Your favorite movie of 2016

Pick your favorite movie of 2016!

• Total voters
La La Land is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was made specifically for homosexuals and old people. @Caveat @BisexualMMA

You know Cint, you keep repeating this, but you've never actually explained--you know, offered specific reasons--for why you don't like the movie.

Having seen Silence since this thread opened, I would now easily have voted for that movie. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Having seen Silence since this thread opened, I would now easily have voted for that movie. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Really? Doesn't strike me as your kind of film for some reason.

Doesn't strike me as your kind of film for some reason.

You say that way to often. :cool:

It's freaking Scorsese!

I actually considered doing a Best Religious/Christian films theme for the movie club in the past. But it's one of those lists that get overrided because I don't want to re-watch stuff.

If actually considered doing a Best Religious/Christian films theme for the movie club in the past.

You've never seemed to have much interest in, or respect for, religion or Christianity. So that surprises me.

But it's one of those lists that get overrided because I don't want to re-watch stuff.

Do you not re-watch films very often?

You've never seemed to have much interest in, or respect for, religion or Christianity. So that surprises me.

I did say that Stalker was my favorite movie of all time, you know? You can't get much more religious than Tarkovsky.

As for interest in religion -- my interest in religion is extreme. I've studied it extensively. Hell I'm the sort of guy that's studied the works of theologians like Thomas Aquinas or John of Damascus (just to limit myself to Christian authors).

As for respect for religion. I am 100% a materialist. I don't believe in anything metaphysical, whatever one would label it as religious or not. So while I may be staunchly disbelieving in it, I can't say that I've ever gone out of my way to overtly disrespect it. Especially considering the standards of offence for this website.

Do you not re-watch films very often?

Nope, especially not when I want to really invest in the film. There are exceptions, of course, especially if I feel like I've missed something. And there are those films that I do enjot watching over-and-over again. But genreally, no. Especially not for a movie club.

I did say that Stalker was my favorite movie of all time, you know? You can't get much more religious than Tarkovsky.

As for interest in religion -- my interest in religion is extreme. I've studied it extensively. Hell I'm the sort of guy that's studied the works of theologians like Thomas Aquinas or John of Damascus (just to limit myself to Christian authors).

As for respect for religion. I am 100% a materialist. I don't believe in anything metaphysical, whatever one would label it as religious or not. So while I may be staunchly disbelieving in it, I can't say that I've ever gone out of my way to overtly disrespect it. Especially considering the standards of offence for this website.

I'm not sure I'd want to invest the time into studying religion and religious thought if I was 100% convinced it was not true.

Nope, especially not when I want to really invest in the film. There are exceptions, of course, especially if I feel like I've missed something. And there are those films that I do enjot watching over-and-over again. But genreally, no. Especially not for a movie club.

Interesting. A fair amount of my movie rewatching is revisiting stuff I've already seen.

If something effected me a certain way at one time then I often want to relive that experience.

I've probably seen Spring Breakers six times now.

I'm not sure I'd want to invest the time into studying religion and religious thought if I was 100% convinced it was not true.

Well there are several reasons.

* If religion isn't real -- and thus a product of the human psyche -- then it tells us an immense amount about mankind, human practice, and the human condition.

* You learn an immense amount about history and the evolution-of-human-thought. For example, the transition from Orthopraxy to Orthodoxy within religion(s) is one of the most fascinating subjects in all of history for me (religious or otherwise). Or the invention of the metaphysical.

* It's just interesting and thought-provoking to study the belief systems of other people. Plus, one should study earnestly, ie: approach it as if they might be right.

* The search for truth is always fascinating.

Plus whatever bullshit reasons I can't articulate at this present moment.

If something effected me a certain way at one time then I often want to relive that experience.

I prefeer exploring to re-living.

I prefer exploring to re-living.
giphy.gif

You know Cint, you keep repeating this, but you've never actually explained--you know, offered specific reasons--for why you don't like the movie.

Okay I'll keep this short. First and foremost when Gosling signed on to do the film I was like WTF. He's not cut out doing romantic comedies. His bread and butter is dramatic roles like Drive and Only God Forgives. And my biggest issue is with Emma Stone. She can't act.

