Your reaction: The UFC decides to stop producing TUF seasons

Valid question. The only reason is that I'm a big Penn fan, and I want to see how he and Frankie get along. They seem pretty chill around each other, interested in seeing if it lasts.

makes sense. cheers.

i certainly watched Penn v Pulver. "who here wants nothing to do with Jens Pulver?" lol what a total BJ Penn (dick?) move :)

Andy Wang. i cannot remember what else.

I never watch it and don't have any interest in it. It's annoying when it takes up the schedule of big fighters/champions. I think TUF has served its purpose and run its course. Now the FOX deal has happened TUF isn't neccesary anymore to draw in new fans.
It's part of the Fox deal. A show like TUF will never fully serve it's purpose. It's not like you hire 16 good fighters and never have to hire another fighter ever again. UFC needs a constant stream of fighters and TUF is a good way to make these guys slightly known.

Haven't watched it since the Roy Nelson season so I can't really say it would change my life.

It's part of the Fox deal. A show like TUF will never fully serve it's purpose. It's not like you hire 16 good fighters and never have to hire another fighter ever again. UFC needs a constant stream of fighters and TUF is a good way to make these guys slightly known.

I don't think its purpose was ever to make good fighters- it was to make the sport more accessible and mainstream by showing the coaches personalities. Now the sport is mainstream and accessible to casuals thus TUF has served its purpose.

As for producing fighters, how many champions have come out of TUF in all these years its ran? My main gripe though - like others - is that they use champions or top contenders. If they just used veterans exclusively then It would be fine (Wand/Sonnen), but don't use it as the catalyst for a title fight (Pettis/Melendez). It's not worth it. No way Pettis should be wasting his time coaching- he should be defending his belt as much as he can.

I watched every single season and don want to see it go away. Not a whole bunch of good choices on TV Wednesday nights anyway. I'll admit it's harder to watch some seasons over the last few years. Maybe they should have more time between the seasons. If it goes away then life goes on and no big deal. i hope they do something to build it up.

Personally, I like the idea of TUF. It hasn't been executed properly outside of a few seasons, but when it's good, it's GOOD.

The problems with TUF are as follows-

UFC/MMA has a reputation as a low-brow form of entertainment. It's a stereotype, but unfortunetely it's reputation precedes it. That stereotype includes 'JUST BLEED', 'LET ME BANG BRO', Affliction shirts, Beer and bros. It's changing and there are more professionals getting involved in fighting. There are less 'BANG BRO' idiots and that's a good thing. But, to a lot of people not in the know, it's still that stereotypical **** fighting with caged morons.

The UFC should be trying harder to change that reputation. Unfortunately, with TUF, it puts the UFC in a sticky spot. On one hand the 'drama' that the these idiots bring is juicy and great for ratings, but, it's confirms the stereotype. On the other hand, you have a more professional show, which works, but I think the UFC is too nervous to stick to a 'non-drama' filled format. The TUF Sonnen/Jones season is a good example of this- it was completely professional and well done, no idiots and it was successful with ratings (I believe). I thought it turned the corner, then came Honda/Tate, a catty, drama filled shit show that pulled the reputation of the sport back through the mud. I'm not saying only bring in talent that are choir boys. We are all human and act like idiots from time to time, but try to avoid the WWE personas that MMA unfortunately attracts. Like yesterday on the Edgar/Penn premier, there was an idiot who wore polar bear ears to the ring, ridiculous.

Another issue is talent, it's too watered down. There has been TUF China, TUF Can./Aus., TUF Honda/Tate, TUF Sonnen/Silva, TUF Edgar/Tate and TUF Mexico (coming soon) all within the last year and a half. Do one a year, with actual talent from all over the world, and you'll end up with exciting fighters that'll actually put on exciting fights. I don't remember everyone, but imagine a MW season with Laprise, Theodorou, Hall, Gastelum, Samman, Hester, Barnatt, Ferreira(going back a few years, I know), that's legit, actual UFC level talent.

I think the UFC is trying to hang on to the glory days of TUF and match those ratings from season 1, which won't happen. If they want to put out a solid product, they should focus on the true fans who want to see the training, techniques and talent, and forget about reeling people in with the 'juicy' stuff. By doing this I believe they can get good, solid and steady ratings- nothing earth shattering, but a quality show that's good for ratings and a good image for the UFC.

Tuf is like my old crappy friend that never grew up. We've been through a lot and sometimes the stuff he does is embarrassing but we have been friends a long time and had too many good moments to toss it all away

Still watching tuf

I agree champions should never do it, otherwise I like it. Not all seasons produce great fighters, but to say the fighters that come from the later seasons of TUF can't cut it in the UFC is ridiculous...
For example, Kelvin Gastellum (undefeated, beat Story in last fight), Uriah Hall (finished Leben in last fight), Michael Johnson (7-4 in UFC, last three consecutive wins over Lauzon, Tibau, Guillard), Tony Ferguson (4-1 in UFC), Roy Nelson, John Dodson (fought for title), Court McGee, TJ Dillashaw (5-2 in UFC, one loss to Dodson in the finale), Dennis Bermudez (6-1 in UFC, only loss in the TUF Finale). Most are not world beaters, but some quality emerges from TUF.

Wouldnt like it, I like mma and enjoy watching it and seeing up and coming fighters.

Guess I'm alone though.

on sherdog its the cool thing to do to hate TUF because it has the term reality show.

TUF is great for exposing fresh talent and prospects, and putting them through the ringer by making them fight 4 times in 4 weeks

Closest thing to a tournament format going on in the UFC but because its pre-recorded SD HAS to hate it

makes no sense to me

Don't like don't watch. I don't understand why people get so emotional. It can only be a good thing for fighters to gain some exposure. Even those who lose get some name value fighting in smaller promotions.

I don't think its purpose was ever to make good fighters- it was to make the sport more accessible and mainstream by showing the coaches personalities. Now the sport is mainstream and accessible to casuals thus TUF has served its purpose.

As for producing fighters, how many champions have come out of TUF in all these years its ran? My main gripe though - like others - is that they use champions or top contenders. If they just used veterans exclusively then It would be fine (Wand/Sonnen), but don't use it as the catalyst for a title fight (Pettis/Melendez). It's not worth it. No way Pettis should be wasting his time coaching- he should be defending his belt as much as he can.
Whether it produces a champion is irrelevant. It has produced many title contenders. It took Rashad 3 years to become champ after finishing TUF.

It is most certainly used as a marketing tool for up and coming talent and that is it's current primary purpose. Even if it doesn't produce a champ it certainly produces contenders. TJ Dillashaw and John Dodson being the most recent. It also helps hype upcoming fights between coaches.

I am upset by anything that results in me watching less fights.

I like the concept of TUF because it helps create some exposure and maybe even a fan base to young up and coming fighters. Yes, some of the seasons have been boring as hell, but the concept is good so I would be sad to see it go.

Meh I watch every episode, but I wouldn't really care they stopped it. I got enough MMA to watch.

i like it ,,,much better then a lot of tv,,,,but i would prefer less with better quality with possible cuts of the the ufc given the opportunity...

rzL9oba.gif

Only people who haven't watched in years, but love to talk out of their ass complain about TUF. I don't understand any of the complaints about it other than when a champ (that isn't injured) delays fighting because he's coaching. They keep adding good fighters every season so I don't see a reason to stop. The talent on the show hasn't been bad since the US vs. UK and Carwin vs. Nelson seasons. There's good fights on the show, you get introduced to new fighters, and there isn't that much stupid house drama. Maybe they should just avoid having champs that are healthy as coaches on there.

Back