YCM Bag work critique

YoungCashMoney

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Didn't spar this week, feel pretty sick I believe I have the flu so decided to skip it today. Worked on the bag a bit though. Critique anything you see !

Also for fun: Can anyone guess my ethnicity?

Last edited:

Didn't spar this week, feel pretty sick I believe I have the flu so decided to skip it today. Worked on the bag a bit though. Critique anything you see !

You are better than me and us at boxing I cant teach you, we cant teach you, you can teach us though!

Honestly I think you will be famous.

My advice would be on the conditioning side you have a short neck which is great make it thick, you got a big back you should have a big neck too, a good chin is so important for effectiveness and your long term brain health/safety

Last edited:
You are better than me and us at boxing I cant teach you, we cant teach you, you can teach us though!

Honestly I think you will be famous.

My advice would be on the conditioning side you have a short neck which is great make it thick, you got a big back you should have a big neck too, a good chin is so important for effectiveness and your long term brain health/safety

Yes I do need to start working out my neck, a good chin/punch resistance is probably the most important asset, even above speed and power.

Lol Thank you so much for the faith. I can always learn from anybody, I'm extremely far from perfect and sometimes you guys truly do spot things I don't spot myself, and it really helps. No matter how good I get, its always better to have another set of eyes giving their opinion.

What do you do for neck training? Thats my big weakness. Havent found an exercise that is healthy and effective

Btw if you have the flu I would not do any sport. Can be very dangerous for your heart.

I like what I see. I was going to give you my honest critique but honestly I dont see anything I can nitpick right now. I'll watch it again and see if anything sticks out.

(One thing I noticed but isn't wrong):

Still putting most of your weight on the front foot and power coming from there. Not leaning as much forward so maybe not too far forward like last time, but maybe try operating with weight on the back foot sometimes (?) developing it could help with your defense/ability to counter and also buy you some precious time to see shots coming (and either move and/or counter) in case the other guy is ever fast or more skilled than you're used to.

Its pretty clear your left is your money punch. Developing the rear leg and hip (making it so your rear hip and shoulder are lower than your front) will make your right a lot faster and more effective even though its already formidable. It will also make your punches longer range while making you harder to hit. You may or may not want to stay there but it can't be a mistake to develop/exercise it more, imo

Right now, your forward shifted stance is more built for inside, close range work, but you're not an inside fighter stylistically. If/when you want to do inside fighting, definitely make use of this stance. The rear weight distribution works so much better for longer range where you like to fight from.

Last edited:
What do you do for neck training? Thats my big weakness. Havent found an exercise that is healthy and effective

Btw if you have the flu I would not do any sport. Can be very dangerous for your heart.

I dont like the weighted head apparatus thinger, I dont think its right to lift weights by moving your neck vertebrae like an arm doing curls. I also think the backbridge where you roll on your own neck thing is a really bad idea long term for your neck as the discs undergo too much direct pressure, the vertebrae actually grind and press together and it causes the bones to grow in a way that pinches the nerves, etc.

What I did that worked for me is something I read in an out-of-print boxing book from the 50's, which is to put a pillow or towel against a wall and put isometric (non moving) resistance against it with your neck for 10 seconds each side and front and back. I also did the 'corners' (NW NE SW SE) but you don't have to do that. My chin has served me well in boxing and I don't think its genetic, I'm pretty sure a lot of it is because of my thick neck from that exercise.

I dont like the weighted head apparatus thinger, I dont think its right to lift weights by moving your neck vertebrae like an arm doing curls. I also think the backbridge where you roll on your own neck thing is a bad idea long term for your neck.

What I did that worked for me is something I read in an out-of-print boxing book from the 50's, which is to put a pillow or towel against a wall and put isometric (non moving) resistance against it with your neck for 10 seconds each side and front and back. I also did the 'corners' (NW NE SW SE) but you don't have to do that. My chin has served me well in boxing and I don't think its genetic, I'm pretty sure a lot of it is because of my thick neck from that exercise.

