Yoel Romero plans lawsuit against Illinois State Athletic Commission

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Jun 12, 2018.

1. kazam

kazam Purple Belt

when your plan is to weight in a 186 to get 2 extra hours to cut weights you need to check your priority in life

JJ Frog likes this.
  2. Brandon Wilson

Brandon Wilson Amateur Fighter

'Up to 2 hours'.

I don't think he has a case tbh.

Though as someone else pointed out, if it was a perceived health issue that caused them (the commission) to end the weight cut early, then the fight probably should have been cancelled.

RJK likes this.
  3. magicmarker

magicmarker Purple Belt

Well said. The commission has to protect themselves, and err on the side of caution.

Why do something so risky that takes the control out of your hands for a TITLE FIGHT?!?!

Was this Yoel's idea or his manager. If it wasn't his idea he should just fire the manager. If it was Yoel's idea then he should have at least tried to weigh-in standing on one leg again.

no homo likes this.
  4. Whippy McGee

Whippy McGee Brown Belt

He should have gotten off the stool sooner?

Or is that passed the stool sooner?

Anyways, he should have pushed down on the towel.

5. BigBadBruins

BigBadBruins Blue Belt

It’s sounds like they had every intention for him to miss weight on the first try. There has got to be something in the fighters contract that says he/she can’t do that, right?

If that is the case then I think deserves to lose his money. Maybe every more because he cheated

6. kwd1253

kwd1253 Green Belt

Well I just think out the box to stop people playing the game trying get extra time to make it easier on their selves. You always going have people try use the system up. Kind like the trt thing, no 26 year old needs trt not going say Duffy! name lol.

Why you think they should get any if they miss it after the two hrs, just asking?

7. MMAart

MMAart Yellow Card Yellow Card

I'm holding my judgement until I hear from Dana himself... - the opposite of what will say will be the truth.

thoughtsone and iwhoopedbatman like this.
  8. kflo

kflo Gold Belt

Make weight the first time and commission has no say.

9. mangokush

mangokush Brown Belt

Romero is fighting back against injustice and tyranny.

The corrupt commissions needs to be investigated for racism against Romero for not allowing him the standard 2 hours to try and make weight after he missed it by 0.2 pounds which he is now launching a lawsuit against.

Romero will drain the swamp against the corrupt commissions that plague MMA.

10. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

Well, their story seems to be that they intended for him to be on weight, on time until they were told by the Athletic Commission that he would get the extra 2 hours, at which point they told him to relax and cut more slowly so as not to wear himself out. If that's accurate, it was fucked up for the AC to renege when (again, according to Romero's team) two doctors (1 AC, 1 UFC) and an EMT signed off on him continuing to cut. But who knows if it's actually true. Also, at the end of the day, the commission makes the decision whether he can continue, not the doctors. It's hardly cheating, just stupid strategy based on expecting the AC to not do whatever they feel like in the moment.

11. BigBadBruins

BigBadBruins Blue Belt

Still that is no reason for him to just stop trying to make weight on the first try. Even if he was told he would have extra time IF he missed weight.

You’re right, the strategy was incredibly dumb. Yoel didn’t make weight in his last fight either, why the hell wouldn’t he make damn sure that he was going to make weight on the first attempt? Repeat offended should get no leniency.

It is kinda fucked up that they didn’t give him the full 2 hours though. AC always do shit like this now. It’s starting to seem like the norm.

12. Kinosis

Kinosis Blue Belt

Don't really care about the lawsuit either way, but he is right he won the fight.

13. Dirge

Dirge Black Belt

If Romero hadn't missed weight in his last fight as well he might actually get a bit of sympathy...

14. thobra

thobra Black Belt

Of course it does. Especially when they found Romero unfit to continue cutting.

He is using lawyers again to get it like he wants it. Lets see if it helps this time..

15. killakillakilla

killakillakilla Brown Belt

I don’t understand how it benefits Yoel to miss weight the first time on purpose. Sure he gets a little more time but that’s a couple more hours of complete agony while your opponent is rehydrating and eating.

no homo likes this.
  16. Jon eddward

Jon eddward Orange Belt

How is using time that is allotted to you under the rules bending the rules...?

Alanf7 likes this.
  17. MPD-Psycho

MPD-Psycho Silver Belt

Ha ha inception, but can we go deeper?

18. thoughtsone

thoughtsone Silver Belt

Up to. Not will be given 2 hours. Up to 2 hours, which means the legal reading of that means that's the max not the min.

19. Ass-hat

Ass-hat Yellow Belt

See this is what I don't get as I'm no expert at weight cutting. The plan was to always miss weight and utilise those 2 extra hours.

Wouldn't it be better for the fighter to make weight first time so he can utilise the extra time to dehydrate and eat rather than miss weight and lose another 2 hours to cutting and feeling like shit. 7

20. pamirec

pamirec Black Belt

As much as I’m not a Yoel fan, I can’t blame him for planning to use those two hours. I mean, is there any rule that says you can’t use them? If you don’t want anyone use the extra hours, then get rid of them completely. Once the rules say so, you can’t fucking stop someone from taking advantage of them.