Yemen war news

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Could this have the ability to break apart Saudi Arabia?

Sweet tank!

Good idea for a thread, I'd lost track of Yemen.

Could this have the ability to break apart Saudi Arabia?
Inshallah Saudi and the Al Sauds will face severe consequences soon; which is why I am hoping they do militarily intervenein Syria.
Low oil prices is screwing them up too, and they innitiated it because they want to screw over American shale oil producers.

Sweet tank!

Good idea for a thread, I'd lost track of Yemen.
Most expensive tank ever , but some years back the Koren K2 took the crown fo most expensive tank. The later's expense is due to not being able to sell it abroad so cost per unit is high. The Leclerc was high partly as a result of a strong EU . Has gone down in price but still quite expensive.

In any case, doesn't matter how many expensives top of the line equipment the Emiratis have , they are just not good/expereinced in fighting. Better than Saudis and Qataris but still pretty bad.

I'm not that surprised that the Houthi have been able to fend off the gulf states/mercs/Hadi for this long and managed successful offensives on Southern Saudi Arabia. The Gulf states have better equipment but the Houthi have experienced guerrilla fighters, many Yemeni army units, and the Republican guard on their side, all these groups have a lot of combat experience whereas the Saudis don't. The Houthi have also arguably defeated Saudi Arabia once before in operation scorched earth in 2009.

I'm not that surprised that the Houthi have been able to fend off the gulf states/mercs/Hadi for this long and managed successful offensives on Southern Saudi Arabia. The Gulf states have better equipment but the Houthi have experienced guerrilla fighters, many Yemeni army units, and the Republican guard on their side, all these groups have a lot of combat experience whereas the Saudis don't. The Houthi have also arguably defeated Saudi Arabia once before in operation scorched earth in 2009.
The oil rich Gulf Arabs are lazy, coddled, entitled and not that competent ; well they are very cunning businessmen but when it comes to building stuff or fighting they need everyone else to help them. Yemen has always been known as the Wild West of the Arab world. It is the poorest Arab country; lots of hardy tough folks.
The Saudis are using Colombian mercenaries . Emiratis are more competent than Saudis and Saudis are better than Qataris . But overall all the oil rich Gulf Arabs are very ineffective fighters, considering the amount of modern weapons and Western help they have/get.

So is Oman getting involved in this?

No. Omanis are not Wahabis, they are Ibadi Muslims. They have good relations with Iran.
Omanis tend to keep a low profile and not get involved in regional wars supporting various sides.

No. Omanis are not Wahabis, they are Ibadi Muslims. They have good relations with Iran.
Omanis tend to keep a low profile and not get involved in regional wars supporting various sides.

I knew about them being Ibadi and all that other jazz, I just haven't been following the Yemen situation close enough to see if they got involved yet.

Another middle eastern country the average American couldn't give two shits about.

Let them war. Who cares

Blackwater aka Xe aka Academi has abadoned the Taiz Front in Western Yemen and lost "well over 100 mercenaries" , many of whom are Colombian mercs.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/blackwater-group-abandons-taiz-front-in-west-yemen/
The Houthi will push the Hadi loyalists out of Taiz if things keep going like they have been, the coalition is pushing so hard for Sana'a that they are neglecting their other fronts, half of the towns in South Yemen aren't even guarded, Al Qaeda has established Sharia courts in several cities with no resistance recently simply because the loyalist/Saudi forces don't have enough men.

The Saudi coalition is feeling the effects of ignoring Al Qaeda, suicide attacks are increasing and they are now being forced to air strike AQ positions. Too little too late.

New Report of U.S.-Made Cluster Bomb Use by Saudis in Yemen

Human Rights Watch
released a report Sunday providing new indications that Saudi Arabia has fired American-made cluster munitions, banned by international treaty, in civilian areas of Yemen, and said their use may also violate United States law.

The report included photographs from Yemen purporting to show unexploded but potentially lethal remnants of American cluster weapons, suggesting that they had failed legally required reliability standards.

If confirmed, the report could put new pressure on the United States over support for its ally Saudi Arabia in the Yemen conflict. The Americans have sold arms and furnished training and expertise to a Saudi-led coalition that has faced widespread criticism for what rights groups call an indiscriminate bombing campaign against Yemen’s Houthi rebels in nearly a year of fighting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/15/w...cluster-bomb-use-by-saudis-in-yemen.html?_r=0

Correction

Am not sure the origin of Al Masdar news.

Al Masdar.net is an Israeli news sites focusing on Arab issues and I had confused the two. I do not the relationship between the 2, or if there is even a relationship.

Is Blackwater actually taking part in offensives? Do they have helicopter gunships, and armour vehicles? Or are they there for protection duty, and advisory?

If they actually doing the shooting, tooting and looting, then may as well hire them to go fight ISIS too.

Is Blackwater actually taking part in offensives? Do they have helicopter gunships, and armour vehicles? Or are they there for protection duty, and advisory?

If they actually doing the shooting, tooting and looting, then may as well hire them to go fight ISIS too.
They aren't really black water , they are former mercs trained by the former founder of black water Erik Prince that have been drafted as a pseudo foreign legion for hire by the UEA. They aren't actually doing much fighting, they are there more for training and security, although every now and again a Houthi missile will blow a couple dozen of them up in Taiz or Marib.

Oman has a lot of historical trade relations with Iran.
Whenever theres beef between Iran and the Gulf Arabs, Oman is usually the mediator

Back