's safety or the assailant, I would do whatever is neccessary to protect myself and them.
I fully belive in fair fights in the case of boxing, mma, and other combat sports. That's because they're sports.
That's my rant. Take it for what it's worth.

As far as military people being "religious" about our weapons. Considering that my weapon may save my life or that of my Marines one day, it definitely elevates their importance and the importance of marksmanship. It makes you appreciate how much time really has to be put in to the use of them in order to be effective. I also realize that taking guns from honest people just makes a bunch of honest people without guns and a bunch of bad guys with guns. Not a good situation, but that's really a different topic.

Anymore than swinging a knife at someone takes more than 0% skill? Picking up a knife and swinging or thrusting it doesn't take any more skill than picking up a handgun, clicking it off safe, racking a round if neccessary and then pulling the trigger in the direction of your target. Neither situation takes a much skill, but neither guarantees damage.
I can prove that shooting a pistol requires more than 0% skill and effort. All it takes is to go to a range and shoot from 5 yds away. That's only about 3-4 steps away, and it is very difficult for the untrained person to hit the target much less center mass or in the face. Back up to 15 yds or 25 yds, and it becomes exponentially harder. Try it. I'm sure there is a pistol range somewhere near you where you can rent a pistol and do some shooting to see what it's like. Do that and you may rethink your position.

I read very well. Maybe you should take a closer look at what I read. I strongly urge you to find a pistol range where you can rent a gun and shoot. Try from a close range, 5-7 yds and see just how you do. Maybe it will change your mind, maybe it won't, but it is worth a try, and what do you have to lose except a few bucks. Might even have some fun too.

I completely agree Cowboy. You can't compare skilled use of anything to unskilled use. Apples and oranges. I also agree with your moral. Hurting people unneccessarily is bad.

i'm sorry if i started an argument here, but i'll try to rebut your points as politely as possible...LOL...

anyway, your point about the transportability of handguns has everything to do with its choice and ease of use. its just easier to carry, pull and use a handgun. so thats about it for that one.

i just posted above about the "skill" of knife fights. that was what i was talking about... not just your average stab. like i've said, most situations involving knives are, you pull it, i give you my wallet or run... you very rarely get into an actualy "knife fight" and when you do, yeah its mostly who got meat first. but to fight a skilled knife fighter, is much more of a challenge that facing a gangster with a handgun.

your shooting range point doesn't hold up since i'm not talking about a fixed enviorment and shooting at a ten-ring. in the street, i can just point my handgun at you and fire 6-8 times till i hit you. chances are i'm gunna accomplish that. doesn't matter if i hit you in the knee, head or the bullseye on your chest. i've hit you. again, i'm saying that it is harder to survive an incident involving the unskilled use of a handgun than it is to survive almost any knife attack. and, that from that comparisson, handguns require even less skill to use to hurt someone than a knife. since, a gun, in the end and in practicality, you point and pull, while as a knife you need to either catch the person, or deal with their counter-attack. with a handgun, there rarely is any chance for a counter attack, hense why they are so popular as illegal weapons in gangs and random violence... easy to use, with minimal risk of your victim retaliating!

PT447 said:
i didn't say it take's skill to stab someone... but it does take skill to fight someone who's skilled in knife fighting. this was my original comarisson... fighting against skilled knife fighters as opposed to having a gun stuck in your face and the trigger pulled! at least with the knife fight, you (if your trained or just good) have the chance to win in that situation.

Thing is, if you're going to make a fair comparison, then either both combatants have to be armed with the same weapon, or one has to be unarmed in both scenarios. This is very basic common sense, so you shouldn't dance around it like this by changing a vital detail in one example and not the other for the comparison

Also, if you are facing a skilled knife fighter, then he's going to keep you from knowing he has a knife untill it's WAY TOO LATE (until you've felt it plenty).

So, no. A gun to your head or a knife to your neck is prettymuch endgame for you. If you are armed equally and not caught by ambush, then it will take comparable skill for you to be the winner in that scenario, gun or knife.

