Yemen-50,000 children dead in 2017 as a result of Saudi blockade

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-save-the-children-yemen-20171116-story.html

Not that you needed more reasons to know Saudi Arabia is vile.

The Saudi+Emirati blockade of Yemen has resulted in 50,000 child deaths just in 2017. Saudi is leading the war against the Houthis assited by the Emiratis and local allies. Foreign mercenaries are also being used by the Saudis and Emiratis

From Save the Chidren
"An international aid group says an estimated 130 children or more die every day in war-torn Yemen from extreme hunger and disease.

Save the Children said late Wednesday that a continuing blockade by the Saudi-led coalition fighting Yemen's Shiite rebels is likely to further increase the death rate. It says over 50,000 children are believed to have died in 2017."

The Saudi coalition has partially lifted the blockade after international condemnation, but "closure of much of the country's air, sea and land ports is making an already catastrophic situation far worse,"

-

“It will not be like the famine that we saw in South Sudan earlier in the year where tens of thousands of people were affected. It will not be like the famine which cost 250,000 people their lives in Somalia in 2011,” said Mark Lowcock the U.N. under-secretary general for humanitarian affairs, in a briefing at the U.N. Security Council last week.

"It will be the largest famine the world has seen for many decades with millions of victims."

-

And just recently the Saudi defacto leader Muhammed Bin Salman, called the leader of Iran the 'Hitler of the MiddleEast.'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42117134

One thing I noticed with MidEasterners, is the blatant hypocrisy and total refusal to consider how hypocritical they are.

Maybe the president can do another arms deal with saudi, like always. I bet that will fix it.

Maybe the president can do another arms deal with saudi, like always. I bet that will fix it.

Which president or prime minister? There's a lot of them that deal weaponry to the Saudis.

Which president or prime minister? There's a lot of them that deal weaponry to the Saudis.
Yeah, our government isn't innocent either. The fact that we support both SA and Pakistan is shameful.

Yeah, our government isn't innocent either. The fact that we support both SA and Pakistan is shameful.

They pay top dollar for weaponry and we have an applied physics / science industry that needs to be funded. It's our hypocritical dichotomy of portraying ourselves as "peace keepers" and then also ranking in top 10-15 of sellers of weaponry and components.

I don't mind the selling of goods, that's just the world we live in -- I hate how hypocritical and sanctimonious Canada can be

It's kind of obvious how the Saudis view the people of Yemen.

That Houthi chant though...

They pay top dollar for weaponry and we have an applied physics / science industry that needs to be funded. It's our hypocritical dichotomy of portraying ourselves as "peace keepers" and then also ranking in top 10-15 of sellers of weaponry and components.

I don't mind the selling of goods, that's just the world we live in -- I hate how hypocritical and sanctimonious Canada can be
I see your point, and agree with the hypocrisy. If we're so principled that "we must stick to our word" (a quote from Trudeau regarding the 15b arms deal), then we might want to question our ethical priorities. Trudeau has wasted enough money to bring his dedication to the all mighty dollar into question as well. Our current government is inconsistent as all hell on too many policies.

I hear that new Saudi Leader, Salmon or something, he sounds like a popular food fish, is much more progressive and liberal. Maybe he can put end to this.

170520072813-03-trump-saudi-arabia-0520-full-169.jpg

Big whoop. Im sure the US has killed way more over the last couple of decades.

The Middle East will be the death of this world sooner or later. Ffs could they just stop for one century.

Big whoop. Im sure the US has killed way more over the last couple of decades.
Is this the "but he started it", or the "but there are other bad things going on as well" defense?

I see your point, and agree with the hypocrisy. If we're so principled that "we must stick to our word" (a quote from Trudeau regarding the 15b arms deal), then we might want to question our ethical priorities. Trudeau has wasted enough money to bring his dedication to the all mighty dollar into question as well. Our current government is inconsistent as all hell on too many policies.

He's the Liberal Parties Trump. Talks out of both sides of his mouth and his quite stupid. I will never begrudge any leader who does whatever it takes to keep the cash coming in -- but it's that moral high ground he protrays himself nesting in and then signs off on arms deals, pipeline expansion and oil subsidies. I mean, all 3 are vital to Canadian Revenue so obviously he has to green light them -- but the fact that people believe him to be anything beyond status quo is weird.

I guess a good selfie game and constant pandering to identity politics can carry you in the great white north

Imagine if Russia or China's biggest ally, and the one that they sell billions of dollars' in weapons, was the one doing all the killing.

I hear that new Saudi Leader, Salmon or something, he sounds like a popular food fish, is much more progressive and liberal. Maybe he can put end to this.

Spoiler alert:

He is the one in charge of the War in Yemen.

Back