You have a $1000 budget to arm yourself....

infinitywarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation: Your town/city is being attacked in the near future, your last line of defence is forming a civilian militia. You have a $1000 budget to arm yourself for this encounter, (not including ammo). You only have access to your regular commerial gun stores. What do you purchase and what role would you take?

I think i would purchase maverick .88 security shotgun ($199)(close combat), mossberg 4X4 bolt action 30.06 with scope($359.99)(ranged combat) and the ruger sr9(close combat). All three should total about $1000. I would probably snipe from the higher roofs at first and transition to the shotgun if things got close.

Mossberg pistol grip pump on my lap at all times.

I'm pretty sure I could get a car for that money and get the fuck outta there. Of course I'd rescue some citizens too if said citizens were hot chicks in bikinis, I'm not a selfish asshole.

If you are in NY state, I think all you can find in the gunshops is bolt, lever, and pumps. Basically you will be armed like a WW1 army minus the maxim gun, tear gas, and flamethrowers. But you could probably make your own flamethrowers, and noxious gases. There are plumbers, and utility technicians around with that know how.

But anyways, for some reason only the bolt actions, and pump shotguns have stuck around in modern arsenals. No one uses the lever actions anymore. I always wondered why. For fighting between 50-200 yds, wouldnt a lever be faster than a bolt, and more precise than pump?

I guess I would pick up pump and bolt as cheap as I can go, and spend rest on ammo. Oh and by the way, I visited a Sports Authority on Long Island, and their Maverick 88 is now over $300. Man, you better arm yourself now, or you never will.

1,000 is a good budget for ONE Weapon, not an arsenal.
Even a pistol that cost 300-400 out of the gate will cost more. You will need a holster, a good gun belt, and a mag carrier.

But to play along: I would purchase an AK clone of good quality, and good sling, and some extra mags. That will run you about a grand.
I go with an Assault type rifle because you a AK type rifle is more useful hunting than a hunting rifle is when needed for combat. I did not go shotgun because that is too close for a first contact with an invading force. I think a pistol would be a waste in a limited budget.

I'd probably go with a mall ninja'd (SureFire weapon light, Mesa Tactical side saddle, leather buttcuff shell holder, Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech ghost ring sights, single point sling) Remington 870.

The golden gun from the video game cant remember if it mission impossible or james bond but ill find it.

Even a pistol that cost 300-400 out of the gate will cost more. You will need a holster, a good gun belt, and a mag carrier.

But to play along: I would purchase an AK clone of good quality, and good sling, and some extra mags. That will run you about a grand.
I go with an Assault type rifle because you a AK type rifle is more useful hunting than a hunting rifle is when needed for combat. I did not go shotgun because that is too close for a first contact with an invading force. I think a pistol would be a waste in a limited budget.

All around good advice. Im quite fond of AK type rifles, my brother just recently purchased a 5.56 converted Saiga and I think its a pretty nice weapon. A little bit on the pricey range for my liking, but it was nib.

Good points. I think i picked $1000 because it was something your regular citizen could scrap together in a pinch for weapons after other necessities. Now that you mention it the pistol probably is a waste. I'm in Canada and the AK/AR style is not as readily available or as cheap as in the states. I'd probably go assault rifle if i was in the US. For now i'd probably stick with the bolt and pump and maybe scrap the pistol for accessories.

Good points. I think i picked $1000 because it was something your regular citizen could scrap together in a pinch for weapons after other necessities. Now that you mention it the pistol probably is a waste. I'm in Canada and the AK/AR style is not as readily available or as cheap as in the states. I'd probably go assault rifle if i was in the US. For now i'd probably stick with the bolt and pump and maybe scrap the pistol for accessories.

But to follow up: the wife and I pruchased two pistols (M&P9 and M&P9c) and a AK (Arsenal converted Saiga), ammo, and some accessories for under two grand with this years tax return.
We went from have a self defense shotgun (moss590) and a sporting shotgun (some fancy Beretta she had from competitive shooting), to having a pretty nice arsenal if needed.

A good AR carbine.

/THREAD :p

Then I'll cheat by adding an aimpoint, a small light, and aftermarket back up iron sight.

Canada? Can you get mini-14's and such up there?

Well, I already have a Mossberg 4x4 bolt-action rifle and a Remington model 740 semi-auto. I've got a pump shotgun too, but it jams far too often when extracting for me to want to rely on it in combat. I guess I would use that $1000 to get a more reliable shotgun, either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. One of the marine models so that it can handle the elements while I'm out in the bush conducting guerilla warfare. Would probably have enough $ left over to pick up an SKS and some ammo as well.

A good AR carbine.

/THREAD :p

Then I'll cheat by adding an aimpoint, a small light, and aftermarket back up iron sight.

Canada? Can you get mini-14's and such up there?

Yes, but with pinned magazines that only hold 5 rounds. Speaking of Ruger Minis, they've actually been demonized here because it was used in a massacre in Montreal, but remains non-restricted (people don't need special permission to transport them as they would with ARs or handguns). Basically, buying a Mini rifle is a big "fuck you" to the Antis.

some sort of semi auto AK47 and a glock 17.

OP your choice in weapons is terrible.

Back