YOKKAO boxing gloves review

CBPWhg6VIAEJeXQ.jpg

UPDATE: After 6 times and 3+ hrs on punching bag, my Yokkao gloves start to show character. So if there was a con, the design doesn't last long. Integrity and function of leather gloves remain intact and solid however. The gloves continue to have a wonderful "snap" quality when I punch fast and hard yet I never worry whether my hands are protected. The foam is stiffer than my other gloves and takes some warm up punches before I get them flying all the way to the end!

Here's another pic after I wipe them down:
CBPWhd5UwAAtXAK.jpg

What is the fist mold like on the gloves? Is it open or more of a natural closed fist? My Raja's had the more open fist (helps with clinching), but I prefer the natural closed fist.

What is the fist mold like on the gloves? Is it open or more of a natural closed fist? My Raja's had the more open fist (helps with clinching), but I prefer the natural closed fist.

To me it's not any more open than Reyes boxing gloves but if you like a natural closed fist fit, then you gotta go with Winning.

They do look really open from that photo above, I've got a pair of 10oz Yokkao on their way, pretty excited as they look great.

They do look really open from that photo above, I've got a pair of 10oz Yokkao on their way, pretty excited as they look great.

Hope you got the leather ones because not sure what their basic line is like. They're pretty cool gloves. I haven't worn my Buakaw shorts yet, but I'm afraid I might accidently hurt someone from my mere presence in those shorts! :icon_twis Check out the craftsmanship and embroidery on this thing:

CBBiX1TUQAAUVI4.jpg:large

Tonight is my 8th time, over 4 hrs on bag with these Yokkao gloves. INCREDIBLE hand protection as always. I know this will sound outrageous due to its reputation and previous reviews but I cannot deny it because my own personal experience tells me this: Yokkao provides better hand protection than my Winning gloves.

That's right. AND it has better snap and feedback whenever I punch, much like my Cleto Reyes gloves. Know that both my Winning and Yokkao gloves are 16 oz. My Reyes is 14 oz.

So let's step back. Here's a pair of Muay Thai gloves that's 3x less expensive than Winning box gloves yet performs better. The only thing I will say about these Yokkao gloves is they start out stiff probably due to their stiffer foam but after a few punches you're on your way for major punching fun. I did 35 mins on the bag non-stop tonight and enjoyed every minute of it.

Remember though that Reyes can't seem to make gloves in proper weights so your 14oz Reyes are likely ~ 16 oz.

As for the quality, I'm not surprised. I had my love affair with winning gear but after lots of use, I feel like the fairtex and twins stuff I have is of equal quality and protection. I've been sort of turned off by winning gear lately due to the price. I almost never use my winning stuff anymore.

Tonight is my 8th time, over 4 hrs on bag with these Yokkao gloves. INCREDIBLE hand protection as always. I know this will sound outrageous due to its reputation and previous reviews but I cannot deny it because my own personal experience tells me this: Yokkao provides better hand protection than my Winning gloves.

That's right. AND it has better snap and feedback whenever I punch, much like my Cleto Reyes gloves. Know that both my Winning and Yokkao gloves are 16 oz. My Reyes is 14 oz.

So let's step back. Here's a pair of Muay Thai gloves that's 3x less expensive than Winning box gloves yet performs better. The only thing I will say about these Yokkao gloves is they start out stiff probably due to their stiffer foam but after a few punches you're on your way for major punching fun. I did 35 mins on the bag non-stop tonight and enjoyed every minute of it.

You're comparing bag gloves and sparring gloves, it seems. Bag gloves will feel better on the bag, but I'd be pissed if you tried to spar me with those. Of course a stiffer foam will feel more protective and give better feed back for you, but it's not so great for a sparring partner.
Winning gloves CAN be used on the bag, but really shouldn't if you also plan to use them for sparring and want them to last.

You're comparing bag gloves and sparring gloves, it seems. Bag gloves will feel better on the bag, but I'd be pissed if you tried to spar me with those. Of course a stiffer foam will feel more protective and give better feed back for you, but it's not so great for a sparring partner.
Winning gloves CAN be used on the bag, but really shouldn't if you also plan to use them for sparring and want them to last.

So 16 oz Winning gloves shouldn't be used on the bag?

Remember though that Reyes can't seem to make gloves in proper weights so your 14oz Reyes are likely ~ 16 oz.

As for the quality, I'm not surprised. I had my love affair with winning gear but after lots of use, I feel like the fairtex and twins stuff I have is of equal quality and protection. I've been sort of turned off by winning gear lately due to the price. I almost never use my winning stuff anymore.

Yeah, I agree with you on winnings, I don't use my gloves much anymore, they don't really do it for me.

Received mine today, not impressed at all. I've only tried them on, and to be totally honest I'm not sure I'm going to go any further with them.

2 main negatives for me, firstly the lining is very loose, I almost need to push it aside as I slip my hands in. Secondly the thumb position is terrible, basically sticking straight out towards the point of contact. I'm positive I would hurt my thumb throwing straight punches if I used these on the heavy bag.

Initial impressions of the quality are okay, they appear well put together, the wrist support also feels nice, cuff feels as rigid as Twins.

Received mine today, not impressed at all. I've only tried them on, and to be totally honest I'm not sure I'm going to go any further with them.

2 main negatives for me, firstly the lining is very loose, I almost need to push it aside as I slip my hands in. Secondly the thumb position is terrible, basically sticking straight out towards the point of contact. I'm positive I would hurt my thumb throwing straight punches if I used these on the heavy bag.

Initial impressions of the quality are okay, they appear well put together, the wrist support also feels nice, cuff feels as rigid as Twins.

Sorry to hear you didnt like them. I certainly like them a lot and look forward to using them once they're dried. That's with a rotation of Reyes winning and hayabusa. I guess they're not for everyone.

Sorry to hear you didnt like them. I certainly like them a lot and look forward to using them once they're dried. That's with a rotation of Reyes winning and hayabusa. I guess they're not for everyone.

I think I've got longer thumbs than you, as I've had both Reyes (12oz & 16oz velcro) and Hayabusa (10oz Ikusa and 16oz GSP Tokushu) and found them all to be uncomfortable.

I think I've got longer thumbs than you, as I've had both Reyes (12oz & 16oz velcro) and Hayabusa (10oz Ikusa and 16oz GSP Tokushu) and found them all to be uncomfortable.

I see if it's your thumbs, Reyes is actually very terrible because sometimes the thumb does get in the way for me even though I don't have any problems with other gloves including Yokkao. Hayabusa's reviews have a similar problem with people with larger hands. Perhaps you can look into these Hayabusa 16oz+. Link is below. The "plus" is for larger hands, which I hope might fit your thumb better:
http://www.hayabusafight.com/us-en/.../gloves/sp/tokushu-regenesis-16ozplus-gloves/
"Specifically designed for athletes with large hands, or those that like to use thicker wraps."

Also in case people aren't aware, Hayabusa Tokushu fits snug and fits me very well, probably too well because I can't imagine anyone with larger hands trying to fit into these gloves. So if you have large hands, you'll might have a tough time fitting into a Hayabusa 16oz. I haven't tried the 16oz+ (why should I, right?) but supposedly the company is addressing the common complaint about people saying their gloves are too tight.

CA6iEukXEAAB28X.jpg

The gear looks the part for sure. Its a pity the website address is stitched on the shorts.. that looks a little cheap and put me off. Yeah I know.. semantics..

Back