Thanks a lot! I did a similar thing like your pillow exercise with elastic thera bands and then isometric neck activation by only moving with the feet. Its just so boring that I cant bring myself to do it anymore :)
I will try out your drill.

Thanks a lot! I did a similar thing like your pillow exercise with elastic thera bands and then isometric neck activation by only moving with the feet. Its just so boring that I cant bring myself to do it anymore :)
I will try out your drill.

It works very quickly. Your neck will get noticeably thicker in less than a month, probably in just a week or two.

To be clear, you put your head against a wall and push against it. The towell/pillow/cloth is just there to keep your skull/skin from grinding against the hard wall while you apply pressure.

What's really nice about this is you can do it basically anywhere. I even did it at work in the breakroom/bathroom sometimes.

I
What's really nice about this is you can do it basically anywhere. I even did it at work in the breakroom/bathroom sometimes.

I wonder what your workmates think of you.
"Hey Reyesnuthugr its coffee break wanna drink a coffee with us ? Na I will just put my head against the wall for 10min" :D

No offense meant ;) sounds like an excellent advice. As I am not allowed to do any other training at the moment (fractured rib) I will try it out today.

I wonder what your workmates think of you.
"Hey Reyesnuthugr its coffee break wanna drink a coffee with us ? Na I will just put my head against the wall for 10min" :D

No offense meant ;) sounds like an excellent advice. As I am not allowed to do any other training at the moment (fractured rib) I will try it out today.

Yep it can get embarrassing so if they catch you in the break room, just say something like you are trying to work out a kink in your neck, that might work ONCE. But if you're in the bathroom, then you dont even need to explain because THEY'RE the weirdo for breaking into the bathroom while it has someone in it.

EDIT: Make sure to balance out the front with the back and one side with the other side. Opposites. You dont want an imbalance, that sucks. As long as you do approximately the same time and effort on each opposing side you'll be fine.

I like what I see. I was going to give you my honest critique but honestly I dont see anything I can nitpick right now. I'll watch it again and see if anything sticks out.

(One thing I noticed but isn't wrong):

Still putting most of your weight on the front foot and power coming from there. Not leaning as much forward so maybe not too far forward like last time, but maybe try operating with weight on the back foot sometimes (?) developing it could help with your defense/ability to counter and also buy you some precious time to see shots coming (and either move and/or counter) in case the other guy is ever fast or more skilled than you're used to.

Its pretty clear your left is your money punch. Developing the rear leg and hip (making it so your rear hip and shoulder are lower than your front) will make your right a lot faster and more effective even though its already formidable. It will also make your punches longer range while making you harder to hit. You may or may not want to stay there but it can't be a mistake to develop/exercise it more, imo

Right now, your forward shifted stance is more built for inside, close range work, but you're not an inside fighter stylistically. If/when you want to do inside fighting, definitely make use of this stance. The rear weight distribution works so much better for longer range where you like to fight from.

Yes I agree, ironically though my straight right hand is by far my strongest punch, I can punch with either hand but if I'm going to knock someone out to the head, more often than not it will be the straight right hand that does it. My stance is very much for inside fighting, I would say though that my style is unique - I fight on the outside, but a lot of my damage comes from inside counters (from the outside), like my last sparring session the body shot that hurt the body was an inside counter, thrown from my maximum distance. I definitely need to be aware of different stances though as that can only help me. My leaning forward posture is to bait attacks from my opponent so I can safely land my check hook and set up my pull counter while keeping my chin protected, also aids with going under punches.

I will definitely keep it in mind, thank you. My left hand being my money punch is always the consensus, people usually fear the hook and my left power punches, however it really is just my most effective arm, my dangerous one is the right.

@YoungCashMoney

Is that a rival rb11 you use? Which model & oz do you use for bag work and sparring?

I just have to buy new gloves and rival is the brand I am favouring. As we dont have a shop I will just order some by recommendation.

