Your experience with 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu?

The submission ? I just tried the lockdown from half guard while we were sparring and I had success holding the guy in half guard.It felt easier to keep the opponent in my half guard vs regular half guard.I had trouble getting the sweep though,first I let the guy flatten me out and he had cross face,i jerkd him forward with the lockdown and got my undertook but I failed to get the sweep.

Using the lockdown, (or as use east coast Renzo guys call it, the scorpion lock) is an excellent technique from half guard. You have a great way of controlling distance and posture from there and it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get the underhooks

I've trained at 10P gyms when I can for about 2 years, most recently under black belt , Sean Bollinger. My experience has been that most of Eddie's seminars focus on 10P specific moves but the gyms tend to not dwell on them that much and opt for your basic no-gi fundamentals. Lockdown seems universal but Rubber Guard really only works well with certain body types. Honestly, if every class was a Rubber Guard fest, they would loose students pretty fast.

It is a different culture which is fine by me personally but I do hesitate to bring in the kids because of the adult nature. Like any place you go there will good and bad but I have to give props to Sean for being an excellent teacher and ambassador.

What's a typical 10P class structure look like? Start in a circle doing bong hits, then a discussion of chicks you banged since last practice, before moving on to grappling drills? That's my impression from reading Eddie Bravo's books, but it's probably not accurate.

If that was the typical class structure I would join that gym.

What's a typical 10P class structure look like? Start in a circle doing bong hits, then a discussion of chicks you banged since last practice, before moving on to grappling drills? That's my impression from reading Eddie Bravo's books, but it's probably not accurate.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the warm ups. I moved to a different school before the warm ups became mandatory. But I believe it's 10-15 minute warm ups. The warm ups vary. Could be granby rolls one day. Could be rolling kimura to the back. Could be RDLR drills. But these days class starts with warm ups.

LMAO. Typical 10thP class is started by the instructor asking if anyone has missed part of the series he's teaching? If so, he'll partner that person up with a higher belt so they can put in repetitions for that fundamental movement. Then he'll go through the next step of the series. The class repeats for 10-15 minutes per step depending on complexity or whether or not we're getting it right. Then the instructor adds another element, or step to the series. We do that for 10-15 minutes. Then trouble shooting/back up plans for 10-15 minutes. Then situation drilling where we drill the series with resistance.

So for example: Lockdown. We would do lockdown, jaws of life to get the double under hooks. Then lockdown to jaws of life to double unders to whip up. Then lockdown to jaws, to double unders, to whip up, to old school. Then we would do live drills where our partners offer resistance with the goal of getting the old school sweep. Hour class. Than an hour of rolling.

And we focus on the whole series for as long as it takes. So next class it would be, ok, what if he pulls his leg away from the old school? Electric chair. What if they do this? Dogfight. And so by the end of the series, we all have like 100 repetitions of the movement, plus a couple subs and back up plans.

What's crazy is that I actually forgot one of the series I was taught, but I still hit it in rolling just off of muscle memory. Not all 10th Planet coaches are created equal, but I'm lucky that I had a good one.

Last edited:
The submission ? I just tried the lockdown from half guard while we were sparring and I had success holding the guy in half guard.It felt easier to keep the opponent in my half guard vs regular half guard.I had trouble getting the sweep though,first I let the guy flatten me out and he had cross face,i jerkd him forward with the lockdown and got my undertook but I failed to get the sweep.

The submission isn't always there. It's a step in the process. If you can get the tap, take it. But usually against higher belts, their flexibility is good so you have to opt for the sweep. But the whole lockdown, double underhooks, oldschool, electric chair, sweep, control pass, or dogfight to boa sweep....There are a lot of options. You should give them a look. Lockdown is my favorite half guard to use if I'm flattened out.

It's not a miracle. Just like any guard, you have to put in the practice to feel where you're going wrong. Like a big problem a lot of guys have is that they whip the guy up onto themselves. You want to whip up and push them off to the side so you can get onto YOUR side. That's critical. That's what allows you to dig for the foot for old school. That's what allows you to underhook the leg for the electric chair. Gotta get on your side.

Another benefit is that if your opponent isn't familiar, you can actually take their back. So when you whip up, if they don't get their whizzer, just go straight to their back. Whip them hard enough that they base on both hands and you have an easy path to the back.

And if you can't get your double underhooks, there's the "stomp" series that allows you to get into butterfly guard with an over/underhook. And that's money. But I digress. Play with lockdown to oldschool to electric chair. It's a lot of fun.

To be fair, I've seen a couple of 10P guys in the last year or two play RDLR and shin on shin vs. standing. For the longest time, though, many of them seemed to just try to pull half and hope that the guy would drop to his knees.

