Your Karate is shameful! (Lifting & Fighting log)

Wednesday 7/9

Power Cleans - 45x5, 95x3, 135x2, 155x1, 175x1, 185x1, 185x1, 195x1, 200x1, 200x1

Floor Wipers - 135x5
supersetted with BW Flags x5

Did that circuit 3x with about 1 minute rest.

First time playing around with floor wipers, they're fun and deceptively hard. First time doing Power Cleans in a long time as well, so my weights started conservatively. Once I got close to 200 I knew I had to go for it, it was an SOB but I got it. Then I had to do it again just to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Quite pleased with that work. However, I skipped skillwork because my mom and sis were in town...I could have fit it in, but I just used that as an excuse.

Thursday 7/10

Half of Work Capacity 101 (only did 10 minutes), BARELY missed out on getting 4 completed (had just finished the burpees when the timer went off).

Did half the workout because I'm giving this Intermittent Fasting fad a try. This workout was fasted, so I didn't want to kill myself in case I couldn't recover for skillwork in the evening. I've got an hour and a half left until my eating window, but I feel just fine surprisingly. Might be the massive amounts of tea I've been drinking...

Friday 7/11

AM
1.8 mile run

PM
2m Skipping
2x2m Shadowboxing
30m combo work on bag (chaining 3-4 punches with a kick)

My training continues to suffer at my own hands, woo hoo!

Sunday 7/13

BB Bench- 135x3, 185x2, 195x3, 200x3, 205x3

Inc DB Bench - 70x6, 80x6, 80x6

Band Upright Rows - Mediumx15, Mediumx15, Mediumx15

BOR - 135x10, 145x10, 150x10, 150x10

Core:
Side Bends (80lb)x5/side
Sprinters x10
Hip Thrusts x10
Rest 30sec

x4

----

Got my CPR/AED/First Aid cert yesterday. So, uh, hurray. Also I've gone back to my regular lifting ways...I've been jumping around a lot lately on routines, no wonder my progress sucks. Time to stick to something and grind through it for a couple months.

I'm also realizing that slacking on my skillwork has hurt my conditioning. Even though I've kept up with my AM conditioning fairly well, my sparring/bagwork/pads conditioning has gone to shit.

So I'm just gonna grit my teeth and force my way through it, like I should've been doing all along.

Nice work Jake. What is this intermittent fasting idea?

Nice work Jake. What is this intermittent fasting idea?

Thanks!

It's something that's been popular lately, I've found it is hard to fit in with 2-a-days just through experimentation (and I even half-assed my work those days...) but I kind of like it on days when I only have one workout to do.

How To: Intermittent Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

Basically, it's fasting on certain days or for certain times of day. I feel a hell of a lot better on Berardi-style eating (every 2-3 hours), but on days when I have to teach back-to-back classes in the evening or have an all-day event, I like fasting more than eating at poorly spaced intervals (breakfast and a late lunch, for example. I feel better powering through to the late lunch and continuing from there).

Just toying with the idea, because so many folks in D&S have done their own experimenting, I didn't want to get left out.

Did you put your height and weight in here somewhere that I've missed it?

Monday 7/14

AM:

1 suicide (25m, 50m, 75m, 100m)
Rest until HR is recovered
3x100m wind sprints
Rest until HR is recovered
2x100m wind sprints

2xvomit

I went out to the closest soccer field listed by the city rec department, but turns out it was not regulation size, was unmarked, and was in general pretty shitty shape. So I adlibbed this sprint workout. I hate sprinting but damn do my lungs hurt.

----
PM:

2x3m Skipping
2x3m Shadowboxing
3x3m Heavy Bag
2x3m Double-End Bag

Felt like 9 was a nice even(odd) number to go with for rounds tonight. Ever since Thursday I have felt really good, real positive and in the zone. That was the day I decided to stop pussy around and drive through all of my workouts - I've been reading Amazon.com: Unleash the Warrior Within: Develop the Focus, Discipline, Confidence, and Courage You Need to Achieve Unlimited Goals: Richard Machowicz: Books
which while being a bit corny at parts has really helped me man up and reframe my perspective. I'm sure people at the gym think I'm nuts when I smile in exhaustion and say "Ain't dead, can't quit" but I have found if I self-talk enough positive stuff, I start to believe it. And it gets reflected in my work ethic. Good book if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff.

