Your favorite arcade games

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - the GOAT - would beg my mom to take me to pizza hut to play it

2. Final Fight - remember playing this with TeTe at the bowling alley back in the day

3. Double Dragon - my first favorite worldwide-recognized arcade game. remember traveling to Europe and seeing they had it at a small restaurant and got hooked there

4. Mortal Kombat II - would bike 4 miles to the local arcade just to blow my allowance on it

5. Street Fighter II - would bike 2 miles to Walmart 3 times a week just to watch the intro and play when I had money

Solid list! Throw in X-Men, Street Fighter 3rd Strike and Killer Instinct and that's my childhood arcade career right there.

By far the best arcade beat-em-up.

ddsom.png

latest

tumblr_orch366z041unlm3do1_500.gif

gfs_45443_2_102.jpg

1181242104193.jpg

Spyhunter
Empire Strike Back
APB
Gauntlet
Golden Axe
Ralstan
Stryder
Bad Dudes
Altered Beast

Pretty cool, just wish the controllers would split apart for couch lazyness

Agreed.

But I'm very cautious about the quality of both the hardware and software.

The hardware - Its manufactured in Hong Kong. If one of the buttons stop working after a few days/weeks/months, it makes it completely useless.

The software - The youtube reviews show the menus are not user-friendly, and I bought a moded-XBox back in 2004 and many of the advertised games/emulators didn't work.

And, the price doesn't seem right. $180? For all of that? I'd pay alot more than that for quality hardware/software that does all it is advertising.

For me personally (in no order):
Metal Slug series
Tekken 3
Street Fighter Alpha series
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
House of the Dead series
Time Crisis series
Area 51
TMNT
X-men 4 player
Marvel vs Capcom
Golden Axe
Mortal Kombat 2/3/4

ghosts n goblins - hate it with a passion but also love it cuz its one of my first arcade games i've played and my grandma gave me the quarters to play it.

double dragon- c'mon, just a fantastic game.

fatal fury- too many weekends were spent playing this at the arcade with my cousin, the both of us tag teaming geese howard in his penthouse suite....

street fighter 2 / CE- changed the way i saw gaming, and is the only game i've played consistently over the years and still remain quite good at. the definition of a 10/10 game.

magician lord- best arcade plat-former to me, i just adore the art and the sound of it.

Super off-road with the 3 wheels. Man, good times.

that game was in every pizza parlor i ever went into as a kid. if there was pizza, there was a good chance there was a super off road machine with one of those wheels out of order.

I just realized the new version of SFV came out - I feel so old. All this frame counting and cancels and shit just turned me off to the series. Still bought the original SFV for nostalgia's sake and it's awesome but it got too complicated for me after 3rd Strike, which I still play on Dreamcast every now and again.

I remember when you knew a fatality/babality/friendship in MK you were a God in the arcade. The other kids would watch me play just to see a fatality or whatever and I would do the same with those who knew the ins and outs. No other fighting game ever made me feel like that again. Then games like Guilty Gear came out with their ridiculous move controls (and INCREDIBLE soundtrack) and I knew I'd never be "good" at fighting games again.

I remember back in high school we had to write where we'd be in 10 years and I got all detailed and said "Mortal Kombat 10 is out". Well it took about an extra ten years but I never imagined it would be as good as MKX was.

Mortal Kombat has still kept it simple and interesting for me, but I still suck at it. it's still great to see how far those games have come.

Last edited:
You should have gotten a paper route on the way.
I was 14 when MKII dropped and was bussing tables at a Chinese restaurant. The mall didn't open until 9 so an early-ass paper route wouldn't have gotten me anywhere.

I just realized the new version of SFV came out - I feel so old. All this frame counting and cancels and shit just turned me off to the series. Still bought the original SFV for nostalgia's sake and it's awesome but it got too complicated for me after 3rd Strike, which I still play on Dreamcast every now and again.

I remember when you knew a fatality/babality/friendship in MK you were a God in the arcade. The other kids would watch me play just to see a fatality or whatever and I would do the same with those who knew the ins and outs. No other fighting game ever made me feel like that again. Then games like Guilty Gear came out with their ridiculous move controls (and INCREDIBLE soundtrack) and I knew I'd never be "good" at fighting games again.

I remember back in high school we had to write where we'd be in 10 years and I got all detailed and said "Mortal Kombat 10 is out". Well it took about an extra ten years but I never imagined it would be as good as MKX was.

Mortal Kombat has still kept it simple and interesting for me, but I still suck at it. it's still great to see how far those games have come.

Fighting games are easier now than before. Input Leniency is a thing.

SF3B.jpg

Mortal Kombat doesn't even use diagonals anymore, lol.

Fighting games are easier now than before. Input Leniency is a thing.

SF3B.jpg

Mortal Kombat doesn't even use diagonals anymore, lol.
I get what you're saying but it's become such a science now that the fun took a hit for me. Anyone can do a shinku hadoken but when you're online with people who study every idiosyncracy its a losing battle.

I get what you're saying but it's become such a science now that the fun took a hit for me. Anyone can do a shinku hadoken but when you're online with people who study every idiosyncracy its a losing battle.

They should be able to because it's a lot more forgiving now. I used to have a problem with Hakan in SSF4 because he was doing stuff I wasn't even trying to do until I learned that the game thinks I'm doing something else because of the easier inputs.

Even Tekken is a bit easier now, with the throw escapes anyway.

I understand your point as well. The new mechanics may seem like a lot, but it's not bad. It takes practice like in the past and there's no silly shit like this anymore:

+ +

Yes, that used to be a move.

good stuff up in here
lotsa nostalgia

1. killer instinct
2. tekken 3,4, etc
3. track and field
4. time crisis, area 51, house of the dead, virtua cop, police trainer
5. simpsons game

Some great mentions. I'd add off-road and the golden axe series.

Getting in this thing and having it move around while you blasted shit was so fun:

1181241628106.jpg

By the way, does anyone remember this game. I remember dumping like $2.50 into it in the early Nineties and dying in under a minute:

9df32d59e9b71371cf2b7dbd2290303c.jpg

i feel the same way. it feels like today's games are made with a different mindset, or maybe i'm just not the spring chicken i used to be, nevertheless i can spend an afternoon playing sf2 or sf3 and not even bat an eye. sf4 and 5 just don't do it for me, the physics changed, the timing is off and everything feels "odd". it just isn't for me.

mortal kombat is a little better for me as it's always had a certain rhythm to it that i think the devs did a good job of replicating in the latest releases, i still suck at it though.

Last edited:
Back