Your favorite movie of 2016

Pick your favorite movie of 2016!

• Total voters
G

Guestx

1477726664.jpg

Moonlight (<-- whoops, meant to put this in the poll, but realized I missed it after the poll was published)
A Cure for Wellness
Moana
Passengers
X-Men: Apocalypse
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Magnificent Seven
War Dogs
Sausage Party
Nocturnal Animals
The Secret Life of Pets
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
The Birth of a Nation
Me Before You
The Girl on the Train
The Conjuring 2
Gold
Why Him?
Colossal
Jason Bourne
The Legend of Tarzan
The Nice Guys
Captain Fantastic
Deepwater Horizon
Don't Breathe
Allied
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Shallows
The Girl with All the Gifts
The Edge of Seventeen
Live by Night
The Jungle Book
Collateral Beauty
13 Hours
The Neon Demon
Lights Out
Fences
The Accountant
Finding Dory
Free Fire
The BFG
Central Intelligence
The Handmaiden
Snowden
Kubo and the Two Strings
Train to Busan
A Monster Calls
Jackie
Free State of Jones
Cafe Society
Hail Caesar!
American Honey
Elle
20th Century Women
Loving
Sing Street
Suicide Squad

@Agent Mulder's Hair

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a shit year it was.

La La Land was absolutely the worst movie I saw last year.

Rogue One for me, reminded me of the old school Star Wars pen and paper role playing games and Donnie Yen was cool. Also Jungle Book was surprisingly good. Everything else released this year that I've seen was pretty bad. Remarkable how shitty the whole movie industry has gotten.

Gotta go with what might be the most unsung film of the year:

poster.jpg

The Conjuring 2
A Cure for Wellness
The Shallows

You missed some good ones.

How did you just not watch any new movies in 2016?
Something has happened to me where I only watch movies that I've watched a million times before and I know I will like.

Like, I've watched Brendan Fraser's "The Mummy" ten times over the last two years (even before the Cruise movie became a thing).

I've become a closed-minded movie bigot. :(

1477726664.jpg

A Cure for Wellness
Moana
Passengers
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Magnificent Seven
War Dogs
Sausage Party
Nocturnal Animals
The Secret Life of Pets
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
The Birth of a Nation
Me Before You
The Girl on the Train
The Conjuring 2
Gold
Why Him?
Colossal
Jason Bourne
The Legend of Tarzan
The Nice Guys
Captain Fantastic
Deepwater Horizon
Don't Breathe
Allied
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Shallows
The Girl with All the Gifts
The Edge of Seventeen
Live by Night
The Jungle Book
Collateral Beauty
13 Hours
The Neon Demon
Lights Out
Fences
The Accountant
Finding Dory
Free Fire
The BFG
Central Intelligence
The Handmaiden
Snowden
Kubo and the Two Strings
Train to Busan
A Monster Calls
Jackie
Free State of Jones
Cafe Society
Hail Caesar!
American Honey
Elle
20th Century Women
Loving
Sing Street
Suicide Squad

@Agent Mulder's Hair

Considering which movies made the poll, there are some weird choices relegated to the also ran list.

Nocturnal Animals, Suicide Squad, 13 Hours and Free State of Jones all deserve to be on the poll imo.

Wasn't Suicide Squad one of the highest grossing movies of the year?

Something has happened to me where I only watch movies that I've watched a million times before and I know I will like.

Like, I watched Brendan Fraser's "The Mummy" like ten times over the last two years (even before the Cruise movie became a thing).

I've become a closed-minded movie bigot. :(

Ha. You know, I've had periods like that. And The Mummy is an EXCELLENT film so I feel you on that.

But seriously, you need to get on some of these films. What kind of movies do you usually get into?

Considering which movies made the poll, there are some weird choices relegated to the also ran list.

Nocturnal Animals, Suicide Squad, 13 Hours and Free State of Jones all deserve to be on the poll imo.

Wasn't Suicide Squad one of the highest grossing movies of the year?

I'd have put 13 Hours on there if I were just picking my own favorites. But when I make these polls, I don't just try to pick the best movies, I also take into account buzz/momentum/popularity and critical response.

As for Suicide Squad, c'mon bro.

I'd have put 13 Hours on there if I were just picking my own favorites. But when I make these polls, I don't just try to pick the best movies, I also take into account buzz/momentum/popularity and critical response.

As for Suicide Squad, c'mon bro.

I saw that with my woman and we both loved it. We aren't comic book nerds though so we take movies like that as seriously as they should be taken. That is to say, not at all. It was a fun popcorn movie with a girl with a nice pair of tits and a decent CGI'd ass.

And again, didn't it gross like half a billion dollars?

Edit:. My mistake, it grossed 2/3's of a billion. That deserves to be on the list bro. $750,000,000.00...

I saw that with my woman and we both loved it. We aren't comic book nerds though so we take movies like that as seriously as they should be taken. That is to say, not at all. It was a fun popcorn movie with a girl with a nice pair of tits and a decent CGI'd ass.

And again, didn't it gross like half a billion dollars?

It made a lot of money but also almost no one seemed to actually like it.

In any case, when someone says a movie should've made the list I always ask what movies you would toss out for that particular film.

So what movies would you get rid of for Suicide Squad?

Ha. You know, I've had periods like that. And The Mummy is an EXCELLENT film so I feel you on that.

But seriously, you need to get on some of these films. What kind of movies do you usually get into?
I gotta watch a bunch of these, but SULLY just got on (our version of HBO Go), and I tend to like Hanks films (especially those involving airports; just watched THE TERMINAL a couple weeks ago, loosely based on this amazing story: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehran_Karimi_Nasseri).

It made a lot of money but also almost no one seemed to actually like it.

In any case, when someone says a movie should've made the list I always ask what movies you would toss out for that particular film.

So what movies would you get rid of for Suicide Squad?

Easy. Rogue One. Complete piece of shit movie with no redeeming qualities.

I got a watch a bunch of these, but SULLY just got on (our version of HBO Go), and I tend to like Hanks films (just watched THE TERMINAL a couple weeks ago, loosely based on this amazing story: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehran_Karimi_Nasseri).

My personal favorites from this year would be:

Patriots Day
Hell or High Water
10 Cloverfield Lane
Sully
Split
Hidden Figures
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
13 Hours
War Dogs
Captain Fantastic
Allied
Snowden

I'd recommend them all.

Didn't watch a whole lot from 2016, at least when it comes to something I liked. Guess I'll have to go with Deadpool.

Easy. Rogue One. Complete piece of shit movie with no redeeming qualities.

I think I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I enjoyed Rogue One. I didn't think it was a GREAT movie, but I certainly thought it was a good one. 7.5/10, I'd say. And since you were mentioning box office earlier, I do have to point out that it made over a BILLION dollars.

"Complete piece of shit movie with no redeeming qualities" seems . . . hyperbolic to say the least.

Back