Young Tyson

Tyson is a great case study. In the right environment, he was a world beater. But in the wrong environment, he self-destructed.

I wonder how Tyson would fare in the era of the 6'6+ monsters
His speed was insane and way ahead of klitschko, joshua & Co but would he find a way around the reach

I wonder how Tyson would fare in the era of the 6'6+ monsters
His speed was insane and way ahead of klitschko, joshua & Co but would he find a way around the reach

Prime Tysons game was getting around reach. The man was always shorter than his opposition he's around 5'11 so not tall at all for a heavy weight. Plus speed and power are things that dont really change. Always had a trouble with a good jab though haha

I remember seeing a clip of tyson being asked about his height "disadvantage". Tyson stated that he felt it was an advantage, because his opponents were not used to fighting someone "so short" where as he was used to fighting taller guys and Tyson said he would use this as his advantage to get inside.

I remember seeing a clip of tyson being asked about his height "disadvantage". Tyson stated that he felt it was an advantage, because his opponents were not used to fighting someone "so short" where as he was used to fighting taller guys and Tyson said he would use this as his advantage to get inside.
Did he really mean it though? Possibly just said it without really believing it, just to look good before a fight or for some other reason.

Did he really mean it though? Possibly just said it without really believing it, just to look good before a fight or for some other reason.

He really believed it. The interview was from when he was really young and it sounds like hes repeating things Cus would have told him (whether it was true or not). It makes sense though. Just like fighting a south paw, fighting a guy thats like five inches shorter than you in heavy weight isnt too common and since angles change it does have that "surprise" factor when you arent use to it

He really believed it. The interview was from when he was really young and it sounds like hes repeating things Cus would have told him (whether it was true or not). It makes sense though. Just like fighting a south paw, fighting a guy thats like five inches shorter than you in heavy weight isnt too common and since angles change it does have that "surprise" factor when you arent use to it

to me the feels like saying a 240lb heavyweight fighting a 160lber would be at a disadvantage because he's not used to fighting people with the speed of the 160'er

to me the feels like saying a 240lb heavyweight fighting a 160lber would be at a disadvantage because he's not used to fighting people with the speed of the 160'er

Its more like saying a 220lb 5'11 heavyweight with the speed of a 160lber would be at an advantage against a 250lb 6'4 heavyweight.

It was Mike talking specifically about himself and his own height. He hit just as hard if not harder than most of the heavyweights at that time and as fast if not faster. Just so happened he was always the smaller guy of the two and he found that to be advantageous.

A 160lber fighting a 240lb fighter is a totally different situation.

they turned a negative into a positive. looking at the glass half full.

Giving up height and reach puts you at a disadvantage.

Tysons though process effectively canceled out that disadvantage.

Can we say that Tyson is a manlet?

Back