Yazdani Underhook Study: Sweeney done did it again

jack36767

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Another excellent video by @DPS831. I don’t always necessarily look at technique the same way (scrambling and it’s definition). I have yet to watch a video of his I didn’t love. (Nope I’m not paid by him, don’t even know what he looks like lolol)

This video is a breakdown of Olympic champion Hassan Yazdani. Specifically his underhook

My technique nerdyness has awoken my OCD and I decided to break it down even more
First, the style of underhook and it’s purpose
His style of underhook or “the Iranian style” is done differently than most teach it in the US. Someone who used this style of underhook in the US was Isiah Martinez
  1. First, head position: Yazdani, IMar or any Iranian you watch has their head opposite of what most would consider “good” head position with an underhook. The reason for this is a result of current freestyle rules. Putting your head on the opposite side (often getting an inside tie or wrist on the opposite side) allows you to push with the underhook safely from a dominant position
  2. Why is pushing so important, two reasons. Being able to push with a dominant tie like an underhook safely forces step outs and creates openings for offense. The opponents has to fight the step out. Which creates a predictable set of reactions

Edit: this is too hard to do on my phone. I’m posting it and will finish on PC

Last edited:
How good is the underhook under IBJJF rules where people are generally happy to get pushed outside of the mat?

How good is the underhook under IBJJF rules where people are generally happy to get pushed outside of the mat?

I've seen no small amount of jiu-jitsu matches, even at the highest levels, where both competitors will have a tendency to spend inordinate amounts of time in neutral more or less 'faffing about'; playing pattycake with each other and basically looking like they don't really know what to do with their hands.

Well, now you do know what to do; walk into that sumbitch punch that unnerhook in n' go to town.

I've seen no small amount of jiu-jitsu matches, even at the highest levels, where both competitors will have a tendency to spend inordinate amounts of time in neutral more or less 'faffing about'; playing pattycake with each other and basically looking like they don't really know what to do with their hands.

It's super annoying when people just back away when I try to wrestle with them, when I fake a shot loads of guys just step away super far.

Also I hate people just fleeing the mat to escape takedowns.

Another excellent video by @DPS831. I don’t always necessarily look at technique the same way (scrambling and it’s definition). I have yet to watch a video of his I didn’t love. (Nope I’m not paid by him, don’t even know what he looks like lolol)

This video is a breakdown of Olympic champion Hassan Yazdani. Specifically his underhook

My technique nerdyness has awoken my OCD and I decided to break it down even more
First, the style of underhook and it’s purpose
His style of underhook or “the Iranian style” is done differently than most teach it in the US. Someone who used this style of underhook in the US was Isiah Martinez
  1. First, head position: Yazdani, IMar or any Iranian you watch has their head opposite of what most would consider “good” head position with an underhook. The reason for this is a result of current freestyle rules. Putting your head on the opposite side (often getting an inside tie or wrist on the opposite side) allows you to push with the underhook safely from a dominant position
  2. Why is pushing so important, two reasons. Being able to push with a dominant tie like an underhook safely forces step outs and creates openings for offense. The opponents has to fight the step out. Which creates a predictable set of reactions

Edit: this is too hard to do on my phone. I’m posting it and will finish on PC

Jack -- thanks for posting the video and also for the kind words. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts on different techniques, and I appreciate the additional details you listed. How do you think the inevitable Yazdani/Taylor rematch plays out?

Jack -- thanks for posting the video and also for the kind words. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts on different techniques, and I appreciate the additional details you listed. How do you think the inevitable Yazdani/Taylor rematch plays out?
I’ll try to add more technique notes later but it’s testing season so I’ve been sucked into grading black holes lol.

I think it plays out differently, the first time it was Yazdani’s first time competing at the weight, he was probably having a massive adrenaline dump because of the home crowd, the political climate surrounding the event etc. all of which contributed to him gassing out in a particular way. And it was World Cup not the world championship. I don’t think Taylor has no chance, but I much favor Yazadani

I am sad that we will never get to see Yazdani vs Burroughs. In Rio, I think Yazdani definitely beats him, but Burroughs looked pretty stellar (as did Yazdani) at the 2017 worlds.

What is the role of the underhook in USA?

I like the underhook a lot and using this punching/uppercutting way of getting it. It kills the idea of trying to defend from an underhook because of the movement.

I’ll try to add more technique notes later but it’s testing season so I’ve been sucked into grading black holes lol.

