• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

You would think getting approved for a rental house would be easier than ever right now...

Striderxdj

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
And you would be wrong.

Just some context info: I have good credit, never been evicted, immaculate rental history (no late payments ever), no CC debt, I make more than 50K, and my fiance makes about 45K, touching into the upper-middle class. We applied to rent a house as our apartment lease is up (and we need more room), We found the perfect house that just so happens to be walking distance from one of our best friends house. We got it right when it went on the market, and were pretty stoked as it seemed like the perfect house and timing and considering we make 4.5 times the rent expected a swift approval.... and we Got the message our application was denied.

The rental agency has a scoring system with an "approved" range of 540-800, we somehow scored a 489. They said if we could pay the entire years lease in advance (about $23K) we could just be approved on the spot. Our apartment lease is up in about 2 weeks (and renting month to month is 2.1K a month for a 2br1ba: ridiculous) so essentially I had to wipe out my savings just to have a place to live, as its not enough for a down payment on a decent house without getting screwed by requiring PMI.

Just a testament to how retarded this economy is and the insane bubble of real estate/property management. People are hurting far worse than we are, and these companies would rather not rent something to anyone (making nothing for their empty houses) rather than "risk" renting a place to people who can clearly afford it due to some ridiculous and arbitrary metrics.

Try negotiating.

You have to appreciate that right now landlords are being told they cannot evict tenants like under normal circumstances. That's a good reason for reluctance, yeah?

ill be mo7ving on jun e 26 u bcan sublet my current apartment for 1200 a month in a nice location in a desirtable city they allow dogs and its clean dn buig in onmain st

Why don't you just stay where you are now?

A number of reasons:
~ The only reason I'm even living in this place is because the same company owns the complex where I lived in NC, so I was able to just transfer my lease when I moved without any penalties/paying out the a** which worked out in the short term but its a good bit out of the way and my lease is up.
~ 2 People a kid and a large dog in a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment is already cramped, tack on the fact we have a ton of stuff and no room for it (storage wouldn't help)
~ We're on the second floor and the cheap wood laminate floors creak like an old boat. The people who lived above us had 2 dogs and a small child and it sounded like people were pounding hammers on the floor for 10-14 hours every.single.day. The complex wouldn't do anything about it.
~ We can afford it
~ Having a garage/an extra bedroom/ a yard for the dog and almost double the sq footage will be a huge stress relief as we're working from home and there is no "escape"

Try negotiating.

You have to appreciate that right now landlords are being told they cannot evict tenants like under normal circumstances. That's a good reason for reluctance, yeah?

There wasn't any possibility for negotiation, then there was already a backup application waiting. Apparently there are a lot of people trying to find apartments right now which is also bizarre, we're in a unique position of having jobs at a company that is thriving in the current circumstances (We help people build websites, and everyone is forced to move to Ecommerce right now to survive)

Time to play the race card.

Gotta be worth 60 points on their own made up scale

Can't you buy?

Wasnt looking to buy just yet , dont have enough saved for 20% down on any decent property, AZ market prices are inflated as hell right now. The house I grew up in was built in 88' and is a tiny 3b2ba, its Zillow estimate is 254k, for a small house nearly 40 years old, that is ridiculous.

Wasnt looking to buy just yet , dont have enough saved for 20% down on any decent property, AZ market prices are inflated as hell right now. The house I grew up in was built in 88' and is a tiny 3b2ba, its Zillow estimate is 254k, for a small house nearly 40 years old, that is ridiculous.
Yeah but 10 years from now that 254k house will be worth at least it's current value and likely much more.

The 25k a year you're talking about paying in rent is just covering someone else's mortgage in the meantime.

Back