Your recent changes in beliefs

How prevalent is this stuff, really?
24 hour media cycle that looks for shit shock piece stories to sell overhype this shit. Some people are crazy, some people are just looking for attention. A lot of these people were already out there but just got exposed by social media, youtube, etc.
There is no epidemic of this though.

Never said there was an epidemic, but there's certainly an increase. My point was simply that the same acceptance and tolerance we've given to the gays as a society has opened the door for some really crazy shit. Not that it's any fault of the gays, but people are scared to speak out against anything now a days in fear of being labelled a _______aphobe. I just think it's important to set boundaries on what's considered acceptable, that's all.

classic example of egalitarianism taking precedence over the good of the masses.

"if it feels good, do it" at whatever cost to the general population or consensus.

decadence incarnate. societies throughout history who adopted this credo suffered a steady,

painful and speedy decline.

The problem is when you say shit like this people label you a racist or xenophobe. Has nothing to do with culture or race for me. For example, being in Korea, I'm against reunification with the North because I don't see much of good stuff happening if you let millions of starving, brainwashed North Koreans in at once. Not to mention they also grew up being taught South Korean and the US are the devil. I can foresee a lot of violent crime committed by North Koreans and them also being exploited by South Koreans.

I used to be a staunch libertarian but I mellowed out on politics in general. Partially because I realize I can't change much and also I don't know shit about shit.

I don't want to start a Islam debate but I just read this on Huff Post for example:

A White House senior adviser at the Department of Homeland Security once said that “true” Muslims can’t peacefully “coexist” or “mingle with other faiths,” it was revealed in a report this week.

The strikingly Islamophobic remarks were made by Frank Wuco, a former radio host and veteran naval intelligence officer.

So wait a minute...if you criticize an idea, you're instantly Islamophobic? You're telling me the Quran DOESN'T say that other faiths are "demis" and forces them to pay extra taxes and persecutes them?

My beliefs are freedom and equality for all. This means if an idea, a religion or anything subjugates race, gender, etc., I'm going to speak out against it. There's this weird neo-liberal thing going on now where they are so terrified of offending people that they'll support or say ridiculous things and especially when it comes to Islam for some reason. Criticizing Islam is NOT criticizing Muslims or its people.

What's funny is if you criticize Conservative Christians, they laugh along with the jokes. If you criticize Islam, you're called racist (what?), phobic or a right winger. The same people that champion gay rights apparently are fine with gays being thrown to their death in Saudia Arabia from tall buildings for simply being gay just because they are afraid of offending minorities.

I'm afraid I'm about to cause a shit storm...

It’s funny how when people’s beliefs shift, they often feel just as strongly about the new beliefs as they did about the old ones.

You think we’d fucking learn!

I don't want to start a Islam debate but I just read this on Huff Post for example:

So wait a minute...if you criticize an idea, you're instantly Islamophobic? You're telling me the Quran DOESN'T say that other faiths are "demis" and forces them to pay extra taxes and persecutes them?

My beliefs are freedom and equality for all. This means if an idea, a religion or anything subjugates race, gender, etc., I'm going to speak out against it. There's this weird neo-liberal thing going on now where they are so terrified of offending people that they'll support or say ridiculous things and especially when it comes to Islam for some reason. Criticizing Islam is NOT criticizing Muslims or its people.

What's funny is if you criticize Conservative Christians, they laugh along with the jokes. If you criticize Islam, you're called racist (what?), phobic or a right winger. The same people that champion gay rights apparently are fine with gays being thrown to their death in Saudia Arabia from tall buildings for simply being gay just because they are afraid of offending minorities.

I'm afraid I'm about to cause a shit storm...
I think part of the problem here is what is the definition of a "true" Muslim? And would a "true" Christian be able to coexist in today's society?
Are Muslim Americans not "true" Muslims?
There is a tendency to point out what the Koran says to drum up Islamophobia, when there is equally fucked up shit in the Bible.
There are plenty of Muslims that would consider themselves "true" Muslims that coexist just fine in America, and in other nations.
There's about 3 million of them in America. What percentage of them do you think are the ISIS type?

ISIS and Saudi Arabia don't have a monopoly on the religion.

It’s funny how when people’s beliefs shift, they often feel just as strongly about the new beliefs as they did about the old ones.

You think we’d fucking learn!
I think I have learned in this regard. I'm just more mellow on all of my positions now. I know some people who are vehement advocates of whatever new position they take every few months. I can't take them seriously.