I think it plays out differently, the first time it was Yazdani’s first time competing at the weight, he was probably having a massive adrenaline dump because of the home crowd, the political climate surrounding the event etc. all of which contributed to him gassing out in a particular way. And it was World Cup not the world championship. I don’t think Taylor has no chance, but I much favor Yazadani
Yeah, Yazdani definitely didn't look himself in the second half of the match. He was pushing DT out at will early, I remember. Will be a fun rematch though. At least in his college days DT almost always got a collar tie with his left hand -- my total amateur advice, having studied both, is that he should stick with that. Yazdani loves when guys grab a right handed collar tie and it leads right into his strong underhook game.

I am sad that we will never get to see Yazdani vs Burroughs. In Rio, I think Yazdani definitely beats him, but Burroughs looked pretty stellar (as did Yazdani) at the 2017 worlds.

What is the role of the underhook in USA?

I like the underhook a lot and using this punching/uppercutting way of getting it. It kills the idea of trying to defend from an underhook because of the movement.
I agree -- it's a shame we never got to see Burroughs/Yazdani. Yazdani/Dake would also be a fun one. I feel like Dake would be game to guy upper body with him .

Yeah, Yazdani definitely didn't look himself in the second half of the match. He was pushing DT out at will early, I remember. Will be a fun rematch though. At least in his college days DT almost always got a collar tie with his left hand -- my total amateur advice, having studied both, is that he should stick with that. Yazdani loves when guys grab a right handed collar tie and it leads right into his strong underhook game.
This video shows a basic version of what Yazadani does when he is in “dogfight” or “seatbelt” position that you were asking about. Only Yazdani throws a leg in. I really have so much I can add just can’t do it all at once

^yazdani prefers to stiff arm with his underhook on the head instead of turning his arm like askren shows. But both achieve the same result

How well is the step behind shown here: ? Getting to the lucas leite half would be super awesome for me, but not sure if I can trust stuff shown by random people (by bjj instincts tell me that nobody who isn't a world champ shows anything half decent on youtube ;) )

How well is the step behind shown here: ? Getting to the lucas leite half would be super awesome for me, but not sure if I can trust stuff shown by random people (by bjj instincts tell me that nobody who isn't a world champ shows anything half decent on youtube ;) )

This is the “step behind” knee pick/double from a reputable source,

This is the “step in front” version. I believe Yazdani does both

It all basically comes from their differing reactions to the throw by threat. If they don't 'do' anything (drastic), then you just take their back.

Yazdani most commonly ends up in the dog fight when the other guy tries to donkey kick with the whizzer as a reaction to the step. If they react by trying to stay square or keeping the near side leg back, then you go to the knee tap/ankle pick on far side leg.

Last edited:
It all basically comes from their differing reactions to the throw by threat. If they don't 'do' anything (drastic), then you just take their back.

Yazdani most commonly ends up in the dog fight when the other guy tries to donkey kick with the whizzer as a reaction to the step. If they react by trying to stay square or keeping the near side leg back, then you go to the knee tap/ankle pick on far side leg.

That's exactly right. Is there a name for that throw in wrestling? It's basically an uchi mata (with a whizzer) plus the hand post (instead of elbow control).

That's exactly right. Is there a name for that throw in wrestling? It's basically an uchi mata (with a whizzer) plus the hand post (instead of elbow control).

Due to the Joe Rogan effect, a lot of people these days just call it an uchi mata anyways (since, you know, any throw where you turn a guy over your hip is an uchi mata).

Last edited:
It's super annoying when people just back away when I try to wrestle with them, when I fake a shot loads of guys just step away super far.

Also I hate people just fleeing the mat to escape takedowns.
Yeah , that sucks. I have had matches where I walked the guy out of bounds over and over again because they refused to even tie up and attempt anything. They wouldn’t even pull Guard so it’s like you don’t want to wrestle and you don’t want to pull guard so why exactly are you even competing. Very frustrating when opponent does not want to engage and the rules allow it.

Would you advise using this opposite head position to set up takedowns outside of freestyle/maybe even folk style where passivity and push outs are a thing? I’ll echo the other BJJ guys here when I say that a lot of guys will flee the mat and not be penalized in a BJJ/grappling comp.

I point to that World Cup performance as the turning point for David Taylor. He was on fire, beating Yazdani and I believe Sharifov as well. It gave Taylor the confidence to elevate his game.

Back