One difference I see is that a gun will alert everyone within earshot, so a criminal does not like using guns to mug. Much more likely he will be preferring using something just as deadly, but *silent*. Also, in very close quarters like described, a knife is much harder to disarm. You have much better chance disarming a mugger with a gun than one with a knife.

Guns and knives both take a good amount of skill handling and knowing how to use. If you've never trained realistically using a pocket folder (knife) and end up needing/trying to use it in a deadly scenario, you have a very *specific* nasty surprise waiting for you. The other guy will definitely laugh

--------

[edit] read that again and it sounded kinda mean. Sorry bout that

Great points Reyes. Covered a lot of things I was thinking, but just couldn't figure out how to say it. Probably the best compromise between my view and PT447.

King Kabuki said:
lol Spray and pray. Shit now we're gonna have another jargon-term around here like Lay n' pray, and clinch n' pray, already the weapons forum has one.

Spray and prey is a Counter Strike term when ppl just spam the trigger with no skill.

Anyway on a serious note carying any kin dof deadly weopon on the street is wrong. If u want somehting for self defence get some mace or an extendable batton or sothing thats not goignt o killsomeone but stil fuck them up.

stav said:
Anyway on a serious note carying any kin dof deadly weopon on the street is wrong. If u want somehting for self defence get some mace or an extendable batton or sothing thats not goignt o killsomeone but stil fuck them up.
That is where you are wrong bro. I carry my pistol because all the criminals carry a pistol. I am not going to let anyone have an advantage on me when it comes to my own safety. If someone tries to harm me I feel absolutly justified in shootin the motherfucker until my clip is dry dropping the empty and unloading another if he is still moving and then kicking him in the face to make sure he is done. This sounds harsh dont it but if someone tries to hurt you they are not just playing around they may kill you, cripple you or maim you so fuck em they deserve to die

Yeah, can of mace versus 9mm = guy with the mace DEAD.

Homie don't play dat.

I have a really nice 3 inch Benchmade locking folder that has a thumb hole so I can snap it open real fast. It has partial serration and is all black, so it doesn't shine. I have opened many a box with that knife and it has a nice clip to carry it in my pocket. I have carried it in my back pocklet, next to my wallet before.

I have a big KA-Bar, the all black one, with the Kydex sheeth. I love that knife so much, but it is not the kind you can easily carry around. When I am out hiking or running way out in the hills here (or biking) I will put it in one of those water backpacks (simialr to the camel back hydration system). It fits in, inside its sheath, perfectly and hugs tight to my back. Only the tip fo the handle shows if anyone see me, and no one has ever noticed anything, but all I have to do it pull it and it slides right out. I have been attacked by dogs before and bears live around here, so it makes me feel safe (and pepper spray is illegal, I checked).

I have a few bayonets.

I have a Nazi SS dagger. I am actually not sure that it is SS, it might just be Nazi Army, because it is brown rather than black. It is beuatiful, bu not funcitonal. My grandfather took it while fighting in France. It is very big and has a swastica on the handle and inscriptions on the still shiny blade.

The knife I want to get is the black KA-BAR tanto model. I probably will when I get more money this month. That is one sweet knife.

A folding knife is low-profile, and more court-friendly. Chris Reeve makes the best and the sharpest. I have a large Reeve Sebenza, with a 3.5 inch blade. It cuts like a razor, but it's very strong. IF you practice opening it about 3000 times, you'll have near-permanent muscle memory. It doesn't take as long as you might think to do this. I can open it (starting with it in my hand) and return my thumb to the grip position in one second now. The small Sebenza, with its 2.75 inch blade, works nearly as well, and the blade length is more court-friendly. If you have to use your knife in self defense, you will be in court, so it's important.

My two cents...

computer fogie said:
A folding knife is low-profile, and more court-friendly. Chris Reeve makes the best and the sharpest. I have a large Reeve Sebenza, with a 3.5 inch blade. It cuts like a razor, but it's very strong. IF you practice opening it about 3000 times, you'll have near-permanent muscle memory. It doesn't take as long as you might think to do this. I can open it (starting with it in my hand) and return my thumb to the grip position in one second now. The small Sebenza, with its 2.75 inch blade, works nearly as well, and the blade length is more court-friendly. If you have to use your knife in self defense, you will be in court, so it's important.