I think part of the problem here is what is the definition of a "true" Muslim? And would a "true" Christian be able to coexist in today's society?
There is a tendency to point out what the Koran says to drum up Islamophobia, when there is equally fucked up shit in the Bible.
There are plenty of Muslims that would consider themselves "true" Muslims that coexist just fine in America, and in other nations.
There's about 3 million of them in America. What percentage of them do you think are the ISIS type?

I know plenty of muslims who seem to fit in modern society. I think it all depends on where they were brought up. Saudi girls can't even shake my hand but I know an Iranian girl who hugs me when she sees me. I know Moroccan muslims who drink and fuck around. Then there are some dudes from other muslim countries who act like they never seen a woman before, probably because they haven't.

Before I answer, let me say that I'm personally anti-religion. I do however fully support freedom of religion as long as there is a 100% separation of church and state and doesn't hurt others. Your private religious practices are yours and should be protected.

I think in the context of the article, a "true" Muslim is one that's a fundamentalist. The Christian Bible has some absolutely horrible things and if you had a true fundamentalist Christian that was stoning adulterers and gays, not working on the Sabbath, etc., I don't they would co-exist in today's society. The difference is that there is nowhere in the world where you have fundamentalist Christians doing these things. You'll have the occasional "Evangelical" Christian that threatens an abortion clinic but that's it. The worst thing a modern fundamentalist Christian is going to do is pray for you to be saved because they are afraid you are going to Hell.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of fundamentalist Muslims in the world that imprison or execute gays, have child brides, have beheadings, sever hands and feet for crimes, forcing women at home, not allowing women to vote or drive, having women dress head to toe in clothing to prevent sin, blame the women if she gets raped and the list goes on and on. The thing is, this isn't a small minority. Granted, there are more moderate Muslims in the world than fundamentalists, there is still an uncomfortable number. What's disturbing is if you look at polls from France, Germany and Britain that has seen a rise in Muslim immigration, when there are questions on things like "Do you want Sharia Law" or "Should you go to jail or be killed if you criticize Islam or the prophet?", the numbers aren't 1-3%, they are 30% or higher.

If you are a true liberal or care about freedom and equality, this is a problem. Christians modernized and threw out a lot of their old beliefs. While they still monkey with politics, many of them look at things like the Old Testament as an allegory or something that fit 2000 years ago. I'm just hoping the same happens with Islam.

1. My stupid Fitbit does actually make me exercise more.

2. I might be willing to sacrifice a bit of intelligence and admiration for a long-term partner in exchange for domestic stability (ie. younger girls aren't so bad).

3. The independence that comes with living alone and working from home may be overrated.
Lol @ younger women being capable of domestic stability.

Before I answer, let me say that I'm personally anti-religion. I do however fully support freedom of religion as long as there is a 100% separation of church and state and doesn't hurt others. Your private religious practices are yours and should be protected.

I think in the context of the article, a "true" Muslim is one that's a fundamentalist. The Christian Bible has some absolutely horrible things and if you had a true fundamentalist Christian that was stoning adulterers and gays, not working on the Sabbath, etc., I don't they would co-exist in today's society. The difference is that there is nowhere in the world where you have fundamentalist Christians doing these things. You'll have the occasional "Evangelical" Christian that threatens an abortion clinic but that's it. The worst thing a modern fundamentalist Christian is going to do is pray for you to be saved because they are afraid you are going to Hell.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of fundamentalist Muslims in the world that imprison or execute gays, have child brides, have beheadings, sever hands and feet for crimes, forcing women at home, not allowing women to vote or drive, having women dress head to toe in clothing to prevent sin, blame the women if she gets raped and the list goes on and on. The thing is, this isn't a small minority. Granted, there are more moderate Muslims in the world than fundamentalists, there is still an uncomfortable number. What's disturbing is if you look at polls from France, Germany and Britain that has seen a rise in Muslim immigration, when there are questions on things like "Do you want Sharia Law" or "Should you go to jail or be killed if you criticize Islam or the prophet?", the numbers aren't 1-3%, they are 30% or higher.

If you are a true liberal or care about freedom and equality, this is a problem. Christians modernized and threw out a lot of their old beliefs. While they still monkey with politics, many of them look at things like the Old Testament as an allegory or something that fit 2000 years ago. I'm just hoping the same happens with Islam.
Yes, but these extreme Muslims are in particular areas and countries.
There aren't legal child beatings, beheadings, women beating, killing of gays ,and all of the other extreme shit in most of the modern Muslim nations. Saudi Arabia and Malaysia and Turkey and Muslims in the states do not practice the religion in the same manner
And then not all of this stuff is purely religious, part of it is cultural, and a product of living in a desert as a goat herder.