Eddie admits that he teaches HIS style. But as time goes on, his students (who are also 10th Planet owners and instructors) are becoming black belts and they're teaching him THEIR strengths. 10th planet is very open minded. The end game is to do what works. Right now guys are in love with RDLR. They've watched it work. They've gone to seminars. They've drilled it obsessively. And now RDLR is actually one of the warm ups. So at least once per week all of our guys are working RDLR for a minimum of 10 minutes.

And that's actually because of what you said. With standing passing becoming more prominent than low passing, a lot of guys that would pull half would end up with a guy standing over them. What then? And that's when 10th Planet got hooked on RDLR.

Eddie admits that he teaches HIS style. But as time goes on, his students (who are also 10th Planet owners and instructors) are becoming black belts and they're teaching him THEIR strengths. 10th planet is very open minded. The end game is to do what works. Right now guys are in love with RDLR. They've watched it work. They've gone to seminars. They've drilled it obsessively. And now RDLR is actually one of the warm ups. So at least once per week all of our guys are working RDLR for a minimum of 10 minutes.

And that's actually because of what you said. With standing passing becoming more prominent than low passing, a lot of guys that would pull half would end up with a guy standing over them. What then? And that's when 10th Planet got hooked on RDLR.

Makes perfect sense. It does, however, seem to be a deviation from their old mantra of sticking to 'clinching' guards designed to stifle GNP. (Not to say that RDLR is useless in MMA.)

Makes perfect sense. It does, however, seem to be a deviation from their old mantra of sticking to 'clinching' guards designed to stifle GNP. (Not to say that RDLR is useless in MMA.)

Not a deviation as much as a back up plan. The philosophy is still about clinching. But what happens when you lose the guy, or you get stunned, and you have him standing over you throwing leg kicks and trying to punch? The answer/back up plan is RDLR. It's not a part of the official system. Don't expect a RDLR DVD from Eddie any time soon. But it is an essential piece of the "BJJ for MMA" puzzle. You need an answer for that scenario and RDLR is what our team has agreed upon at the present time.

It would seem I have! Wasn't there some ridiculous named one like, who hit you jitsu at some point?

I never heard that, but it's hard to think of something more ridiculous than Thug jitsu.

Using the lockdown, (or as use east coast Renzo guys call it, the scorpion lock)

Awesome.

That's what my coach calls it; never heard anyone else use that term.

I'm a west coast guy.

Awesome.

That's what my coach calls it; never heard anyone else use that term.

I'm a west coast guy.

I believe judo players call it scorpion lock/scorpion guard. My old coach is a Judo black belt and I think I recall him telling me about it. Something like, "there's really not a whole lot of new stuff in grappling, just new names, and old moves that get rediscovered. Like the lock down is just the scorpion lock in judo." Something like that. It was like 3 years ago so my memory is foggy.

im not a fan of it tbh i think they really lack in certain areas of bjj like hip movement they dont like open guards besides butterfly to get into the legs they dont really pass the guard they give up position i find it funny as eddie claims he does everything in his system to be able to work best for mma

but lately his guys have been catching some subs from rubber guard apparently they have made some good advancements with it and makes me think i might try to study it some i use to hate it but maybe nowadays with guys being so good at defending closed guard that it can be greatly useful at higher levels

Old thread.

10th Planet has been my second favorite BJJ experience. I enjoyed my time with them.

It still bothers me the perception of 10p guys. Having trained with the Oceanside team and the affiliates in San Diego, I think most people dont understand that Geo and his guys, PJ, and Berbrich, they all use fundamentals, drill guard passing extensively, work takedowns weekly, have a plethora of good wrestlers in the system, and are generally normal, tough dudes who train extremely hard. I really wish they got more credit for what they do. Its a great system in San Diego for competitors and hobbyists. You couldnt ask for better teammates; they take the 10p team seriously and a lot of teams or affiliations cant say that.

It still bothers me the perception of 10p guys. Having trained with the Oceanside team and the affiliates in San Diego, I think most people dont understand that Geo and his guys, PJ, and Berbrich, they all use fundamentals, drill guard passing extensively, work takedowns weekly, have a plethora of good wrestlers in the system, and are generally normal, tough dudes who train extremely hard. I really wish they got more credit for what they do. Its a great system in San Diego for competitors and hobbyists. You couldnt ask for better teammates; they take the 10p team seriously and a lot of teams or affiliations cant say that.

You can blame eddies marketing for that.

You can blame eddies marketing for that.

Well to some extent the stereotype is true. My first ever visit to a 10th I smelled weed from the parking lot. Their clientele also seems to skew towards younger people and everything that brings. Maybe not some peoples cup of tea.

Otherwise I enjoyed my visit. PJ was cool. It'a also usually a good sign if they have a healthy female population. Hoping to train with Berbrich in the future if their not too pricey.

Back