A few things:
Contemporary philosophy is so rooted theological categories that it's impossible to bracket the study of religion.
I'd assert that taking seriously the possibility of god requires investigation because it implicates every facet of human existence.
Few scholars are 100% convinced. Themes of doubt are huge in contemporary theological circles. Also, not all scholars of religion are religious themselves. Religious studies, philosophy of religion, and even biblical studies don't require any kind of theological commitment.
Usually it comes down to the fact that man is a religious animal. The ultimate existential questions have religious implications, and thus, folks tackle those questions no matter where their faith lies. In the works I inhabit, the believers and non believers are reading the same authors. An example of this is Martin Heidegger, who will receive a lot of attention in my dissertation. He's famous as a philosopher who didn't do much proper theology, and yet, in his early career Luther and Augustine are essential to his task. And then later he seeks a kind of transcendence within the material, but never names who that god is.
You can sort of say that the western mind is haunted by god.

Anyway, I love rewatching movies

A few things:
Contemporary philosophy is so rooted theological categories that it's impossible to bracket the study of religion.
I'd assert that taking seriously the possibility of god requires investigation because it implicates every facet of human existence.
Few scholars are 100% convinced. Themes of doubt are huge in contemporary theological circles. Also, not all scholars of religion are religious themselves. Religious studies, philosophy of religion, and even biblical studies don't require any kind of theological commitment.
Usually it comes down to the fact that man is a religious animal. The ultimate existential questions have religious implications, and thus, folks tackle those questions no matter where their faith lies. In the works I inhabit, the believers and non believers are reading the same authors. An example of this is Martin Heidegger, who will receive a lot of attention in my dissertation. He's famous as a philosopher who didn't do much proper theology, and yet, in his early career Luther and Augustine are essential to his task. And then later he seeks a kind of transcendence within the material, but never names who that god is.
You can sort of say that the western mind is haunted by god.

Anyway, I love rewatching movies

Sure, I can understand all that. I am only saying that for me personally, I feel like I would only spend serious time investigating the works of religious authors and their thoughts if I was at least open to the possibility that they could be right. And in fact, I HAVE spent time investigating these things--as we've discussed a bit--and the reason is because I think their could be SOMETHING to it (something, that is, beyond merely the thoughts of clever men).

But if I was 100% convinced that we live in an atheistic universe, then no, I would not spend any time working my way through religious peoples' idea because there are only so many hours in a day and I'd prefer to invest that time into something that would bear more fruit. That is, something that would have more practical significance for my life.

I can appreciate that. If I was certain there was no god I'd probably keep doing philosophy in order to make sense of meaning without transcendence.

Sure, I can understand all that. I am only saying that for me personally, I feel like I would only spend serious time investigating the works of religious authors and their thoughts if I was at least open to the possibility that they could be right. And in fact, I HAVE spent time investigating these things--as we've discussed a bit--and the reason is because I think their could be SOMETHING to it (something, that is, beyond merely the thoughts of clever men).

But if I was 100% convinced that we live in an atheistic universe, then no, I would not spend any time working my way through religious peoples' idea because there are only so many hours in a day and I'd prefer to invest that time into something that would bear more fruit. That is, something that would have more practical significance for my life.

I can appreciate that. If I was certain there was no god I'd probably keep doing philosophy in order to make sense of meaning without transcendence.

I think that if there is no spiritual reality, and that we are the result of nothing more than mere physical forces, and if there is no afterlife but we simply are born, live and then return to the earth, then finding any kind of real meaning would a task indeed.

I think that if that is the reality we live in, then the extent of the meaning that can be found is a logical path of reasoning that says we might as well enjoy life as much as we can and do a little something that will make the world a better place for the next generation. I can't think of what else there might be to live for.

I agree. And that's my concern, lol. If there is no intrisic, ontological meaning, then it's really just Camus' Myth if Sisyphus. Gotta fall in love with your rock

I think that if there is no spiritual reality, and that we are the result of nothing more than mere physical forces, and if there is no afterlife but we simply are born, live and then return to the earth, then finding any kind of real meaning would a task indeed.

I think that if that is the reality we live in, then the extent of the meaning that can be found is a logical path of reasoning that says we might as well enjoy life as much as we can and do a little something that will make the world a better place for the next generation. I can't think of what else there might be to live for.

So you don't like to rewatch movies either?
I like rewatching movies, sure, but I would always prefer to watch one I haven't seen. That's what I always want to get out of the club - expanding my horizons. I never would have seen unusual ones like Thirst or Madeo were it not for the club. I mean, I was introduced to Manborg thanks to the club, and that alone made it all worth it. It's why I always vote for the movie I haven't seen each week, unless I've seen them all, then I go for the one that I feel will bring the best discussion.

Back