Your go to for the Front Headlock

The gator roll/rolling anaconda choke works reliably from that position in both submission grappling and wrestling. In no-gi grappling you get a very tight submission or at the very least a good grip to control from. In wrestling, you get a pin or at the very least a good grip to control from. I had less than a month of wrestling experience and I was still able to hit it on varsity wrestlers when they shot in for my legs and I was able to defend. Surprised I don't see more people using it based on its effectiveness.

Wonder if we like the same move? So if my right arm is threaded from behind the shoulder popping out the neck I like to vice grip and crank down and then when they pop back up slide all the way onto my right hip and walk them down to finish. Or you can even hop over and catch it on the far side. Is that what you do too? I thought you mean you try to hold them on their side and lock the darce from the top.

Basically I like to do this below but I like to at least try to dump them over first and then catch it as they pop up.

I dont sit. I punch my arm through as they are popping up. One thing about my game, is I rarely give up position to hunt for submissions. At least me personally, when someone sits or rolls into D'arces, I can almost always stop them on their back, blow out their arms, then get the sweep.

I dont sit. I punch my arm through as they are popping up. One thing about my game, is I rarely give up position to hunt for submissions. At least me personally, when someone sits or rolls into D'arces, I can almost always stop them on their back, blow out their arms, then get the sweep.
I have pretty good results just grabbing a double leg and doing a "roll up" (any better name for this, Holt?) type finish where you partially back arch.

The gator roll/rolling anaconda choke works reliably from that position in both submission grappling and wrestling. In no-gi grappling you get a very tight submission or at the very least a good grip to control from. In wrestling, you get a pin or at the very least a good grip to control from. I had less than a month of wrestling experience and I was still able to hit it on varsity wrestlers when they shot in for my legs and I was able to defend. Surprised I don't see more people using it based on its effectiveness.

certain things work better at lower levels for instance americanas are the magic sub for white belts i think 70% of subs happen by americana at 200 pounds and above soon as guy gets side control or mount thats it

When on top: Snap down and take the back I guess
When on bottom: Fight hands and stand up

Looking to see how some wrestlers play this position from both top and bottom

On top, I like to roll under for the marce, but I start with a gable grip, gator roll, then finish a proper darce from the top.

On bottom

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u7.png

But seriously I just duck out. Not sure why I hate the duck out. I feel like it expends so much energy. So usually I stall. Boooooooo. LOL. I just hope the guy lets go and moves to something else so I can counter. Because in front headlock bottom, all I got is that damn duck out.

To start with, if you want a strong front headlock attack of any sort, it's important to be able to dominant the position in the first place; be able to put him down to all fours, and keep him down.

Last edited:

This is exactly what happened to me last week. The marce angle is normally pretty good from front headlock but I don't like sliding and giving up position to get it. The one I did last week I got from the bottom of side control and the guy just hung out on top and chilled. Very hard to dump the guy over from this position.

On another note, I am having a very difficult time getting the sucker drag to work. I feel very vulnerable committing my arms to the drag. It seems that the head side arm has to be deep for this to work best, like it has to get worse before it can get better.

On another note, I am having a very difficult time getting the sucker drag to work. I feel very vulnerable committing my arms to the drag. It seems that the head side arm has to be deep for this to work best, like it has to get worse before it can get better.
Actually if you can believe it or not, the deeper it goes if your arm is in, its better. The absolute worst spot you can get is if they get the Glover style short guillotine, where they have you guillotined but their elbow is so high you cant reach it. Lucky, for any kind of guillotine, they have to sit to their ass or pull guard. You can time that. If their headside arm is deep from front headlock, you really are in no danger of any kind of strangle except an anaconda. Once you know that, you just defend enough to sucker drag unless you fuck up and give an opening for the anaconda, then you deal with that. Finishing with the anaconda is really hard.

When on top: Snap down and take the back I guess
When on bottom: Fight hands and stand up

Looking to see how some wrestlers play this position from both top and bottom

From a jiujitsu (japanese) perspective i like to

Attacks :
pull my opponent down into turtle position ( all fours) and spin to get my hooks in for back control

Transition into a guillotine choke from standing or all fours position, or annaconda choke if they drop down for a shot also darce is available

Defense: i like to do like wrestling style switch where i fight hands tuck my chin down and reach one arm across my opponets hip, right arm to left side hip and sit/scoop to my opponents backside following the hip im holding with my right ...usually results in me taking my opponents back in a standing or kneeling position

Fight hands and break the grip while forcing my head up..once broken i look to get under hooks or body control of some sort

Sometimes if my opponent is just resting in this position or isnt really threatening with anything i will reach up for my opponents head with one arm while fighting grip with the other and my chin tucked..the goal being to wrap my own arm around my opponents head like a guillotine and twist to kind of crank or reap my opponent into letting go..it works best from a guillotine grip by my opponent where he is leaning closer down over my back

On top: Get heavy on the neck, shooting guillotines with a chin strap grip is my go to. If that isn't going anywhere, shoot for a darce grip and darce or back based on their reaction.

On bottom: Fight the hands at all costs, sit to half if I can.

You dont see it because its an illegal move.

You dont see it because its an illegal move.
I had a kid win a dual for us with an anaconda roll for 2, because the ref was aaaawwwfuuulll. So bad the other coach wasn’t even mad because the entire dual was full of awful calls. How was Cali for quality ref Numbers?

I only saw one other person say it, but on bottom I start to sit out, and as soon as I feel any reaction I sit to half guard. Learned it from Marcelo's book and still works.

On top, in no gi, I stall until I either go for a crappy guillotine or spin to the back or truck entry. In gi, I fish until I get a collar grip, the drag and rolling bow and arrow.

I had a kid win a dual for us with an anaconda roll for 2, because the ref was aaaawwwfuuulll. So bad the other coach wasn’t even mad because the entire dual was full of awful calls. How was Cali for quality ref Numbers?
San Diego isnt the greatest but there are some quality guys who could ref NCAA and be fine. There are also guys who a couple chirps and some aggression and they will throw the rule book out the window, or they over react and I get carded during a JV match for a single comment. Oregon and Colorado have far better refs.

On top: Get heavy on the neck, shooting guillotines with a chin strap grip is my go to. If that isn't going anywhere, shoot for a darce grip and darce or back based on their reaction.

On bottom: Fight the hands at all costs, sit to half if I can.
Saw this series yesterday on IG and thought of ya

Imho the front headlock is probably the 2/3 best offensive position in no gi. So many attacks from there.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the marce or the farce. Marce is alright when you have a darce in guard and get rolled.

Darce or back is more going for that bump at the start and if they brace/lift their neck to defend, circling to their back and going for an immediate RNC.

Back