Yazdani Underhook Study: Sweeney done did it again

I am sad that we will never get to see Yazdani vs Burroughs. In Rio, I think Yazdani definitely beats him, but Burroughs looked pretty stellar (as did Yazdani) at the 2017 worlds.

What is the role of the underhook in USA?

I like the underhook a lot and using this punching/uppercutting way of getting it. It kills the idea of trying to defend from an underhook because of the movement.
YAzdani outscored his opponents 46-2 in Paris. Id say pretty stellar indeed. And of course Burroughs looked fantastic but wasn't nearly as dominant.

Would you advise using this opposite head position to set up takedowns outside of freestyle/maybe even folk style where passivity and push outs are a thing? I’ll echo the other BJJ guys here when I say that a lot of guys will flee the mat and not be penalized in a BJJ/grappling comp.
It’s a good series period. If they don’t react you can bully and control them. It just has to be adjusted

Yeah , that sucks. I have had matches where I walked the guy out of bounds over and over again because they refused to even tie up and attempt anything. They wouldn’t even pull Guard so it’s like you don’t want to wrestle and you don’t want to pull guard so why exactly are you even competing. Very frustrating when opponent does not want to engage and the rules allow it.

As a matter of basic principle, it's nigh unfeasible to get successful offense off on someone who's only concern is just avoiding you altogether. Of course, if the match area were a wide open field, you could simply run them down; or, if it were in an enclosure, they would be trapped eventually. The fact that both players get reset every time they go out of bounds though, gives a categorical advantage to a man who is defending, or interested only in defending, by simply and repeatedly taking advantage of the mechanic, if he is not penalized in some way for doing so.

There are, however, still certain methods that can be more adaptive in such a context; particularly, the fact that if you know your opponents offense is little threat too you (or won't be making any appearance at all), that then in turn means you can open up to other lengths.

One example would be using more of a pinch headlock to throw by, like shown by Ken Chertow here:

The inwardness of this would be, once you dig in and get the pinch locked up, you don't necessarily need to keep going forwards, you can corral him going backwards too.

The underhook is actually a very good setup for snapdowns and works in a series with this, taking an attack depending on how up or down their posture is; getting a front headlock is also something that will let you control your opponents movement (and, you know, submit him).

Of course, if you're dealing with someone whos allergic to even getting in arms reach of you, then it can pay knowing howda sweep the leg in your back pocket.

Last edited:
As a matter of basic principle, it's nigh unfeasible to get successful offense off on someone who's only concern is just avoiding you altogether. Of course, if the match area were a wide open field, you could simply run them down; or, if it were in an enclosure, they would be trapped eventually. The fact that both players get reset every time they go out of bounds though, gives a categorical advantage to a man who is defending, or interested only in defending, by simply and repeatedly taking advantage of the mechanic, if he is not penalized in some way for doing so.

There are, however, still certain methods that can be more adaptive in such a context; particularly, the fact that if you know your opponents offense is little threat too you (or won't be making any appearance at all), that then in turn means you can open up to other lengths.

One example would be using more of a pinch headlock to throw by, like shown by Ken Chertow here:

The inwardness of this would be, once you dig in and get the pinch locked up, you don't necessarily need to keep going forwards, you can corral him going backwards too.

The underhook is actually a very good setup for snapdowns and works in a series with this, taking an attack depending on how up or down their posture is; getting a front headlock is also something that will let you control your opponents movement (and, you know, submit him).

Of course, if you're dealing with someone whos allergic to even getting in arms reach of you, then it can pay knowing howda sweep the leg in your back pocket.

Great videos. I love working the underhook. My main attacks from there are throw by, snatch single, knee pick, snap down, and a cross body double. Most of my underhook attacks are from the standard u derhoom with head on the same side as the underhook. Looks like The clip of Rich Salamone was Deashi Barai and Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi. I don’t have much luck with Deashi but I do Sasae a lot from the over under position. It’s a great off balancing attack that you can follow up with other attacks if you don’t get the person down with it.

Back