Your stories of tournament leg locks (lower belts)

Underhookz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Tell me some stories of your lower belt leg locks. Anything from mess ups and getting passed, DQ's, or a beautiful straight ankle that the gods would shed a tear.

My second tournament as a purple belt. Submission only no time limit nogi (Chokefest Lexington KY). I win my advanced weight division then get convinced to go into the absolute division (I weight 155-160lbs). I make it to the finals of the 21-man bracket..........against Jesseray Childrey. He was also a purple belt at the time and weighed in at 308lbs that morning (also competed at ADCC this year, Google him).

45 seconds in after losing the takedown battle and somehow fighting my way out of bottom side control to butterfly, I decide to attempt an ankle lock. TS, those gods you speak of laughed at my frantic stupidity as I tried to ankle-lock this tree trunk of a limb. He calmly reach down, grabbed my foot that was on his hip, and slowly applied a reverse toe hold till I tapped.

Won a match by dq at white belt because my opponent went for the weakest heal hook of all time lol

Local tournament in Atlanta sometime around 2010. Blue belt competing was stuck in a straight ankle lock. His coach was shouting from the sidelines, "Don't tap, that's just a pain move!" One of our black belts, who was set to compete against the coach tells him, "Man, that's terrible advice, you should really tap to those." Coach rolls his eyes and ignores him. (Blue belt tapped. He was fine, though he got some shit from his coach.)

Fast-forward an hour, our black belt competes against said coach. Gets position for a straight ankle lock. Coach doesn't tap, smirks at him. Our guy keeps applying pressure, coach's tibia snaps in half.

Lesson learned for everyone.

team mate of mine was up 8 points in the finals of his first competition at white belt... his opponent, running out of time and desperately trying to win, decided to heel hook my teammate... he was DQ'd.
after the match he said that he was trying for a straight ankle lock but my teammate "put himself into the heel hook" and that he shouldnt have been disqualified

Local tournament in Atlanta sometime around 2010. Blue belt competing was stuck in a straight ankle lock. His coach was shouting from the sidelines, "Don't tap, that's just a pain move!" One of our black belts, who was set to compete against the coach tells him, "Man, that's terrible advice, you should really tap to those." Coach rolls his eyes and ignores him. (Blue belt tapped. He was fine, though he got some shit from his coach.)

Fast-forward an hour, our black belt competes against said coach. Gets position for a straight ankle lock. Coach doesn't tap, smirks at him. Our guy keeps applying pressure, coach's tibia snaps in half.

Lesson learned for everyone.

Man how did that coach get his black belt.

Man how did that coach get his black belt.
You’d be genuinely surprised how many black belts in 2010 still thought ankle locks were pain moves.

There are even some today.

The comp after that one, I got demolished in the gi. I was fired up for no gi absolute. Footlock, footlock, got hit with a rolling toehold/kneebar from standing, then one last footlock for bronze.

pain moves.

Honestly, the entire concept is stupid. Pain is your body telling you that it is suffering damage. Anything that generates the "Fuck, fuck, fuck, this is really bad!" pain response needs to be respected.

When I was a newish blue belt I did a NAGA tournament around the time I was going through a "X-Guard is the answer to everything!" phase. Sure enough, I beat my first opponent with two x-guard sweeps that led to easy guard passes. So when I face my second opponent, I quickly sit to guard, hook my opponents leg and and try to get my x-guard hooks. However, as I do my sloppy entry my opponent grabs my foot and does a rolling toe hold that ended with a loud crunch crunch crunch. Good times.

Back