You have a $1000 budget to arm yourself....

A good AR carbine.

/THREAD :p

Then I'll cheat by adding an aimpoint, a small light, and aftermarket back up iron sight.

Canada? Can you get mini-14's and such up there?

Yeah i was debating buying a mini 14 but they are a tad expensive for my budget right now. They run about $800-$950 depending on the style, but they are pretty sweet.

Yes, but with pinned magazines that only hold 5 rounds. Speaking of Ruger Minis, they've actually been demonized here because it was used in a massacre in Montreal, but remains non-restricted (people don't need special permission to transport them as they would with ARs or handguns). Basically, buying a Mini rifle is a big "fuck you" to the Antis.

Yeah, but all it takes to remove the pin is a power drill and a few seconds of your time, which, in a situation like OP described, you'd bet your ass I'm doing. BTW it's surprising there isn't a massacre daily with all those unregistered Ruger Minis, the way some people talk about them.

And not knowing anything about combat or the tactical implications of my choice, I'd probably go with a vz58.

The marine finish on the mossberg is awesome.

I've never seen one up close. A buddy of mine has an 870 marine magnum though, and it looks pretty sweet. Didn't get the chance to fire it, but the action was real smooth and it certainly appears to be very durable. I believe the mossbergs are about $100 bucks cheaper though, so it might be the better option in this scenario. Frees up the extra cash for ammo and accessories.

I've never seen one up close. A buddy of mine has an 870 marine magnum though, and it looks pretty sweet. Didn't get the chance to fire it, but the action was real smooth and it certainly appears to be very durable. I believe the mossbergs are about $100 bucks cheaper though, so it might be the better option in this scenario. Frees up the extra cash for ammo and accessories.

I would call the Mossberg marine finish a matte silver. Grey just doesn't describe it.
As for Mossberg vs. Remington, I don't think you can make a wrong choice.

But anyways, for some reason only the bolt actions, and pump shotguns have stuck around in modern arsenals. No one uses the lever actions anymore. I always wondered why. For fighting between 50-200 yds, wouldnt a lever be faster than a bolt, and more precise than pump?

Lever action is cumbersome to use while prone. Standing fine. But from a military point of view you don't want to have to stand up all the time time shoot quickly when reliable semi auto designs exist.

Lever action is cumbersome to use while prone. Standing fine. But from a military point of view you don't want to have to stand up all the time time shoot quickly when reliable semi auto designs exist.

Not to mention top eject receivers make it difficult to mount optics or that tube magazines limit the kinds of bullets used, which in turn limit the variety of calibres.

I think lever guns could still be viable options even in today's society, though probably not in a modern militia possibly pooling from standardized NATO calibres.

But wouldnt pump action also be difficult to use in prone? Also dont bolt actions eject from the top as well?

But wouldnt pump action also be difficult to use in prone? Also dont bolt actions eject from the top as well?

Pump shotguns used today in the military are usually for door breeches. They are not a primary weapon. They use them to blow the hinges off the door and then the entry team moves in. The guy with the shotgun usually drops to the back of the group pull rear security and will switch weapons to somehting like a SBR or submachine gun while everyone else enters. The shotgunner is not the first through the door.

Bolt rifles eject just like a semi auto rifle. Up and out to the right typically unless you get something made for a lefty. Then it up and to the left.

Ar style rifle. It's an easy choice really. Its got the penetration needed to pierce he body armor of any invading army's soldier (unlike buckshot out of a shotgun), is lighter and more accurate than an AK, has very manageable recoil, and isnt money wasted on a backup gun like a pistol. A good advising what to spend your money on. Short of hat, I'd get a mini14

Ar style rifle. It's an easy choice really. Its got the penetration needed to pierce he body armor of any invading army's soldier (unlike buckshot out of a shotgun), is lighter and more accurate than an AK, has very manageable recoil, and isnt money wasted on a backup gun like a pistol. A good advising what to spend your money on. Short of hat, I'd get a mini14

Yet militias around the world still go with the AK.

Militias are typically poor, and reliable AKs are cheaper than reliable ARs and often manufactured near places the are militia controlled making them even cheaper. Just because everyone uses something doesn't mean its the best. There can be a plethora of other reasons something is commonly used.

I'm not saying an AK is a bad gun, or round. Only that for a grand you can get an ar and accurately hit a minute of man at 300 yards and win an AK you're often down to 100. What's more, the ar is a much more modular system giving you an option to more easily add glass, change out the sights, change grips and stocks, etc. And its more common among soldiers and police officers, allowing easy scrounging of ammo and parts from enemy and ally alike as well as easy sources of ammo to find (military vases and police stations are easily located, not that the ammo will be easily obtained.)

So if you got a reason for the AK besides its popularity among rebel groups... I'd love to hear it. And please don't start in with the "AKs are the paradigm if reliability and have never failed" nonsense. Thy are in fact plenty reliable, but if you can't hit the target, I don't care if it can crank out 20 thousand rounds without a jam. I don't know where this mall ninja obsession win an AK and a glock 17 came from, but its pretty absurd at times. I'll take the ar and m&p 9mm as a superior combo any day. But its gonna cost you more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back