You're an act. (Carnal Knowledge)

Loiosh

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was watching Carnal Knowledge (1971).

jOk6MVeQrKlVj.jpg

I stumbled across this gem of a scene between Art Garfunkle (Sandy) and Candice Bergen (Susan).

The dialogue was really interesting and I wanted to share it with this forum; I found a copy of the script but I guess they changed it a lot so I just watched the scene again slowly and wrote it out myself.

jbxmCoZSyBQd2f.png

Susan: This is the first time I've ever been to a college mixer.

Sandy: Me too, I hate them.

Susan: I hate them too.

Sandy: Such a phony way of meeting people.

Susan: Everybody puts on an act.

Sandy: So even if you meet someone you don't know who you're meeting.

Susan: You're meeting the act.

Sandy: That's right, not the person.

Susan: I'm not sure I agree.

Sandy: With what?

Susan: With what you said.

Sandy: I don't either.

Susan: You don't agree with what you said?

Sandy: How do you feel about it?

Susan: I think people like to think they're putting on an act but it's not an act it's really them, if they think it's an act they feel better because they think they can always change it.

Sandy: You mean they're kidding themselves because it's not really an act.

Susan: Yes it is an act but they're the act the act is them.

Sandy: But if it's them how can it be an act?

Susan: Because they're an act.

Sandy: But they're also real.

Susan: No.

Sandy: You mean I'm not real?

Susan: No.

Sandy: I'm an act.

Susan: It's all right, I'm an act too. Don't you behave differently with different people?

Sandy: No.

Susan: With your family?

Sandy: I thought you meant different people. Well, sure, with my family.

Susan: And with your friends you're another way.

Sandy: Well, sure...

Susan: With your teachers you're still another way so which way is you?

Sandy: When you put it that way.

I think it's a really interesting take on who we are and how we present ourselves.

So crazy to see Bergen that young.

Damn I liked that shit a lot I think about these things, everybody trying to portray an image, but this goes beyond that in a simple, and brilliant way. More on this story after the next bowl.

Damn I liked that shit a lot I think about these things, everybody trying to portray an image, but this goes beyond that in a simple, and brilliant way. More on this story after the next bowl.

iJ4xcrjCqIRCs.gif

Interesting take but the way I see it, even our acts have our own personal signatures to em. So in a way people are still getting the real us in there, it's just not the stripped down version.

We all do this mildly, some just take it too far which ends in deception. These types are normally problematic in more than one area though and shouldn't be lumped into the generalization with the rest of us.

People act differently in different situations. That's not news to me.

Well it is interesting to think about. Like say when you first meet someone you're interested in dating, it takes a while before you really get to know each other because you are sort of putting on an act at first. Same as when somebody starts a new job. But its hard for me to focus on this now because when you say Carnal Knowledge, all I can think about is this

[YT]-I5oiqRlej4[/YT]

And this is awesome, whatever it is.

iCxEuescZvX3F.gif

Back