Yemen war news

From the Carnegie Endowment for Peace

" Saudi Arabia’s Unholy War "

" Saudi Arabia’s campaign in Yemen has boosted popular support for the Houthis and is fueling greater anti-Saudi sentiment. "

http://carnegieendowment.org/sada/?...KPmjr1YoETcJ0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEIQ7XYTLB2t60MWA==

-
You have the richest Arab country pumelling the poorest Arab country's civilians and infrastructure.

" The war has done particular damage to infrastructure—including reservoirs, airports, electric power stations, bridges and roads, markets, factories, stadiums, and hospitals. The education sector has been hit especially hard, with 39 universities damaged, 810 primary and secondary schools damaged, and another 3,809 closed. About 85 percent of the population of 27 million is in dire need of food, water, medicine, and fuel. Over 2.5 million Yemenis are displaced, and the attacks have killed or injured more than 23,000 civilians—among them thousands of women and children—using internationally prohibited weapons such as cluster bombs, as documented by Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International. "

Good thread. This is the forgotten war nobody in the West really cares about.

From the Carnegie Endowment for Peace

" Saudi Arabia’s Unholy War "

" Saudi Arabia’s campaign in Yemen has boosted popular support for the Houthis and is fueling greater anti-Saudi sentiment. "

http://carnegieendowment.org/sada/?fa=62959&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRovvKjKZKXonjHpfsX57ewpWKKg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YoETcJ0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEIQ7XYTLB2t60MWA==

-
You have the richest Arab country pumelling the poorest Arab country's civilians and infrastructure.

" The war has done particular damage to infrastructure—including reservoirs, airports, electric power stations, bridges and roads, markets, factories, stadiums, and hospitals. The education sector has been hit especially hard, with 39 universities damaged, 810 primary and secondary schools damaged, and another 3,809 closed. About 85 percent of the population of 27 million is in dire need of food, water, medicine, and fuel. Over 2.5 million Yemenis are displaced, and the attacks have killed or injured more than 23,000 civilians—among them thousands of women and children—using internationally prohibited weapons such as cluster bombs, as documented by Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International. "
I wouldn't call that just damage to infrastructure, closer to damage to almost everything that sustains modern civilization. Its almost like they're trying to literally bomb Yemen into the stone age.

Here's a good documentary on the war.

Good thread. This is the forgotten war nobody in the West really cares about.
You can't expect the media and the general public to care about every conflict or else Middle Eastern and African current affairs would dominate the 24 hour news cycle.

I love following this stuff but I try not to snub my nose at people who don't expend the energy I do to stay informed on these matters because they don't translate into anything really tangible in my day to day life. We all have limited attention and so we can't all be well informed about everything worth being well informed of.

Yemen basically highlights how full of shit most western middle east analysts are.

You can't expect the media and the general public to care about every conflict or else Middle Eastern and African current affairs would dominate the 24 hour news cycle.

I love following this stuff but I try not to snub my nose at people who don't expend the energy I do to stay informed on these matters because they don't translate into anything really tangible in my day to day life. We all have limited attention and so we can't all be well informed about everything worth being well informed of.

Well that is true, but also why I like that there is this thread.

Inshallah Saudi and the Al Sauds will face severe consequences soon; which is why I am hoping they do militarily intervenein Syria.
Low oil prices is screwing them up too, and they innitiated it because they want to screw over American shale oil producers.

And by doing so have screwed over Canada, Russia, and many other oil producing countries. I doubt there will be any diplomatic hurdles to anyone hastening the downfall of the Sauds.

I am bookmarking this for after work.
Even though it was posted a month ago it seems to focus mostly on the immediate aftermath of the Houthi takeover. Still good stuff I think, it seemed to try to take as neutral and middle of the road tone as possible.

I watched an episode of Vice about the houthi but it never really went in depth.

And using western weapons nonetheless, this is the reason why stopped posting in the Israeli-Palestinians threads, while i think the Israelis are racist and despicable, i just have limited outrage to give in the middle east, and Saudi Arabia is taking it all.

And using western weapons nonetheless, this is the reason why stopped posting in the Israeli-Palestinians threads, while i think the Israelis are racist and despicable, i just have limited outrage to give in the middle east, and Saudi Arabia is taking it all.
Most people, governments, cultures, what not have some redeeming value. I struggle to think of one positive thing to say about SA. And that's pathetic.