My two cents...

I was looking for a replacement of my old Benchmade knife, but they have discontinued that line of folder, with the thumb hole for easy opening. How does your knife open? I want one that will not fall open without me doing anything and I don't want any springs or anything that will force it up with a button. I want some way to open it fast one handed, but that it will never accdientally do so (if the button is hit or if it is held a certain way).

Anyone else have any knoweldge about opening methods that migh help me out? THe thumb whole is the favourite type that I have used. Secure when closed, but with a fast wrist motion it is open and locked.

You might want to check out Columbia River Knife company. They've got quite a few knives with the thumb stud for quick opening. Most also have a stud that you cna swipe with your index finger to quickly flip your knife out, and that's the method I prefer. Seems more natural to me. Here's one that's not real expensive. http://www.crkt.com/m16alumn.html

Youmight also want to check out cold steel. They have a large variety of knives, and they're better quality than CRKT. Here's one that might suit you http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS27LC

muerteverde said:
...How does your knife open? I want one that will not fall open without me doing anything and I don't want any springs or anything that will force it up with a button. I want some way to open it fast one handed, but that it will never accdientally do so (if the button is hit or if it is held a certain way).

Anyone else have any knoweldge about opening methods that migh help me out? THe thumb whole is the favourite type that I have used. Secure when closed, but with a fast wrist motion it is open and locked.

A thumb stud. It's nice and pointy, so your thumb gets a very positive grip even when slippery.

stewy37 said:
You might want to check out Columbia River Knife company. They've got quite a few knives with the thumb stud for quick opening. Most also have a stud that you cna swipe with your index finger to quickly flip your knife out, and that's the method I prefer. Seems more natural to me. Here's one that's not real expensive. http://www.crkt.com/m16alumn.html

Youmight also want to check out cold steel. They have a large variety of knives, and they're better quality than CRKT. Here's one that might suit you http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS27LC

Wow, thanks, and thanks Computer Fogie too, I will defintly being looking into this. That is exactly what I wanted.

I carry a Winchester pocket knife for utility when I'm out. It'd be depressing to stab someone with it though, since it's not a Paul Hogan blade.

computer fogie said:

Sebenzas are definately beautiful and finely made folders although many brands use equivalent steels and are just as sharp out of the box.

If you are truly looking for speed in opening, look to a 'wave' eqipped folder. Or even a Spyderco with a ziptie mod. Not only are they faster than switchblades (while still being legal) but you could deploy from your pocket and strike in less than that same one second you are spending opening and gripping.

Here are my favorite six knives that I have in my rotation for carrying.

Benchmade 670 Apparition
Nice knife to carry though I wouldn't use it in a self-defense situation due to it being slightly small in my hands and the handle scales being slippery. It has assisted opening which is nice
Benchmade 42
I love flipping this knife, also balisongs are the strongest locking knife of all folding knives.
Spyderco Native FRN
Very useful little knife and it has one of the best steels for a knife blade (CPM S30V) also pretty cheap compared to other knives offering the same quality.

CRKT M21-04
Very nice knife, easy to open with the "Carson Flipper." It also has a system called "LAWKS" that makes it nearly impossible to accidentally close once open.
Benchmade Crawford Leopard
More of just a letter opener, the lock on this knife is old so it is starting to wear.
Opinel #12
My beater, very sharp with a high carbon steel so it is hard to break also very cheap.

I was looking for a replacement of my old Benchmade knife, but they have discontinued that line of folder, with the thumb hole for easy opening. How does your knife open? I want one that will not fall open without me doing anything and I don't want any springs or anything that will force it up with a button. I want some way to open it fast one handed, but that it will never accidentally do so (if the button is hit or if it is held a certain way).

Anyone else have any knowledge about opening methods that mi help me out? The thumb whole is the favorite type that I have used. Secure when closed, but with a fast wrist motion it is open and locked.

I would suggest looking at some knives with assisted opening. Assisted opening requires that you open a knife about 30

I like guns & knives,

but I only own knives.
love my butterfly knife!

Back