I would like to add to your thread and tell you some mistake to fix ,but you are just lightyears better than myself and I prefer to learn from your videos.;)

Last edited:
First of all, your speed is ridiculous dude, especially your flurries. You make me look like I'm moving in slow motion and I'm not slow.

Nice fluidity, like the rollouts a few times after your combinations and beautiful outside slip and counter right hand as usual. Lots of good stuff, and physically you look really good. Didn't know you had a beard dude? Is it all the test pumping through your veins now? :D

Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with BookOfSpeed here. You lead with your head a little bit and you are vulnurable coming in, most noticeable while jabbing and during flurries. Granted, someone would have the balls to sit down and time you during flurries, but it could happen. Against your jab it's easier because a counter right or jabbing with you is a possibility. It's funny because it's the same patterns during your sparring, so in this instance bagwork actually shows something you can use.

Careful not to lead with your face (fine to use it to draw counters and set things up, not so much leading with it unconsciously).

Careful not to drop the jab hand as it retracts while moving forward, or being in their jab range (if it's a flicker jab that's fine when you have angle options and control the range, but if you're moving in with a straight jab don't let it drop down).

Careful not to drop your guard/protection on the hooks and flurries (I know that when you throw full speed flurries you basicly don't have time to use a guard, but it's a a habit when you throw single shot hooks as well. Obviously when you're moving out or away or have a setup it's less critical, but when you're stuck infront of them it gets you countered).

Have you started going back to basics a little with the footwork drills?

Last edited:
LIGHTEN UP! You are short changing your range big time. Even your hooks look way to short. Slow down, punch softly and focus on getting to the maximum extension of your range. Start with the jab, point that lead hip toward the bag and open both hips up. Hips squared at 90 degrees to the bag when that jab lands. Obviously a bit of an over exaggeration but it will help you get to the maximum distance.

Also looks to me like you're dropping to low on those rolls. You only have to drop a few inches to roll under a punch. Same with your lateral movement, although that looked ok. The smaller the movements are that you make, the better.

For some reason I always pictured you as a young black kid around 5'5 and a bantamweight?!?!
I agree with the distance comment somewhat but not entirely. I think your punches are perfect for your range, but your range doesn't change. There's a lot of shit around you that doesn't help though. There was nothing long, and you went shoulder to the bag a couple of times but you didn't really work it, and was back to mid range by the time you threw.
looking great though

That fucking hand speed.

<{danawhoah}>

Not gonna lie. You look great on the bag.

I only really do not like when you do this left hand down thing, shoulder rolling and stuff. People are not Maywheater, you are not either.

He used the shoulderroll all the time in sparring with success

@YoungCashMoney

Is that a rival rb11 you use? Which model & oz do you use for bag work and sparring?

I just have to buy new gloves and rival is the brand I am favouring. As we dont have a shop I will just order some by recommendation.

I would like to add to your thread and tell you some mistake to fix ,but you are just lightyears better than myself and I prefer to learn from your videos.;)

I'm not sure the exact model, but they are the 16oz lace up sparring gloves I use for bag work.

This isn't my area of expertise so take my observations with a grain of salt. I won't go into what looks good because everyone else has done that so don't think that I'm only being negative.

It seems to me that your head is a little exposed and vulnerable. You don't tuck your chin. Especially behind your jab. Your hands are seldom up where they can protect your head after a flurry or before a jab. Just watch your video while concentrating on your head exposure. Ignore everything else and tell me what you see.

Also, maybe you were just concentrating on your strike execution and weren't concerned with defense during this session. In that case everything that I've said is irrelevant.

Will keep it all in mind, thank you, I try to keep my chin as tucked as possible without compromising vision, I do need to get my hands higher though, when actually throwing punches my right hand (when throwing my hook for example) hovers inches below my chin, then right when the punch is finished gets glued back up there, need to get it like that during the punch. I am always concerned with defense so everything you said is definitely relevant.

First of all, your speed is ridiculous dude, especially your flurries. You make me look like I'm moving in slow motion and I'm not slow.