Most people, governments, cultures, what not have some redeeming value. I struggle to think of one positive thing to say about SA. And that's pathetic.
If I had to say something I would say its somewhat admirable that they've been able to maintain the house of cards that is their country. Its a country that depends entirely on foreign labor for both unskilled and skilled work where most of the citizenry depends on a bloated, inefficient public sector and welfare. All this in the middle of a desert that 100 years ago was sparsely populated, dirt poor, and underdeveloped. Its been more stable than the countries of the Levant which have seen coups and civil wars.

I still have contempt for it and its toxic influence on the world but a century ago no one would've thought that the backwards Arabian interior would be such an important and influential player in the world.

If I had to say something I would say its somewhat admirable that they've been able to maintain the house of cards that is their country. Its a country that depends entirely on foreign labor for both unskilled and skilled work where most of the citizenry depends on a bloated, inefficient public sector and welfare. All this in the middle of a desert that 100 years ago was sparsely populated, dirt poor, and underdeveloped. Its been more stable than the countries of the Levant which have seen coups and civil wars.

I still have contempt for it and its toxic influence on the world but a century ago no one would've thought that the backwards Arabian interior would be such an important and influential player in the world.
Uhm...so the positive is that they lucked out, fell ass first into a pile of money, and have the means to keep being their backwards selves? So basically they're the Beverly Hillbillies of the ME? I'll buy that.

What is really disusting is the US assisting the Saudis and still selling them weapons while the Saudis commit war crimes in Yemen. Britain is also selling weapons to the Saudis.

Atleast the European Parliment is doing the right thing.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-saudi-arms-idUSKCN0VY1K1

" European Parliament calls for Saudi arms embargo "

" The European Parliament called on the European Union to impose an arms embargo against Saudi Arabia on Thursday, saying Britain, France and other EU governments should no longer sell weapons to a country accused of targeting civilians in Yemen.

EU lawmakers, who voted overwhelmingly in favor of an embargo, said Britain had licensed more than $3 billion of arms sales to Saudi Arabia since Saudi-led forces began military operations in Yemen in March last year. "

" However, any EU embargo would go against U.S. President Barack Obama's policy of bolstering U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia after Washington brokered a deal with regional rival Iran last year to curtail Tehran's nuclear ambitions. "

They are desert bandits with money and living proof that wealth does not equal civilization.

16 killed , including 4 nuns at an old folks home in Southern Yemen.

Pope Francis has condemned the killing of 16 people, including four Catholic nuns, at an old people's home in Yemen.

He called Friday's gun attack in Aden an "act of senseless and diabolical violence".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35735971

The nuns were from Rwanda, Kenya and India and belonged to the Missionaries of Charity org. They were in Yemen to care for elederly Yemenis.

Has all the hallmarks of an Al Qaeda or ISIS operation, since they targetted Nuns and this happened in Southern Yemen while Houthi power is in Northern Yemen.

-

Saudi and allied coalition forces are pounding the Houthis, civilians and Yemeni army , the very Yemeni forces that were fighting the Sunni Jihadis. Saudis are focusing their firepower on the Houthis and their allies instead of the Sunni Jihadis.

Last edited:
16 killed , including 4 nuns at an old folks home in Southern Yemen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35735971

The nuns were from Rwanda, Kenya and India and belonged to the Missionaries of Charity org. They were in Yemen to care for elederly Yemenis.

Has all the hallmarks of an Al Qaeda or ISIS operation, since they targetted Nuns and this happened in Southern Yemen while Houthi power is in Northern Yemen.

-

Saudi and allied coalition forces are pounding the Houthis, civilians and Yemeni army , the very Yemeni forces that were fighting the Sunni Jihadis. Saudis are focusing their firepower on the Houthis and their allies instead of the Sunni Jihadis.
Increasingly the Saudi policy of using lunatic jihadists to project influence is alienating them in the world. It wasn't the brutal dictator Assad but ISIS that shocked the world and more and more people are seeing the toxic influence the Saudis have on the region.

As far as Yemen goes maybe they're better off being split into North and South Yemen again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/obituaries/ali-saleh-dead.html

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/ind...yemen_following_the_death_of_former_pres.html

"The civil war in Yemen escalated Monday, as graphic photos and videos surfaced confirming the death of its former president in the capital, Sanaa. Since 2015, Yemen has been involved in war, as the Houthi rebel movement fought the government and current President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi, creating a humanitarian catastrophe.

The news of Ali Abdullah Saleh's death comes three days after a press conference he led, in which he appeared to switch sides during the war. In his press conference Saturday, Saleh reported he was ending his alliance with the Houthi to "turn the page" on relations with a Saudi coalition fighting the rebels."

Back