You only live once or Save for your future?

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
Which one are you?

Are you the kind of person, where you consistently earn and save money for your future, so that one day, you'll thank your past self for not spending too much that you have earned a lot because of saving, and in the future you're all settled? Or are you that kind of person who thinks you could die at any moment, or even tomorrow, so you just continue living in the moment, buy what you want, do what you love, enjoy life today to the fullest, because you never know when your life will end knowing you can't bring your money and stuff once you leave this world.

Which motto should you live for?

Why not save while enjoying yourself reasonably? The middle ground is where it's at.

I'm the silent type who scans the room for loud mouths.

I make enough and have a sensible financial knowledge that I am never just in one situation or another.

For example, my savings are still going up on a year to year basis, but I still take month long vacation abroad. But I don't buy useless shit just because I felt like it.

YOLO, with a bit of future "proofing".

You cannot take it with you, and most of the time, you waste that saved money on keeping a broken body functioning to the bare minimum to keep it alive. My girl's father saved and saved, and now he live with oxygen tank always hooked up from lung cancer. Never smoked a day in his life... just have fun and use it to better your life NOW, instead of when you get old and dont, and cant, do anything with it

I've been "living once"
Go ahead and save for the future.

Live your life. Be responsible if you have family commitments. But don’t get stuck in the grind like so many people do. Wasting away every second of their prime years so the end of their life might be slightly more comfortable.

I'm more of a "in the moment" type of guy, there's always enough in my life. Money and I have a good relationship.

Gotta do both but i want for very little so it makes it easier. Honestly I get more satisfaction from watching my accounts grow than buying some consumer item.

Yolo phase atm but I keep saying to myself I'm going to start saving funds but never do ffs.

Besides traveling, honestly what is there to buy?
Having to pay memberships in a gym, buying gym stuffs, or if you have hobbies like boxing, buying gloves, attires, etc.
Paying every boxing sessions. Going to party on weekends.

There is no future

Why not save while enjoying yourself reasonably? The middle ground is where it's at.

I'd add with a side order to spending on things to actually enjoy rather than just mindless consumerism.

I mostly save but I'll splurge now and then. Really there isn't much shit I want though

This 100%. We’ve traveled quite a bit and are well set for retirement. I have a colleague who’s always said he’s waiting till he’s done working, but i think he missed out.

Having to pay memberships in a gym, buying gym stuffs, or if you have hobbies like boxing, buying gloves, attires, etc.
Paying every boxing sessions. Going to party on weekends.

I'd consider weekend drinking and gym dues just regular budget items.

My Jewish blood seriously comes out when it comes to saving money. I pinch pennies so hard they turn into diamonds.

Both. I just try to be smart with my money and prioritize. We are aggressive with our retirement/savings/etc, but at the same time try to enjoy the ride along the way. For the past decade I realized what is important to me. It's definitely not materialistic things. I'm frugal and cheap in areas that lower in priority. I don't try to keep up with the joneses whatsoever and willing to spend on things such as travel, good food on ocassion, my home and my kids. My neighbors next door just got a Tesla Model X. Shit, I could afford one too, but not dumb enough to try to keep up with them when I can get something else for less than 1/3 of the price. For most people I would say that's overspending, but both are physicians and probably bring it $500-600k+/year combined. If we made that much with the exact same lifestyle as we have now I may consider a fancy car too.

Back