Your opinion on purchasing guns from a gun show...

Soma

Breathe the body deep
@Brown
Reaction score
I'd like to purchase a gun for home. In the unlikely event that someone breaks in, I'd like to be prepared. I've gone shooting at a few ranges before. Shot a 9mm glock, a .45, and a couple rifles but never owned a gun. I'm thinking about going to an upcoming gun show. I want to feel the difference between different types of 9mm's and also some shotguns.

Anything I should look for/beware of when purchasing a gun from a show? Better to purchase from a gun store rather than a show?

Oh yeah, something that's been on my mind...what do you guys who have families do with your guns? I don't have kids right now so no problem keeping an empty gun near my bed with a loaded clip next to it. But that doesn't seem the wisest choice if I had kids. But keeping it locked in a safe would make it hard to access in a time of need. What do you do?

You could get something like a GunVault:

Mini Gun Safe | GunVault

Gun shows are hit and miss. I've noticed over the years here in Phoenix that the gun show either has a lot of crap or guns that are overpriced. I prefer buying from people I know or from a local gun store.

Getting a gun at a gun show is usually a no worries situation. I've never personally went to one where they had inferior products or anything like that so it's really just a matter of finding what you want at a price you're willing to pay. Just do a visual inspection as you're feeling it out and you can generally tell if it's in good condition. They don't do backround checks at gun shows or anything like that, but you do need to get your gun registered asap and apply for your permit if you plan on carrying it with you. You mentioned wanting to look at getting a 9mm so I'll just tell you not to get a Highpoint. They're really cheap so a lot of people tend to get them as a first handgun, but they're unreliable and and just poorly made in my opinion. As far as what I do with mine to keep it out of my little one's reach, I keep it in a drawer in the closet that has a child-proof latch and is up way too high for her to get to it. Plus she's never even seen it so she doesn't have any reason to look for it.

Gun shows are a great opportunity test out how a gun feels in your hand, which probably the most important factor when picking a handgun. If it feels good in your hands, you are going to shoot better period. When you got to the show pick up a gun you may like, close your eyes and try to aim with it. This is a good indicator if the gun has the right fit. I think a 9mm is a good first handgun because the ammo is a great deal cheaper than .45 and any defensive load will have more than adequate power to take out an assailant. What gun you choose is al personal preference though. If you feel more comfortable shooting .45 then by all means buy a .45.

The gun shows i've been to around my area were pretty large. Depending on the vendor the prices will vary. You're more than likely going to find just as good of a deal or better deal at gunbroker.com or at bud's gun shop.

It's worth checking out, but the deals often aren't as good as you might expect. Like the other guy said, you'd probably be better off going online or waiting for the local hunting outfitters' store to have a sale.

Edit: just saw your SF location. Might wanna check this out: Private Firearms Sales - Calguns.net

Keep it in an electronic safe.

They're quick and easy to open, just make sure to keep fresh batteries in it.

I haven't had much luck getting great bargains at gun shows. Ammunition, though, is another matter entirely.

Oh yeah, something that's been on my mind...what do you guys who have families do with your guns? I don't have kids right now so no problem keeping an empty gun near my bed with a loaded clip next to it. But that doesn't seem the wisest choice if I had kids. But keeping it locked in a safe would make it hard to access in a time of need. What do you do?

The Piece Keeper, LLC - Home

gun_front_labeled_black_v2.jpg

I haven't had much luck getting great bargains at gun shows. Ammunition, though, is another matter entirely.

This. Although I have occasionally seen some good deals, I either didn't have the cash or it was a gun I didn't want at the time.

Gunshows are meh... A place to tempt you into uneducated and rushed impulse buys. I don't go to them anymore.

I suggest you just do some research. Check out your local gun stores, then go to a show and compare prices and products. Sometimes you can haggle with the sellers too for a lower price at the shows. I've bought a couple rifles and a Glock at shows before.

As far as the other question, using velcro and your imagination, you can find all sorts of cool ways to hide you pistol in secret but accessible places. If you don't have kids, or no kids visit you, then i wouldn't worry about where you stash it. If you do ever have kids then the answer is EDUCATION. I'm a father of two teenagers. They were raised around guns and knew that they were not to be played with. I could literally leave a loaded pistol on the floor in their room and they would avoid it like the plague, (i tried this with unloaded ones to see how they would react to a gun in their rooms).
It all starts with good parenting and hard discipline. But obviously i did keep my guns away from my kids while they were young regardless of my trust in them. I usually kept the guns in places they could not reach, even on a chair. A quick hop outta bed and reach into the closet and viola'....but now i keep one at arm's length cause my kids are basically grown and not dumbasses trying to be cool with my guns when i ain't around. To them they are what they are, which is tools for a certain job at a certain time, nothing more.

Cool. Thanks for the info everyone.

I bought my SKS and my AK47 at a gun show. The bonus was that I bought them in advance from the guy and he had it at the show waiting for me. He did the background before hand, so I walked out of there that day with them.

I agree though, I haven't really found a better deal at a show over a store. But yeah, there are usually strictly ammo dealers that bring in palettes of ammo and sell cheap.

Back