Your amp collection

I've got a Fender Deluxe reverb reissue. I've had it for about 5 years and still believe its the best sounding amp I've ever played through. Its doesn't have a lead channel like modern amps but there's not much I can't do with it combined with a couple of overdrive and distortion pedals.

I've also got one of the first generation Peavey Valve Kings but I never use that thing anymore. Its a decent enough amp, but Peaveys always sound sort of shitty when you crank them up IMO.
its probably a reissue of my dad's amp. I never liked using mine with pedals, I can crank it and get all the tube compression and break up I want, especially with the reverb on. The new amps never sound dirty enough to my liking. Although I have played the amp you have, and it sounds pretty nice.

its probably a reissue of my dad's amp. I never liked using mine with pedals, I can crank it and get all the tube compression and break up I want, especially with the reverb on. The new amps never sound dirty enough to my liking. Although I have played the amp you have, and it sounds pretty nice.
One thing about deluxe reverbs (and most blackface fenders) is that the tube bias is generally set too cold. The tubes should be run a little hotter than what they are when you play one in a store. The cleans are there, but my DRRI was hard to push into overdrive with the bias cold. ITs a pretty simple procedure but not one that your average musician knows how to do on his own and most techs aren't going to set your bias very hot out of fear that the amp will fail too early.

One thing about deluxe reverbs (and most blackface fenders) is that the tube bias is generally set too cold. The tubes should be run a little hotter than what they are when you play one in a store. The cleans are there, but my DRRI was hard to push into overdrive with the bias cold. ITs a pretty simple procedure but not one that your average musician knows how to do on his own and most techs aren't going to set your bias very hot out of fear that the amp will fail too early.
that tech stuff is generally over my head but i wouldnt be suprised if that was the case. Are you talking about the new fenders? The black face deluxe my dad has is besides my gibson GA 5, a low wattage amp, and my 1965 super reverb, the dirtiest amp I have. If you really want a trip, check out a tweed deluxe or vibrolux, their overdrive is perfect for rock n' roll, blues, hard rock etc. My experience is the smaller the amp, the more it distorts.

that tech stuff is generally over my head but i wouldnt be suprised if that was the case. Are you talking about the new fenders? The black face deluxe my dad has is besides my gibson GA 5, a low wattage amp, and my 1965 super reverb, the dirtiest amp I have. If you really want a trip, check out a tweed deluxe or vibrolux, their overdrive is perfect for rock n' roll, blues, hard rock etc. My experience is the smaller the amp, the more it distorts.
Well, sure its easier to crank a lower wattage amp up and get it to break up some. But most players agree that the bias is a little too cold and that the tubes should be running a little hotter than they are when they leave the factory. Google search "Fender Deluxe tube bias," there's tons of info about it if you're curious.

Yeah if I wanted to play blues, I'd go with at loudest, a super reverb or a deluxe reverb. You get nice distortion and speakers breakup out of low wattage amps. The twins are way to clean and barely break up unless cranked, which will make most people go deaf. Most jazz guys I know use solid state amps like the roland jazz chorus, because they dont like the sag. Thats why most country music guys used to play twins. I see alot of indie kids playing twins which doesnt make any sense to me. They are missing out on the whole point of tube amps, which is the tube compression. They just want to be cool lol.

I bought it sight unseen, or played, while completely hammered (Low point of my life), and it wasn't what I expected. I basically called the local music shop and was all "Uhnnn I wanna play jazzy blues, what can I purchase?" My fiancee picked it up and brought it home and there it say for a few years. I also bought a Gibson ES along with it, and again, sat for years. Nice setup and equipment, but just not for me.

My first real rig was this:

peavey-5150ii-amp-review.jpg

Legendary amp. With a boss noise gate it's still the chunkiest, crispiest metal sound I've managed to achieve.
Was broke, had to sell it. Lately I'm giving serious consideration to buying a used one though.

This is what I use now:
E_850_100.jpg

Beast. 100 watts a side. No, I don't need that much power but you never know.

Goes through this:
jdctok3fvzon5wybkkx3.jpg

It's a'ight. Tbh I used the Engl with a couple of other cabinets and preferred the tone over the Peavey. What I do like about Peavey cabs is that they're built like brick shithouses. Maybe I'll gut the whole thing and try some putting some celestions in it. Could be a fun project.

Use this as a preamp:
PodHDProX-large.jpg

Pretty outdated at this point. The versatility of using a multi effects is something I don't really see myself ever coming back from. There are far better units than this on the market these days though, and my next big purchase will be an upgrade.
I was dead set of the Line 6 Helix until I saw that the Fractal FX8 was a little cheaper and actually outperforms the Helix in every comparison I've seen. Now I see that Positive Grid are bringing out some rack mounted processors based on the BIAS plug in, which will be positively delightful. US prices don't look too shabby either. I'll be hanging back for now seeing if any local dealers will get them in and what they'll sell them for.

Marshal 100 watt half stack JCM 800 Channel Switching and reverb.

Back