After my first round of shadowboxing someone came in and asked about training fees so I took about 2 minutes off there to talk and set her up for a free class....focused my heavy bag work like this: One round of individual power shots while staying mobile inbetween, one round of alternating combos (1-2 followed by 1-kick, 1-2-3/1-2-kick...you get the idea), and one round of free-fighting.

I love the double end bag for my boxing, I think it helps a lot especially with my head movement - one problem though is that I can't really find a good way to work kicks in except for little snapping round kicks. Anybody got any ideas on how to use that bag with kicks? Input appreciated!

Okay, off to clean the gym...
Did you put your height and weight in here somewhere that I've missed it?

It's in the first post, but sorta buried. 6'1, sitting around 190 at the moment.

Tuesday 7/15

AM:

30sec Shadowboxing
30 sec Burpees
x3
Rest 1m

Repeat for 3 rounds

PM:

6x3m Rounds, alternating between thai pads and heavy bag (so 3 of each).

Wednesday 7/16

AM:

BW Dips - x16, x15, x16

DB Skull Crusher - 70x8, 80x6, 80x7

Towel Chins - BWx8, BWx8, BWx8, BWx8

BB Shrugs - 225x10, 225x10, 225x10

Hammer Curls - 40x10, 40x10, 40x10

Core Circuit:

Ab Wheel Rollout x5
Russian Twist x8/side
Knee-hugs x15

Repeated 3x

---

PM:

2m Shadowboxing
3x5m Heavybag
Switch Kicks - pyramid to 10, and back down to 1

Thursday 7/17

AM:

Did 10m of sledgehammer work. 5 left handed, 5 right, 5 overhead. Got 205 swings in and my right hand is now torn to hell. Stupid of me, should've worn gloves.

PM:

Did 10 minutes of thai pad work, then 4x2m technique sparring.

We had a cable TV show doing some filming during one of our classes this evening. I can't really say which network, or which show, but it was more annoying than 'cool'. All the students were nervous because of the filming, and they were having lots of problems fixing their technique and getting tired early. More headache than it was worth...

Friday 7/18

AM

Zercher DL - 45x5, 135x1, 185x1, 225x1, 225x1, 225x1

BB Reverse Lunge - 95x5, 135x5, 135x5

Pistols - BWx3, BWx3, BWx3

High Rep Chinnies - 50, 50, 50

I had a nice lower body workout planned, but involved a lot of unilateral work while holding DBs...and heavy deadlifting. But since yesterday's sledge work, my hands both have huge ripped blisters on them that don't allow me to grip anything.

So I threw this together on the fly. Zerchers I haven't tried in a while, was afraid to rep them so I stuck to singles. Have never done reverse lunges before, but they're ok I guess. Had trouble with my depth so I just focused on that.

volume was pretty low today. I feel lame, but eh...whatever.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm still training. I've got a potential fight coming up on the 13th of September, so about 6 weeks out. Thai rules (sans elbows).

So I'm going to stop e-logging with the thought that somehow I might be important enough to google.

Though I doubt it.

But if you did just google me and find this, my training routine for the next 6 weeks is as follows:

1 hour of bicep curlz (21's)
5 mins jogging (to work legs and cardio)
stretch

Thanks! See ya'll on the 14th :)

You can ask a moderator to "hide" your log temporarily if you're worried about 'net snoops and an upcoming fight. Finnegan and Bubble Boy have both done that for recent fights; quite possibly some other fighters around here that I'm forgetting.

So then, not Thai rules....

Well, I have no idea what you call it. Just a way to get my point across :icon_conf

You can ask a moderator to "hide" your log temporarily if you're worried about 'net snoops and an upcoming fight. Finnegan and Bubble Boy have both done that for recent fights; quite possibly some other fighters around here that I'm forgetting.

Not so worried about my previous training - I do things a lot different in the lead-up to a fight. I just don't want to post about what specific parts of my game I'm working on or how I'm totally ignoring leg kicks and focusing on throwing a spinning heel kick to the head whoops

Back