Nice fluidity, like the rollouts a few times after your combinations and beautiful outside slip and counter right hand as usual. Lots of good stuff, and physically you look really good. Didn't know you had a beard dude? Is it all the test pumping through your veins now? :D

Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with BookOfSpeed here. You lead with your head a little bit and you are vulnurable coming in, most noticeable while jabbing and during flurries. Granted, someone would have the balls to sit down and time you during flurries, but it could happen. Against your jab it's easier because a counter right or jabbing with you is a possibility. It's funny because it's the same patterns during your sparring, so in this instance bagwork actually shows something you can use.

Careful not to lead with your face (fine to use it to draw counters and set things up, not so much leading with it unconsciously).

Careful not to drop the jab hand as it retracts while moving forward, or being in their jab range (if it's a flicker jab that's fine when you have angle options and control the range, but if you're moving in with a straight jab don't let it drop down).

Careful not to drop your guard/protection on the hooks and flurries (I know that when you throw full speed flurries you basicly don't have time to use a guard, but it's a a habit when you throw single shot hooks as well. Obviously when you're moving out or away or have a setup it's less critical, but when you're stuck infront of them it gets you countered).

Have you started going back to basics a little with the footwork drills?

Lol the beard I started growing when I first got news of my surgery, and said I wouldn't shave until I'm able to compete again in boxing, so next amateur match is when it goes. For now, I'm on my way to the Jesus Christ look.
Always roll out and try to use some form of defensive move after every offensive move, thats the plan at least.

I see the punch I'm vulnerable to, and look at that, its the jab, that I always run into in sparring as of recently lol. I'm going to try and lean back a bit when jabbing so my head isn't so far forward. Yes I gotcha on the not dropping the jab hand and retracting back to original position.

Nah no excuse for me to drop guard/protection, if I'm throwing a shoe shine or something of course my defense won't be tight until its complete but for the most part I need my hands a bit higher overall.

Nah no foot work drills yet, but I am mentally thinking about all of it. I will start working on all of that soon though in my spare time.

I only really do not like when you do this left hand down thing, shoulder rolling and stuff. People are not Maywheater, you are not either.

I am trained to use both the traditional guard as well as the crab/shell/"shoulder roll", I am not Mayweather but I have received the same instruction as him, as we had the same trainer. It won't hurt to have that defensive move in the bag of tricks and to work on it.

That fucking hand speed.

<{danawhoah}>

Not gonna lie. You look great on the bag.

Thank you!

I'm a little red faced. I preach about this and didn't mention it. Glad you did.

YoungCashMoney

You rechamber well (something else that I preach about). I'm not saying that you need improvement but you still might find this useful. Who knows, maybe you'll find even more speed. Do a few bag sessions where you concentrate more on rechambering speed than striking speed. Concentrate on the rechamber being as fast or faster than the strike and always take the most direct path possible. I tell my students to make this a regular part of their routine.

No criticism, just hoping something that I throw out there will be useful to you.

I gotcha will do for sure.

For some reason I always pictured you as a young black kid around 5'5 and a bantamweight?!?!
I agree with the distance comment somewhat but not entirely. I think your punches are perfect for your range, but your range doesn't change. There's a lot of shit around you that doesn't help though. There was nothing long, and you went shoulder to the bag a couple of times but you didn't really work it, and was back to mid range by the time you threw.
looking great though

Work on changing range, gotcha. Yeah I work from a range that maximizes my power for all punches, helps because I know exactly where I'll get most snap, but of course opponents aren't just going to stand in my preferred range.

No one tried to guess my ethnicity! I'm 5'8 tho 135lbs, my last fight was at 115lbs though, grown quite a bit since when I was competitive.

No one tried to guess my ethnicity! I'm 5'8 tho 135lbs, my last fight was at 115lbs though, grown quite a bit since when I was competitive.

You have shared it before a couple years ago, but if you hadn't, I can confidently say that I never would have guessed correctly, regardless of tries allowed.

Back