In regards to that article, what was the point?
Obviously someone with the ideology of ISIS or a Saudi muslim would not be able to live in a Western nation. Those are also not the Muslims that live in Western countries. The muslims living peacefully around the world would consider themselves "true" Muslims, so this White House senior advisor's comments are silly.

I don't put a lot of stock into loaded polls like the ones you mentioned. I look at what i can actually see.
Most of the trouble Ive seen from Muslim immigration is a byproduct of having too many people move in too fast. It doesn't give them a chance to assimilate.
You would see problems of importing a bunch of poor immigrants in masse from whatever country they came from

I feel you. Used to think that I would never die. In my 40s now, been thinking alot about death. And I feel you about telecommuting. Part of the appeal of work sometimes is the comraderie and social interaction. Can get lonely and making home into work, kinda sucks. I like to seperate those....hope all is well with you brutha and hope that lump aint serious.

Agreed man, thanks for the kind words.

Lol @ younger women being capable of domestic stability.

Yea I may have fluked out.

Yes, but these extreme Muslims are in particular areas and countries.
There aren't legal child beatings, beheadings, women beating, killing of gays ,and all of the other extreme shit in most of the modern Muslim nations. Saudi Arabia and Malaysia and Turkey and Muslims in the states do not practice the religion in the same manner
And then not all of this stuff is purely religious, part of it is cultural, and a product of living in a desert as a goat herder.

In regards to that article, what was the point?
Obviously someone with the ideology of ISIS or a Saudi muslim would not be able to live in a Western nation. Those are also not the Muslims that live in Western countries. The muslims living peacefully around the world would consider themselves "true" Muslims, so this White House senior advisor's comments are silly.

I don't put a lot of stock into loaded polls like the ones you mentioned. I look at what i can actually see.
Most of the trouble Ive seen from Muslim immigration is a byproduct of having too many people move in too fast. It doesn't give them a chance to assimilate.
You would see problems of importing a bunch of poor immigrants in masse from whatever country they came from

I guess my issue is that Saudia Arabia is basically the captial of Islam and these things DO happen there. If you pray, you pray in the direction of the Kaaba in Saudia Arabia. If you go on haaj which is required once in a lifetime, you go to Saudia Arabia.

It would basically be the equivalent of Vatican City for Catholicism in Christianity. If priests were executing gays, stoning women and beheading people in the streets, I think there would be outrage in the West. These things are happening in Islam but they get a pass for some reason.

I guess my issue is that Saudia Arabia is basically the captial of Islam and these things DO happen there. If you pray, you pray in the direction of the Kaaba in Saudia Arabia. If you go on haaj which is required once in a lifetime, you go to Saudia Arabia.

It would basically be the equivalent of Vatican City for Catholicism in Christianity. If priests were executing gays, stoning women and beheading people in the streets, I think there would be outrage in the West. These things are happening in Islam but they get a pass for some reason.
I understand your logic and where you're coming from here, but it isn't really that accurate of an analogy.
The Vatican isn't in some medieval backwards land. The Pope can come from practically anywhere in the world.
The problem with a lot of criticism about Islam is that people only look at the religion as the problem. The religion plays a role, but living in a desert, as a nomadic tribal people causes a lot of cultural backwardness. All Muslim countries don't have this same problem.
Saudi Arabia still has a ruling royal family.

Mecca may reside in Saudi Arabia, but it's not like the Vatican. There aren't central orders or anything coming from there. There isn't one Muslim world leader.
There's a lot more variety in how Islam is practiced. The Saudis are on the extreme end of the spectrum.
The extremities don't get "a pass". It's more that the issue is not as simple as people like to make it.

The problem is when you say shit like this people label you a racist or xenophobe. Has nothing to do with culture or race for me. For example, being in Korea, I'm against reunification with the North because I don't see much of good stuff happening if you let millions of starving, brainwashed North Koreans in at once. Not to mention they also grew up being taught South Korean and the US are the devil. I can foresee a lot of violent crime committed by North Koreans and them also being exploited by South Koreans.

I used to be a staunch libertarian but I mellowed out on politics in general. Partially because I realize I can't change much and also I don't know shit about shit.

I voted for Gary Johnson in the last election but my interest in politics is waning. Your right, it all seems futile. I feel as though I'm starting to become more individualistic as I get older, which probably explains my changing views on religion and politics

Back